Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A quarter of the way through the season

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:21 pm

And so far having seen every minute of every game I've seen nothing to suggest that we will finish anywhere other than about where we are now.

In fact having only played one of the top six teams in the league I would say that we'll probably end up somewhere between 12th and 15th.

Don't be fooled by the two excellent Danny Ward goals that gave some respectability to the score line today - we were thoroughly outplayed in every aspect of the game including in the dugout.

The division has moved on whilst we seem to have gone backwards since last season. Remember we were a Premier League team last season and West Brom were a Championship team yet on the evidence of today's performance by both teams they are now miles ahead of us.

Their first goal was scored by a player on loan from Sporting Lisbon whereas our main threat was coming from Oxford United and the German Second Division.

Still there will definitely be one positive from this season - our debt should be coming down nicely!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: A quarter of the way through the season

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:14 pm

Is this being outplayed or we talking passing game?
Wba/city
Possession 66/34
Shots 15/18
On target 8/8
Corners 6/10

Yes they were better team probably best in championship but are we not being blinded by way we play compared to other teams style?

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:12 am

pembroke allan wrote:Is this being outplayed or we talking passing game?
Wba/city
Possession 66/34
Shots 15/18
On target 8/8
Corners 6/10

Yes they were better team probably best in championship but are we not being blinded by way we play compared to other teams style?

Have to agree,ward deserves to start next game,give Glatzel a rest on the bench.apart from possession we matched them,and in some cases bettered them, we need to attack earlier in games,make teams be wary,but will that happen :?: :?: :?: :old: :bluebird:

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:46 am

I agree with the OP we have been crap so far this season. I don't agree we can't improve. Firstly our so called rock solid defence is anything but and we are leaking too many goals.

I don't blame the keeper but I do point the finger at the whole of the back four who are not doing their primary job well enough and it has to be back to basics on the training field.

The holding players by in large are doing a good job but we Tomlin in the side and Ward to lead the line. Whatever is wrong with our wide players needs to be sorted out pronto because that is the one area where we do have real quality.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I agree with the OP we have been crap so far this season. I don't agree we can't improve. Firstly our so called rock solid defence is anything but and we are leaking too many goals.

I don't blame the keeper but I do point the finger at the whole of the back four who are not doing their primary job well enough and it has to be back to basics on the training field.

The holding players by in large are doing a good job but we Tomlin in the side and Ward to lead the line. Whatever is wrong with our wide players needs to be sorted out pronto because that is the one area where we do have real quality.

Agreed. Wide players massively underperformed so far.
For a side based on solid defence, its not happening.
QpR scoreline flattered us massively as we were completely outplayed. Patersons "strike" sums up how lucky we were.
Stats can lie and if such a strike is an attempt on target so be it but we won't score many from efforts like it.
Reality is we surrender possession all the time. If the opposition has two thirds of the ball and we have a third of it in all probability we won't score as many goals as we concede.
Neither of our two centre halfs are top end of the chamionship defenders and when Ralls has been our best player so far this season it doesn't say much about the rest.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:15 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:I agree with the OP we have been crap so far this season. I don't agree we can't improve. Firstly our so called rock solid defence is anything but and we are leaking too many goals.

QpR scoreline flattered us massively as we were completely outplayed. Patersons "strike" sums up how lucky we were.
Stats can lie and if such a strike is an attempt on target so be it but we won't score many from efforts like it.
Reality is we surrender possession all the time. If the opposition has two thirds of the ball and we have a third of it in all probability we won't score as many goals as we concede.
Neither of our two centre halfs are top end of the chamionship defenders and when Ralls has been our best player so far this season it doesn't say much about the rest.

QPR were crap when played us they offered absolutely nothing for most match ! We took our chances it's that simple and in reality if we taken half chances we made this season we would be near top despite way we play... reason not there is obvious and sort that part of game we will be top 6 easily..

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:28 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:

I think we’ll compete for a playoff spot. As long as we’re competitive then I’m happy. West Brom will win the league fairly easily IMO. They’re definitely the best team in the league at the moment.

QPR were crap when played us they offered absolutely nothing for most match ! We took our chances it's that simple and in reality if we taken half chances we made this season we would be near top despite way we play... reason not there is obvious and sort that part of game we will be top 6 easily..

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:32 pm

I think we’ll compete for a playoff spot. As long as we’re competitive then I’m happy. West Brom will win the league fairly easily IMO. They’re definitely the best team in the league at the moment.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:41 pm

I disagree that the team were thoroughly outplayed yesterday. Yes they deserved to lose and yes there was a difference in class within their forward line compared to ours but they were not thrashed. There is a sense of grit and resilience to City and give Ward some credit for bringing some respectability to the result.
It is clear thought this side absolutely lacks flair and without more quality this side are not going to challenge the top six. For this season, i just hope City can stay within the top 10 by Christmas and for once have a decent January window. A couple of loan signings to add class from Premier league sides and maybe there is a chance to be in the mix. Aston Villa were ninth on Boxing day and look where they are now.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:12 pm

We will be top 6. Beat Wednesday and that 11 from that group of 6 games which is top 6 form. First 6 we had 8 which isn’t terrible considering our injury problems at that time.

Plenty of teams up their will drop right down and other will rise up hence why it’s pointless even looking at the table yet. Just got to focus on picking up enough points ourselves and 1 defeat in what 8(?) and too the team I expect to win the league isn’t bad at all.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:12 pm

To me we are a hard working but completely flair free side who will finish in mid table.Has anyone noticed we have the worst defensive record away from home in the division conceding 13 goals. It is one of the worst in the football league. Warnocks over cautious defensive set up simply isn't working away from home.

The odd thing for me is man for man the team does not look worse than the team that got promoted two season ago. Maybe this lot simply don't have the same will to win as that team,or maybe as someone has suggested the championship has moved on since we gat promoted.Most of us can put up we possession free hoofball is we are winning but it gets tedious if we are losing.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:27 pm

The OP - David’s - is known for his negativity and doom & gloom but he gives a well balanced view in my opinion.

I didn’t watch the WBA game but listening on the radio then I also agree that we were outplayed and second best including the score line.

I still think with a bit (or a lot) of luck we may yet compete for 6th place.

I’ve said on another thread recently that I believe Warnock’s time at Cardiff City should come to an end after this season and a new direction found looked at. That’s coming from a big Warnock fan.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:50 pm

phildavies wrote:We will be top 6. Beat Wednesday and that 11 from that group of 6 games which is top 6 form. First 6 we had 8 which isn’t terrible considering our injury problems at that time.

Plenty of teams up their will drop right down and other will rise up hence why it’s pointless even looking at the table yet. Just got to focus on picking up enough points ourselves and 1 defeat in what 8(?) and too the team I expect to win the league isn’t bad at all.

We will not beat Sheff Wed
They are a very good counter attacking team with a lot of pace up top.
Harris and Reach will be a nightmare for our full backs

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:45 pm

We will be fine - a top 10 finish is probably where we should end up but we all know football doesn’t work that way. We’ve still a lot of players to return to full fitness and a transfer window to put things right.

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:19 am

Crayfish wrote:To me we are a hard working but completely flair free side who will finish in mid table.Has anyone noticed we have the worst defensive record away from home in the division conceding 13 goals. It is one of the worst in the football league. Warnocks over cautious defensive set up simply isn't working away from home.

The odd thing for me is man for man the team does not look worse than the team that got promoted two season ago. Maybe this lot simply don't have the same will to win as that team,or maybe as someone has suggested the championship has moved on since we gat promoted.Most of us can put up we possession free hoofball is we are winning but it gets tedious if we are losing.

I don't think the quality of the league has improved that much in one season. You summed up the problem in the first paragraph, our record on the road is shocking and that is because our defence isnt as strong as it was in that season. Losing Manga and Bamba to injury has been a massive loss for us. Whereas our defence was strong enough to soak up pressure and protect a single goal lead the season we went up, this season we simply are not doing that. I would put Bamba in for Morrison when he is fit and try bring in a better RB in January.

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
Crayfish wrote:To me we are a hard working but completely flair free side who will finish in mid table.Has anyone noticed we have the worst defensive record away from home in the division conceding 13 goals. It is one of the worst in the football league. Warnocks over cautious defensive set up simply isn't working away from home.

I don't think the quality of the league has improved that much in one season. You summed up the problem in the first paragraph, our record on the road is shocking and that is because our defence isnt as strong as it was in that season. Losing Manga and Bamba to injury has been a massive loss for us. Whereas our defence was strong enough to soak up pressure and protect a single goal lead the season we went up, this season we simply are not doing that. I would put Bamba in for Morrison when he is fit and try bring in a better RB in January.

I agree Escott.

As well as taking out Manga and Bamba, we are also without Etheridge too. Manga was our best defender by some distance even when playing out of position at rb. He is a big miss. Especially his mobility. He made mistakes but could redeem himself most times. Morrison and Flint make mistakes but can't redeem them as they are too slow. I do worry Bambas injury will mean he may not return to what we all hope he will be.

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:07 pm

thomasblue wrote:
phildavies wrote:We will be top 6. Beat Wednesday and that 11 from that group of 6 games which is top 6 form. First 6 we had 8 which isn’t terrible considering our injury problems at that time.

We will not beat Sheff Wed
They are a very good counter attacking team with a lot of pace up top.
Harris and Reach will be a nightmare for our full backs

Nothing like a bit of optimism :lol:

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 am

A poor start a lot of players injured but we are picking up, following the recent form we should be in the top eight by the end of the season, but I think we will improve and finish around fourth.

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Bluebina wrote:A poor start a lot of players injured but we are picking up, following the recent form we should be in the top eight by the end of the season, but I think we will improve and finish around fourth.

After watching the first 10 games I think we'll finish around where we are now tbh. Hope your right though.

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:51 pm

Happy that we are not too far off top 6 but one are very one dimensional....not sure we have a plan b when things aren’t working .
Some positives are Whyte and Glatziel are starting to settle and not long before Bamba will be back to give us pace at the back.
Hoping for a creative midfielder or 2 in January ....frustrating that Holtby didn’t sign ...apparently was outstanding for Rovers on Saturday