Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING: CARDIFF CITY ARE APPEALING & DONT AGREE

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:30 am

Hmmmmmmm / Surely this can't go on anymore?

Not only the name of Cardiff City continually dragged through the dirt yet again, but the costs in lawyers will be fortunes.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

Cardiff City appeal FIFA decision to pay £5m Emiliano Sala transfer fee

Wednesday 2nd October 2019

Cardiff City Football Club will launch an appeal after they were ordered to pay French club Nantes more than £5m in relation to the signing of Emiliano Sala.

The Bluebirds had argued they could not be held liable for the £15million fee because Sala had not registered as a Premier League player, even though Sala was registered with the Welsh FA. as a Cardiff City player.

Earlier this year, Cardiff held talks with Nantes in an attempt to resolve the issue themselves.

The club said they were ''extremely disappointed'' by a decision by FIFA to award Nantes £5.3m - the equivalent to the first instalment of that fee. They said there remains ''clear evidence the transfer agreement was never completed.''
Cardiff City FC is extremely disappointed at the decision of the Players Status Committee to award against the club. It would appear the committee has reached its conclusion on a narrow aspect of the overall dispute, without considering the full documentation presented by Cardiff City FC to FIFA. Nevertheless there remains clear evidence that the transfer agreement was never completed in accordance with multiple contractual requirements which were requested by Nantes, thereby rendering in null and void. We shall be appealing to CAS in order to seek a decision which considers all of the relevant contractual information and provides clarity on the full legal situation between our two clubs. This is a complex matter, which includes ongoing civil and criminal considerations both in the UK and abroad, which will likely have an impact on the validity of the transfer. It is therefore vital that a comprehensive judgement is reached following a full assessment and review of the facts.

– CARDIFF CITY STATEMENT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREAKING: CARDIFF CITY ARE APPEALING & DONT AGREE

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:31 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:44 am

Cardiff City have decided to appeal against Fifa's ruling that they must pay the first instalment of 6m euros (£5.3m) to Nantes for £15m striker Emiliano Sala.

BBC

The Bluebirds will challenge the ruling at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Emiliano Sala: Fifa rules Cardiff must pay first instalment of £5.3m to Nantes

The Argentine, who was 28, died in a plane crash in January while travelling from France to join his new club.

Cardiff and Nantes have since been in dispute over fee payments.

Cardiff have argued they were not liable for any of the full £15m fee because Sala was not officially their player when he died.

The club refused to make interim payments, claiming the deal was not legally binding.

BBC Sport has also learned that the second instalment of the £15m fee agreed for Sala is due to be paid in January 2020.

Nantes argued that having signed with Cardiff, Sala's contract with Nantes was over and that he had become a Cardiff player.

Emiliano Sala: Fifa rules Cardiff must pay first instalment of £5.3m to Nantes

Cardiff recruited Sala while they were in the Premier League and have since been relegated to the Championship.

The Bluebirds believe the transfer was null and void, saying the Premier League had rejected certain clauses requested by Nantes in the original contract and that Sala never had a chance to review or sign the final version, meaning their record signing was not registered as a Premier League player.

The plane carrying Sala and pilot David Ibbotson, 59, crashed in the English Channel on 21 January, two days after the players' transfer was announced.

The footballer's body was recovered from the wreckage, but Ibbotson, from Crowle, North Lincolnshire, has still not been found.

Sala was exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide prior to the crash, a report later revealed.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:47 am

Cardiff to appeal Emiliano Sala transfer fee ruling by FIFA

Sky Sports

02/10/19

Cardiff are to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport over FIFA's decision to order the club to pay £5.3m (€6m) of the transfer fee for Emiliano Sala.

The sum corresponds to the first instalment that Cardiff were due to pay the Ligue 1 club in January, as per the deal agreed for the transfer of the Argentinian striker.

Sala had signed for Cardiff for a £15m fee but died in a plane crash in the English Channel on January 21 as he was flying to the Welsh capital to start training with the then-Premier League side.

Cardiff had refused to pay the fee for Sala as they believed the contract signed was "not legally binding", and Nantes subsequently complained to world football's governing body in February.

Following a meeting in Zurich last Wednesday, FIFA notified both clubs of its findings on Monday.

Cardiff released a statement on Wednesday, confirming the club will be launching an appeal to CAS.

A club spokesman said: "Following FIFA's update on their announcement regarding the transfer of Emiliano Sala, Cardiff City Football Club will be launching an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"Cardiff City FC is extremely disappointed at the decision of the Players Status Committee to award against the club. It would appear the committee has reached its conclusion on a narrow aspect of the overall dispute, without considering the full documentation presented by Cardiff City FC to FIFA.

"Nevertheless there remains clear evidence that the transfer agreement was never completed in accordance with multiple contractual requirements which were requested by Nantes, thereby rendering it null and void.

"We shall be appealing to CAS in order to seek a decision which considers all of the relevant contractual information and provides clarity on the full legal situation between our two clubs.

"This is a complex matter, which includes ongoing civil and criminal considerations both in the UK and abroad, which will likely have an impact on the validity of the transfer. It is therefore vital that a comprehensive judgement is reached following a full assessment and review of the facts."

It has been reported Cardiff will also be liable for the other instalments agreed between the clubs, but FIFA stated it could not comment on this for "confidentiality reasons".

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:59 am

I’m not sure people can make an absolute informed judgement unless they know all the facts, which of course I don’t.

According the the news on the radio the club are adamant they have documents stating that they have proof that Sala wasn’t registered and officially the clubs player at the time of the incident.

They say FIFA has ignored this.
That is why the appeal process is available.

Whether this is true or not I nor anybody else knows.
So apart from the moral stance, I think the club is correct to appeal.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:03 am

The insurance companies and lawyers have already taken over. Morality doesn’t come into it. It’s finance and lawyers now. They would now not let the club pay as it suggests that it was the club at fault. The press will continue to sensationalise this tragic accident and drag Cardiff’s name through the mud, but it is essentially out of the hands of the football club.

I know it seems harsh, but I see this as a tragic accident, not the fault of the club, and we should do everything legally possible to avoid paying anything. You can bet the insurance companies involved will take the same stance.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:03 am

The facts are the contract sala signed wasn't valid and admended one had to be signed but sadly he couldn't there was no guarantee that sala would of signed the new contract as the terms had changed dramatically, i can't believe some people are saying to pay 15 million pound out of our money for this , the same people will moan that we cant sign any players or the debt has increased

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:06 am

bluebird58 wrote:The insurance companies and lawyers have already taken over. Morality doesn’t come into it. It’s finance and lawyers now. They would now not let the club pay as it suggests that it was the club at fault. The press will continue to sensationalise this tragic accident and drag Cardiff’s name through the mud, but it is essentially out of the hands of the football club.

I know it seems harsh, but I see this as a tragic accident, not the fault of the club, and we should do everything legally possible to avoid paying anything. You can bet the insurance companies involved will take the same stance.

!00% not insured as Pilot was not legal and he was not insured to fly by City that night.

It is City who are continuing this terrible/sad case, and don't forget City for 4 weeks told the World "Emiliano Sala was a Cardiff City player."

Yes Sala was not registered with the Premier League to play that weekend, but was registered as a Cardiff City player with the Welsh FA.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:06 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I’m not sure people can make an absolute informed judgement unless they know all the facts, which of course I don’t.

According the the news on the radio the club are adamant they have documents stating that they have proof that Sala wasn’t registered and officially the clubs player at the time of the incident.

Lets hope the club has the evidence to turn the decision. Regardless of what happens I don't think we will come out looking good on this. I would say paying the initial payment ONLY would give a bit of respect for us to the outside world. It's easy for me to say that as its not my money.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:08 am

Replies on FB

Paul Clark: Shamed to a Cardiff City supporter around this, just pay up....

Stewart Davies: It's just pay up and move on Jesus

Dean Freeman: Embarrassing

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:11 am

wez1927 wrote:The facts are the contract sala signed wasn't valid and admended one had to be signed but sadly he couldn't there was no guarantee that sala would of signed the new contract as the terms had changed dramatically, i can't believe some people are saying to pay 15 million pound out of our money for this , the same people will moan that we cant sign any players or the debt has increased

Wez, even you said if we lose the case then we should pay.

Our debt increases through a badly run club behind the scenes over the last 10 years and the £millions we waste in lost court cases time after time.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:12 am

Reply on FB

Darren Royal:

Now Sky sports are reporting it.

What a embarrassment, we are gonna get hammered.
Its not Nantes fault, its that scumbag agent Mckay.
Pay up and go to war with him.
RIP Sala.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 am

It really is horrific.

He obviously wasn’t insured, so not in the hands of the insurance companies at all. The reason the club is kicking up the fuss is that he clearly isn’t covered. You cannot cover a player that isn’t yours and they are now screaming from the rooftops that he isn’t their player... even though telling the world he was (when it suited).

The club said they would pay if they were told they had to - they have been told they have to - and have still refused. I was amazed to read that people are defending the clubs conduct and having the gaul to blame the agent, and even worse... Nantes. :shock:

As I have said previously, if you don’t think this is going to have an effect on future transfers then you are very naive indeed. Any big money transfer and clubs will be very reluctant to amortise them and allow payment in instalments.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:34 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I’m not sure people can make an absolute informed judgement unless they know all the facts, which of course I don’t.

Lets hope the club has the evidence to turn the decision. Regardless of what happens I don't think we will come out looking good on this. I would say paying the initial payment ONLY would give a bit of respect for us to the outside world. It's easy for me to say that as its not my money.

As soon as we pay anything we are liable to pay it all. It's either we pay it all or we appeal against paying anything. Either way, I think everyone would rather this be cleared up as soon as possible but considering its says in the original statement that the case has civil and criminal considerations both in the UK and abroad I think it is safe to say that this will drag on for some time to come.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:The insurance companies and lawyers have already taken over. Morality doesn’t come into it. It’s finance and lawyers now. They would now not let the club pay as it suggests that it was the club at fault. The press will continue to sensationalise this tragic accident and drag Cardiff’s name through the mud, but it is essentially out of the hands of the football club.

!00% not insured as Pilot was not legal and he was not insured to fly by City that night.

It is City who are continuing this terrible/sad case, and don't forget City for 4 weeks told the World "Emiliano Sala was a Cardiff City player."

Yes Sala was not registered with the Premier League to play that weekend, but was registered as a Cardiff City player with the Welsh FA.

I mainly agree with what you say. But you can be sure insurance companies are involved somewhere along the line. If, as is suggested, the plane was not maintained correctly (AAIB report pending), then the plane owners/charter company may be liable. It is not as simple as just Cardiff and Nantes.

Also, when cases are settled out of court, as you mention above, the cost of legal fees is very often more than offset by what might have been awarded by the courts.

I hope our legal team know what they are doing when they are appealing - none of us yet really know what’s going on behind the scenes. It’s a mess. But , like it or not, football at our level is a business and that is what is driving this process.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:41 am

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:The facts are the contract sala signed wasn't valid and admended one had to be signed but sadly he couldn't there was no guarantee that sala would of signed the new contract as the terms had changed dramatically, i can't believe some people are saying to pay 15 million pound out of our money for this , the same people will moan that we cant sign any players or the debt has increased

Our debt increases through a badly run club behind the scenes over the last 10 years and the £millions we waste in lost court cases time after time.

We havnt lost the court case tho it was always going to court fifa is not the court , you just like to bash the at every moment , you listed Langston, we only paid them a fraction of what you said was owed i remember sam hamman and you claiming it was 45 million plus , dave Jones and risdale never had the full amount claimed was owed and malky never had a penny, ole was paid up coz that was his contract , i wonder if you would pay out 15 million if you thought you didnt have to ?

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:41 am

Escott1927 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

As soon as we pay anything we are liable to pay it all. It's either we pay it all or we appeal against paying anything. Either way, I think everyone would rather this be cleared up as soon as possible but considering its says in the original statement that the case has civil and criminal considerations both in the UK and abroad I think it is safe to say that this will drag on for some time to come.

The Sala criminal case may drag on, it’s complex. The case regarding you paying Nantes won’t drag on, the criminal case will have no affect on contractual agreements and the acting of intent on them, regardless of technicalities. Hence why FIFA have ordered the club to pay.

Not being registered with the Premier League just means he was ineligible to play in that competition until he was. Many players are not registered to play in the Premier League but are part of a Premier League club. The registration part which ratified the transfer is with the FAW and their international clearance - both were submitted.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:53 am

People slagging us off should have listened to talksport earlier. Our chairman said Nantes have refused to talk to us from the start. None of us know the facts, so the ones slagging the city off (who they have supposedly supported all their lives) need to look at themselves

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:00 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Badly run club for 16 years Annis.

Last two years a lot better run club.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:01 am

welsh-dragon-days wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

The Sala criminal case may drag on, it’s complex. The case regarding you paying Nantes won’t drag on, the criminal case will have no affect on contractual agreements and the acting of intent on them, regardless of technicalities. Hence why FIFA have ordered the club to pay.

Not being registered with the Premier League just means he was ineligible to play in that competition until he was. Many players are not registered to play in the Premier League but are part of a Premier League club. The registration part which ratified the transfer is with the FAW and their international clearance - both were submitted.

Have a day off. I bet you're loving this arnt you. You act like you know all the details to what is going on when the truth is nobody on this forum knows the full details and are just speculating from what they have read online. The technicalities in the contract, no matter how small they were, could have stopped the transfer all together. Sala could have rejected the changes and done a complete U-turn on the transfer. I have no doubt that if he had arrived in Cardiff the contract would have been amended, but he didn't. Now the courts will decide if he was actually a city player and not fifa.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:05 am

Like I said yesterday, not sure why us fans are worried about it. Has nothing to do with the manager, players or supporters. Finances are dealt with by those at the top, and unless it is about to put us out of business I don't really care one way or the other. The only thing that interests me right now is how well we play against WBA, and whether or not we are good enough to reach the play offs. I know nothing about all this other stuff going on in the background but there are highly paid people who are more than capable of dealing with it. I am sure that if the club are liable for the money they will pay, if not they will have saved themselves a few bob.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:11 am

Not embarrassing at all, there is no room in business for sentiment where over £15,000,000 is concerned. No money will be handed over until all options have been exhausted. Seems normal to me.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:12 am

I think everyone knew it would end up here, the decision by fifa was always going to be appealed by someone.

Well worded statement from the club, fully support it.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:13 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:Like I said yesterday, not sure why us fans are worried about it. Has nothing to do with the manager, players or supporters. Finances are dealt with by those at the top, and unless it is about to put us out of business I don't really care one way or the other. The only thing that interests me right now is how well we play against WBA, and whether or not we are good enough to reach the play offs. I know nothing about all this other stuff going on in the background but there are highly paid people who are more than capable of dealing with it. I am sure that if the club are liable for the money they will pay, if not they will have saved themselves a few bob.

Don't care how we play tonight? :laughing6:

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:15 am

welsh-dragon-days wrote:It really is horrific.

He obviously wasn’t insured, so not in the hands of the insurance companies at all. The reason the club is kicking up the fuss is that he clearly isn’t covered. You cannot cover a player that isn’t yours and they are now screaming from the rooftops that he isn’t their player... even though telling the world he was (when it suited).

The club said they would pay if they were told they had to - they have been told they have to - and have still refused. I was amazed to read that people are defending the clubs conduct and having the gaul to blame the agent, and even worse... Nantes. :shock:

As I have said previously, if you don’t think this is going to have an effect on future transfers then you are very naive indeed. Any big money transfer and clubs will be very reluctant to amortise them and allow payment in instalments.

Don't reply don't feed the troll who is just here to slag off our club at every opportunity ignore his antagonistic posts !!!

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:17 am

trotskie wrote:People slagging us off should have listened to talksport earlier. Our chairman said Nantes have refused to talk to us from the start. None of us know the facts, so the ones slagging the city off (who they have supposedly supported all their lives) need to look at themselves

Excellent post..I wonder how many of our so called fans demanding the club just hand over £15 million would think the same if it was their own money???

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:22 am

Forever Blue wrote:Hmmmmmmm / Surely this can't go on anymore?

Not only the name of Cardiff City continually dragged through the dirt yet again, but the costs in lawyers will be fortunes.

Cardiff City appeal FIFA decision to pay £5m Emiliano Sala transfer fee

Cardiff City Football Club will launch an appeal after they were ordered to pay French club Nantes more than £5m in relation to the signing of Emiliano Sala.

The Bluebirds had argued they could not be held liable for the £15million fee because Sala had not registered as a Premier League player, even though Sala was registered with the Welsh FA. as a Cardiff City player.

Earlier this year, Cardiff held talks with Nantes in an attempt to resolve the issue themselves.

The club said they were ''extremely disappointed'' by a decision by FIFA to award Nantes £5.3m - the equivalent to the first instalment of that fee. They said there remains ''clear evidence the transfer agreement was never completed.''
Cardiff City FC is extremely disappointed at the decision of the Players Status Committee to award against the club. It would appear the committee has reached its conclusion on a narrow aspect of the overall dispute, without considering the full documentation presented by Cardiff City FC to FIFA. Nevertheless there remains clear evidence that the transfer agreement was never completed in accordance with multiple contractual requirements which were requested by Nantes, thereby rendering in null and void. We shall be appealing to CAS in order to seek a decision which considers all of the relevant contractual information and provides clarity on the full legal situation between our two clubs. This is a complex matter, which includes ongoing civil and criminal considerations both in the UK and abroad, which will likely have an impact on the validity of the transfer. It is therefore vital that a comprehensive judgement is reached following a full assessment and review of the facts.

– CARDIFF CITY STATEMENT

This will be a destructive five pages of arguments when no one on here knows the facts, the lawyers know more than everyone here and arguing if we should or if we shouldn't is futile and a waste of everyone's time.

Roathy will do his usual best to slag off the club and drag everyone in, and some will defend and some will attack the club, but like Brexit no one will change their mind, everyone will stick in their own tribe of pay or don't pay.

No matter what the lawyers will take over we will launch our appeal if that fails it will go to the courts and take years for an outcome, so no matter what anyone thinks, this will go on for years!

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 am

Escott1927 wrote:Have a day off. I bet you're loving this arnt you. You act like you know all the details to what is going on when the truth is nobody on this forum knows the full details and are just speculating from what they have read online. The technicalities in the contract, no matter how small they were, could have stopped the transfer all together. Sala could have rejected the changes and done a complete U-turn on the transfer. I have no doubt that if he had arrived in Cardiff the contract would have been amended, but he didn't. Now the courts will decide if he was actually a city player and not fifa.

Stop getting over excited and debate like a normal human. No I am not loving it in the slightest, contrary to popular belief I have nothing against Cardiff at all and you will always find me being completely subjective. I have praised your chairman and also happily stated you were in a better position to challenge this season than we were.

Now onto this, you have answered your own question. Should Sala have landed then there would be no issue is your view, and clearly the view of everybody else who is of rational mind. Technicalities are being played upon, yet in contract law technicalities have become largely irrelevant when acted upon as valid. Which is why the Swansea Trust were asked by Huw Jenkins’ lawyer to tear up the shareholders agreement and settle, even though it “technically” isn’t valid as all shareholders didn’t sign - however they acted as if it was valid due splitting shares in accordance to it.

These things were ironed out of contract law because savvy businessmen were always trying to get one over on their partners or buy out rivals.

The club have said that they will pay if FIFA rules they should, yet now are backtracking on that at breakneck speed. I don’t for one second believe anybody when they say they back that decision. It’s horrendous.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:27 am

No business or their insurers would hand over 15 million quid until ownership had been definitively settled. It hasn't yet. If the the Court of Arbitration for Sport agree with FIFA then we must comply with the contract with Nantes and the insurance companies can then do their stuff

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 am

welsh-dragon-days wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz no one cares go on your own site, you're only here to wind people up and troll the board.