Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Glatzel has to drop for Ward

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 pm

He tries hard and works his ass off but he is just not good enough yet at this level and is costing us points. He missed two sitters again today to add to the multiple other misses this season already.

Danny Ward comes on and scores the chances Glatzel is missing.

It's a no brainer for me , Ward has to start the next game.

I dont want to be negative about Glatzel but you cant keep letting him miss these chances, hes tried hard but needs to drop now.

Re: Glatzel has to drop for Ward

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:16 pm

thomasblue wrote:He tries hard and works his ass off but he is just not good enough yet at this level and is costing us points. He missed two sitters again today to add to the multiple other misses this season already.

I dont want to be negative about Glatzel but you cant keep letting him miss these chances, hes tried hard but needs to drop now.

Glatzel didnt have the kind of chances ward had wards were on ground 10yrds out glatzel had one such opportunity and good save from goalie! Yes had opportunities but not as easy as wards...we Play ward but then what? Unless change way we play going to be same result as glatzel! Nw as to change way we play or wont matter whos upfront :old:

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:21 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:He tries hard and works his ass off but he is just not good enough yet at this level and is costing us points. He missed two sitters again today to add to the multiple other misses this season already.

Glatzel didnt have the kind of chances ward had wards were on ground 10yrds out glatzel had one such opportunity and good save from goalie! Yes had opportunities but not as easy as wards...we Play ward but then what? Unless change way we play going to be same result as glatzel! Nw as to change way we play or wont matter whos upfront :old:

I see your point Al but if you score 2 as sub and don’t start next game that doesn’t send out a very good message. Imho.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:23 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

He had easier chances than Ward , he should have buried The chance 60seconds before his disallowed goal. He was unmarked 6 yards out and headed it wide.
He also miss kicked a ball from Hoilett on about 30 mins which he should be getting a solid shot on target at least and in reality scoring. That is two big big chances which any half decent striker would take at this level.
He has constantly missed chances over the last few weeks and when Zahore was doing the same he was getting pelted.
I'm not giving up on him yet but Ward has proven he can do it at this level and is actually scoring it when the chances come his way.
Glatzel is still a gamble on whether he is even good enough to play this level and at the moment he has not shown that he is capable

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:35 pm

thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

He had easier chances than Ward , he should have buried The chance 60seconds before his disallowed goal. He was unmarked 6 yards out and headed it wide.
He also miss kicked a ball from Hoilett on about 30 mins which he should be getting a solid shot on target at least and in reality scoring. That is two big big chances which any half decent striker would take at this level.
He has constantly missed chances over the last few weeks and when Zahore was doing the same he was getting pelted.
I'm not giving up on him yet but Ward has proven he can do it at this level and is actually scoring it when the chances come his way.
Glatzel is still a gamble on whether he is even good enough to play this level and at the moment he has not shown that he is capable

Don't dispute wards credentials but city dont play way that suits any forward .? That miss you say I was behind goal ball was curved in and bit high looked easier than it was.... other thing is yes he misses chances like you say but he spends most match fighting 2 defenders with no help so when chance does come its highlighted when he misses. Put ward today and he would not have scored as been knackered by 70th minute :thumbup:

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Earnie only scored "tap ins"....Being in the right position and capable to react is what differentiates strikers.

From what i have seen Paterson is more capable than Glatzel to do what Warnock wants. I don't think he is a better striker, though.

I am not sure about the Glatzel Ward partnership, they both work and will end up in each others space.

I don't think 4231 works for us. Paterson or Tomlin are neither skilled or mobile enough for the luxury position of AMC position.

a 433 of Pack, Ralls, Bacuna with the option of Vaulks gives us more solidity and the platform to CREATE chances rather than living off scraps.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:46 pm

Danny Ward looked sharp in his appearance against QPR mid week, always on the last man with better movement, more of a poacher than Glatzel. I don't want to get on Glatzel's back too much as he might read this board. But, I'd put Bogle ahead of Glatzel until he improves, which he might.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:47 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Don't dispute wards credentials but city dont play way that suits any forward .? That miss you say I was behind goal ball was curved in and bit high looked easier than it was.... other thing is yes he misses chances like you say but he spends most match fighting 2 defenders with no help so when chance does come its highlighted when he misses. Put ward today and he would not have scored as been knackered by 70th minute :thumbup:

Ward doesnt need to fight the defenders , he sits on the shoulder and runs off them. He also seems better at getting into goalscoring positions. Time will tell with Glatzel but one goal from open play in 10 games is not a great start. That means he is on target to average 5 goals this season. Ward is on 3 already after only playing 70 minutes of football.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:48 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Earnie only scored "tap ins"....Being in the right position and capable to react is what differentiates strikers.

From what i have seen Paterson is more capable than Glatzel to do what Warnock wants. I don't think he is a better striker, though.

I am not sure about the Glatzel Ward partnership, they both work and will end up in each others space.

I don't think 4231 works for us. Paterson or Tomlin are neither skilled or mobile enough for the luxury position of AMC position.

a 433 of Pack, Ralls, Bacuna with the option of Vaulks gives us more solidity and the platform to CREATE chances rather than living off scraps.

Patterson is better at 9 than Glatzel and has premiership experience.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Ward has done well coming off the bench but Not sure I agree He should start. Wards come on late, playing against tired defenders in games where we’ve been behind and had to throw players forward in order to try and rescue a point. It’s much easier to come on in those circumstances and make an impact than starting, especially playing away from home.

Gratzel is quality player and will get better the more he adapts to the Championship. He also puts in a shift. Personally I think he’s better than anything we’ve had in a while. All that’s missing at the moment is his finishing. Problem is were only creating one or two chances a game for his at the most which means he’s snatching at them. He needs better service. If he gets that and get his confidence back in front of goal and start putting away his chances, then we’ve got what we’ve needed up front in years.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:53 pm

ElyBoy1984 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Earnie only scored "tap ins"....Being in the right position and capable to react is what differentiates strikers.

We have a striker in the stands we spent 6 million on , pretty poor that we spent 12 million on 2 players and people would pick a utility man to start up front before them both

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:56 pm

ChippyAl wrote:Ward has done well coming off the bench but Not sure I agree He should start. Wards come on late, playing against tired defenders in games where we’ve been behind and had to throw players forward in order to try and rescue a point. It’s much easier to come on in those circumstances and make an impact than starting, especially playing away from home.

Gratzel is quality player and will get better the more he adapts to the Championship. He also puts in a shift. Personally I think he’s better than anything we’ve had in a while. All that’s missing at the moment is his finishing. Problem is were only creating one or two chances a game for his at the most which means he’s snatching at them. He needs better service. If he gets that and get his confidence back in front of goal and start putting away his chances, then we’ve got what we’ve needed up front in years.

I share your concerns about Wa4d as a starter but time has come to drop Glatzel and try Ward/Bogle/Patterson. Personally i'd play Patterson repkacing him with Ward 60 minutes onwards.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:00 pm

thomasblue wrote:
ElyBoy1984 wrote:

We have a striker in the stands we spent 6 million on , pretty poor that we spent 12 million on 2 players and people would pick a utility man to start up front before them both

Christ, i totally forgot about him !!!!!

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:01 pm

ElyBoy1984 wrote:

I personally think Patterson has been dreadful so far this season. I love his energy and work rate and he can head the ball but he has very little quality in possession. He definitely shouldn’t be starting

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:02 pm

ElyBoy1984 wrote:
ChippyAl wrote:Ward has done well coming off the bench but Not sure I agree He should start. Wards come on late, playing against tired defenders in games where we’ve been behind and had to throw players forward in order to try and rescue a point. It’s much easier to come on in those circumstances and make an impact than starting, especially playing away from home.

I share your concerns about Wa4d as a starter but time has come to drop Glatzel and try Ward/Bogle/Patterson. Personally i'd play Patterson repkacing him with Ward 60 minutes onwards.

Anyone but Paterson that is 2 steps backwards.... I understand fans frustration at glatzel but can anyone say any forward played well and scored anywhere enough under NW with style of football? There lies the problem not the player..

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:08 pm

thomasblue wrote:
ElyBoy1984 wrote:

It is poor, Warnock made a mistake on Glatzel. I thought this after 2 games but kept quiet. For me, Glatzel is far too weak for his size. Weak in the air, weak in contact, He seems to lack a poachers instinct and doesn't yet look on our sides wave length. I think Glatzel can improve, i'm not writing him off, but we can't afford to wait.
Patterson/Bogle suit our style best, with Ward off the bench.
Having said all this, i think our defending as a unit is the real problem. The midfield isn't protecting our defence.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:12 pm

To be honest I dont see what gives anybody the impression Glatzel is a quality player. He has only shown his work ethic so far.
You say he only has 2 chances a game, given he has only scored one goal from open play in 10 games, that means he scores one goal out of every 20 chances made for him. Pretty poor at any standard

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:17 pm

thomasblue wrote:

To be honest I dont see what gives anybody the impression Glatzel is a quality player. He has only shown his work ethic so far.
You say he only has 2 chances a game, given he has only scored one goal from open play in 10 games, that means he scores one goal out of every 20 chances made for him. Pretty poor at any standard

Just add him to all the other forward players that fail at city all hard working but dont score enough Ken for instance? :thumbup: like said all for trying someone like ward but he won't fair any better if gets same service as glatzel which really is the problem more than the players.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:22 pm

thomasblue wrote:

What ever people say about our style of play, Glatzel has had chances and muffed them. He may come good medium term but he should be dropped. My only reservation is the mental damage caused by dropping him after starting the season as our star striker.
Bit of a tricky one.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:22 pm

ElyBoy1984 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
ElyBoy1984 wrote:

It is poor, Warnock made a mistake on Glatzel. I thought this after 2 games but kept quiet. For me, Glatzel is far too weak for his size. Weak in the air, weak in contact, He seems to lack a poachers instinct and doesn't yet look on our sides wave length. I think Glatzel can improve, i'm not writing him off, but we can't afford to wait.
Having said all this, i think our defending as a unit is the real problem. The midfield isn't protecting our defence.

It’s amazing how people see things so differently but I guess that’s the beauty of football. Personally, I don’t think Bogle or Patterson offer anywhere near as much as Gratzel. The only thing missing is his finishing but you also need to look at the service he’s getting.

Bogle has been here a few seasons. If he was that good he’d be staring by now. Patterson runs around a lot and wins a few headers but he has no where near enough quality on the ball to play behind the striker. He’s also been terrible so far this season.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:38 pm

thomasblue wrote:

I said one or two at the most. Bit of a difference. Gratzel has one chance against QPR and one today. Most strikers at this level need way more than that in order score regularly. He has been living of scraps. He’s shown way more than work rate in my eyes.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:45 pm

ChippyAl wrote:
ElyBoy1984 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
ElyBoy1984 wrote:

It’s amazing how people see things so differently but I guess that’s the beauty of football. Personally, I don’t think Bogle or Patterson offer anywhere near as much as Gratzel. The only thing missing is his finishing but you also need to look at the service he’s getting.

Bogle has been here a few seasons. If he was that good he’d be staring by now. Patterson runs around a lot and wins a few headers but he has no where near enough quality on the ball to play behind the striker. He’s also been terrible so far this season.

Patterson led our line in the Premier league and we nearly achieved the impossible. Didn't he finish top scorer?

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:52 pm

ChippyAl wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

I said one or two at the most. Bit of a difference. Gratzel has one chance against QPR and one today. Most strikers at this level need way more than that in order score regularly. He has been living of scraps. He’s shown way more than work rate in my eyes.

Maybe he's not getting into positions because he's not a poacher like Ward. If he's not a poacher, we have to look at Glatzels other attributes, work rate/hold up play/link up play. His work rate is good. No complaints
His link up is decent at times tbf but holding it up with a defender in his back. So weak. After two games i wondered if Warnock scouted him thoroughly or just looked at his physical stats and assumed he'd be strong.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:10 pm

ElyBoy1984 wrote:
ChippyAl wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Maybe he's not getting into positions because he's not a poacher like Ward. If he's not a poacher, we have to look at Glatzels other attributes, work rate/hold up play/link up play. His work rate is good. No complaints
His link up is decent at times tbf but holding it up with a defender in his back. So weak. After two games i wondered if Warnock scouted him thoroughly or just looked at his physical stats and assumed he'd be strong.

Well NW likes certain types of players and glatzel fits that! Take wards goals 1st when does gratzel get such balls into him running to goal? 2nd ward goal at near post gratzel is never at near post because tactics seem to be tall men in middle every time at dead ball situation! And tbh how is he supposed to do anything with 2 players marking him and city players 30yrds away? We could be talking about every forward played by NW! nothing changes does it?

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:01 pm

I know a lot of people don't rate Paterson, but I cannot forget the aggression and the goals in the premiership.

With specialist training from someone like Shearer we could have had a good number 9 for this division.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:42 pm

ElyBoy1984 wrote:
ChippyAl wrote:
ElyBoy1984 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
ElyBoy1984 wrote:

Patterson led our line in the Premier league and we nearly achieved the impossible. Didn't he finish top scorer?

He scored 4 in 27. He played up front out of necessity. The experiment worked for a while but for the most part it didn’t. Part of the reason we were relegated was because we didn’t score enough.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:37 pm

So 4 goals out of 27 games in the premership 6 as sub. Seems the best option in a lower league. Only 24 surely with specialist training he can get better. We seem to have spent 11 Million on 2 players which are either not good enough or need more time.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Grandstand wrote:So 4 goals out of 27 games in the premership 6 as sub. Seems the best option in a lower league. Only 24 surely with specialist training he can get better. We seem to have spent 11 Million on 2 players which are either not good enough or need more time.

Patto has been dreadful so far this season. He does not deserves to start over Glatzel. Managers selection backs this up

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:43 pm

You say Patterson has been terrible but not as number 9. Worth a try at some point.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:17 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I see your point Al but if you score 2 as sub and don’t start next game that doesn’t send out a very good message. Imho.

Very good point,if I was ward,I'd be kicking neils door down and demanding I start,Glatzel has had poor service,has been having to adapt to what is alien to him,he will come good I believe,but needs a rest imo.but will neil start him is another thing. :old: :bluebird: