Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Glatzel has to drop for Ward

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:03 am

bluesince62 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:He tries hard and works his ass off but he is just not good enough yet at this level and is costing us points. He missed two sitters again today to add to the multiple other misses this season already.

Danny Ward comes on and scores the chances Glatzel is missing.

It's a no brainer for me , Ward has to start the next game.

I dont want to be negative about Glatzel but you cant keep letting him miss these chances, hes tried hard but needs to drop now.

Glatzel didnt have the kind of chances ward had wards were on ground 10yrds out glatzel had one such opportunity and good save from goalie! Yes had opportunities but not as easy as wards...we Play ward but then what? Unless change way we play going to be same result as glatzel! Nw as to change way we play or wont matter whos upfront :old:

I see your point Al but if you score 2 as sub and don’t start next game that doesn’t send out a very good message. Imho.

Very good point,if I was ward,I'd be kicking neils door down and demanding I start,Glatzel has had poor service,has been having to adapt to what is alien to him,he will come good I believe,but needs a rest imo.but will neil start him is another thing. :old: :bluebird:

No problem with giving ward a go but can you honestly say he will fair any better with our tactics? People comparing glatzel misses to ward goals? Totally unfair as 1st goal ward ran through to beat goalie 2nd clear header straight into his head! Both were good balls to him! glatzels we good chances but nowhere as simple as people make out certainly not easier as wards? And People forgetting he scored with his head which was better than wards unfortunately offside, NW needs to look at way he sets up team to get best out of all the forwards. :old:

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:38 am

ElyBoy1984 wrote:
It is poor, Warnock made a mistake on Glatzel. I thought this after 2 games but kept quiet. For me, Glatzel is far too weak for his size. Weak in the air, weak in contact, He seems to lack a poachers instinct and doesn't yet look on our sides wave length. I think Glatzel can improve, i'm not writing him off, but we can't afford to wait.
Patterson/Bogle suit our style best, with Ward off the bench.
Having said all this, i think our defending as a unit is the real problem. The midfield isn't protecting our defence.

Great post and agree fully :thumbup:

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:39 am

pembroke allan wrote:No problem with giving ward a go but can you honestly say he will fair any better with our tactics?

YES... :thumbup:

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:56 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:No problem with giving ward a go but can you honestly say he will fair any better with our tactics?

He will when every striker we have had as failed to do anything under our tactics? And you must be very optimistic he can play upfront on his own marked by 2 men with no support 40yrds from goal with back to goal? And you think NW will change tactics...... :laughing6:

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:10 am

We have got good players and a good squad but it’s not quite happening at the moment but we are still there or there abouts.

We need to play with 2 strikers (we’ve got enough to choose from) and sort out what I was think is our 3 main problems at the moment

We give the ball away to easily and don’t keep possession well enough

We concede too many goals away from home (due mainly to the reason above)

Our wingers aren’t contributing enough (we have got an embarrassment of riches out wide but none of the 4 are consistent enough at present)

Overall we are still good enough to sneak into top 6 but things need to improve fairly quickly

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:26 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

He will when every striker we have had as failed to do anything under our tactics? And you must be very optimistic he can play upfront on his own marked by 2 men with no support 40yrds from goal with back to goal? And you think NW will change tactics...... :laughing6:

I don’t think he’ll fair any better at all tbh. Just think 2 goals in 20 mins deserves a starting place. Glatzel can also have a break.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

When Glatzel , Zahore and Patterson Madine play we pump long balls to the centre and expect them to hold it up which is there job but none are particularly good at it.
When Ward and Bogle play we tend to pass the ball a lot more and play in balls behind the defenders for them to run onto.
Bogle and Ward are a lot better at getting into goalscoring positions because they have the footballing brain to go with the talent. Glatzel does not have it at this level, it's becoming more obvious every week and hes costing us points, he needs to go into the development team and score some goals getting used to british football and coming on as a sub for the first team

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Play the 2 together with 1 winger switching wings for 45 mins, worth a try.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:43 pm

thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

When Glatzel , Zahore and Patterson Madine play we pump long balls to the centre and expect them to hold it up which is there job but none are particularly good at it.
When Ward and Bogle play we tend to pass the ball a lot more and play in balls behind the defenders for them to run onto.
Bogle and Ward are a lot better at getting into goalscoring positions because they have the footballing brain to go with the talent. Glatzel does not have it at this level, it's becoming more obvious every week and hes costing us points, he needs to go into the development team and score some goals getting used to british football and coming on as a sub for the first team

So lump ball upto glatzel which is not his strength so you say? Yet play ball on ground for ward/ bogle? Why not play same way for glatzel as ward/bogle and people wonder why glatzel doesn't appear to do much on pitch except miss chances that sometimes come to him ? If going to play on floor for one do same for rest makes more sense than blasting player for not being able to adapt to alien football NW plays

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Can I just say Patterson who you all think is terrible scored goals in the premiership and on record is our best striker besides maybe Ward who is finding the net lately.

People saying Warnock is playing the wrong game for our strikers strange that Zohore is still not scoring with the best team in the championship and they play differently to us. Glatzel works hard so does Patterson I would play Patterson up front with Ward then bring on Glatzel on as a sub

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Ward can play wide in a 3...so I'd be tempted to play Bogle as a CF with Ward right and Murphy or Hoilett left. That way, when attacking down the left Ward can get into the box to help support Bogle and as well as this Ward would be an effective attacker on corners and free kicks....he has a knack of being in the right place to get on the end of crosses as he showed at West Brom. He deserves a run of games. The way we play, with Glatzel on his own up front, with his current limitations, we are simply too easy to defend against in open play especially as our wingers are not contributing as much as they should be.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:56 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

So lump ball upto glatzel which is not his strength so you say? Yet play ball on ground for ward/ bogle? Why not play same way for glatzel as ward/bogle and people wonder why glatzel doesn't appear to do much on pitch except miss chances that sometimes come to him ? If going to play on floor for one do same for rest makes more sense than blasting player for not being able to adapt to alien football NW plays

I agree with you but that's not what happens.
When Ward came on yesterday the whole game plan changed and nearly worked. We lump balls up when we have a target man but play football when we dont. Maybe it's because Glatzel cant do the running the others can do or is not as good as them. Up to Neil to decide but we look a lot poorer with Glatzel in the team at the moment

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:40 pm

thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I agree with you but that's not what happens.
When Ward came on yesterday the whole game plan changed and nearly worked. We lump balls up when we have a target man but play football when we dont. Maybe it's because Glatzel cant do the running the others can do or is not as good as them. Up to Neil to decide but we look a lot poorer with Glatzel in the team at the moment

Why did it change Why not play like it from start?
And Tbh we will never know what running glatzel does as he's spending most of his time 40yds from goal fighting two defenders? We do look poorer with him in side but I'm not that positive we'll be any different with ward upfront on his own or any other player for that matter? It needs a change of attitude and approach from NW but only showed it twice Fulham away after 80mins!!! and utd when to late... I hope he can sort out the problems that is there for all to see but seriously doubt it as it appears the players and the coaches dont see what us fans seen after 11 games :old:

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
ElyBoy1984 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Earnie only scored "tap ins"....Being in the right position and capable to react is what differentiates strikers.

From what i have seen Paterson is more capable than Glatzel to do what Warnock wants. I don't think he is a better striker, though.

I am not sure about the Glatzel Ward partnership, they both work and will end up in each others space.

I don't think 4231 works for us. Paterson or Tomlin are neither skilled or mobile enough for the luxury position of AMC position.

a 433 of Pack, Ralls, Bacuna with the option of Vaulks gives us more solidity and the platform to CREATE chances rather than living off scraps.

Patterson is better at 9 than Glatzel and has premiership experience.

We have a striker in the stands we spent 6 million on , pretty poor that we spent 12 million on 2 players and people would pick a utility man to start up front before them both

Christ, i totally forgot about him !!!!!

It would seem that Sir Neil has too!

Its desperate that we have signed, sorry Sir Neil and the transfer committee, have sighed the strikers they have, and reasonable argument can be put forward to start a utility right back.

We gave to change our system surely to facilitate two up front and give them a chance to form an understanding.

Its not just about misfiring strikers but lack of service from misfiring wide men. We've had next to nothing offensively from Hoilet, ML, Whyte or Murphy all of whom have been given loads of opportunities.

At this stage, I'm less bothered by which two it is but time to see Glatzel, Ward, Tomlin or Bogle, or at a stretch Paterson or Madine, played as a proper front two. Don't care what wide men sacrificed, bolster the central midfield area at the same time.

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Ward starts or play 2 up top .