Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: 2 season tickets for sale

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:35 am

Actually only selling cos me and Mrs split up after 12 years and I need the money to try and rent a house on my own

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:20 am

footiexmadx wrote:Actually only selling cos me and Mrs split up after 12 years and I need the money to try and rent a house on my own

Brings a lot of the nonsense spouted on this thread into perspective. Hope things get sorted for you mate.

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:51 am

welsh-dragon-days wrote:
Bluebina wrote:in the present decade you average 24,684 - we average 19,288

There we have it - Bigger Stadium, bigger club bigger crowd! :thumbup: :wave:

Yes, but as I said, that is clearly hampered by the vast majority of the decade having us restricted to 100% of capacity. Newcastle have a bigger attendance than Liverpool for that same reason.

There is practically nothing in it, as these figures show.

Liverpool average 53k
Newcastle average 52k

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:56 pm

West Ham then with 58k, a bigger club than Tottenham, Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea... also a bigger club than Atletico Madrid, PSG, Juventus, AC Milan, Roma, Lazio, Napoli.

Or do we realise that’s just silly?

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:12 pm

murphy wrote:Liverpool average 53k
Newcastle average 52k

Upon checking, Newcastle have consistently averaged about 10% higher attendances than Liverpool in the Premier League era. It’s only since 2016 where they have been neck and neck due to the expansion in 2016 of Anfield.

So surely we aren’t saying Newcastle have always been a bigger club than Liverpool but are about the same size club in the last 3 years? :D

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Wonder when this will go back to who as highest/biggest crowds based on % of stadium capacity being filled been there worn Tshirt countless times... :laughing6:

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:55 pm

Not from me, it’s a meaningless stat.

Just as meaningless as saying you are the bigger club because you average 3,000 more even though the other team is at 100% capacity...

As I said very early on in the piece, all things equal, there isn’t much in it between us in terms of attendances. Certainly not in most of our living memories anyway.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:55 am

Age old though ain’t it?

How do you measure the size of a football club?

Home and away crowds are one way of measuring for sure.
Success is another.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Crowds did used to be a pretty good measure because before TV money came in, a club relied on it for their spending power. So naturally the more tickets sold the more they could spend = better the players they could get = the more they would win = the bigger they became. But it was always the last bit that actually made a big club, success.

The crowds are almost an irrelevance these days and some supporters are stuck in the dark ages when it comes to this. Juventus and Inter Milan get 38k/39k and they are two of the biggest clubs on the planet... yet Newcastle average 25% more through the gate than them and Aston Villa in the Championship get pretty much the same as them (36k).

Global interest and recent success I would say are the main two that make a club big. Then you have the smaller things like facilities, fan base etc

Let’s be honest here, Bury won the FA Cup twice in 1900 and 1903, does anyone other than Bury fans think it matters? Everyone who witnessed it is dead, nobody alive today saw it - it has zero affect on their popularity or income today in reality.

When it comes to our clubs in South Wales, it’s much of a muchness really. Our recent success has propelled us out in front but it’s not insurmountable, it was essentially a decade. One that you may well match one day. If you do, then you will probably propel yourself in front, but it’s not something I see happening any time soon.

Put it this way. If Swansea were playing in the Bernabéu against a random Spanish side, or Yankees stadium against a random Yank side - and then Cardiff did the same, I would figure more would go along to see Swansea than Cardiff. Simply because we are the more familiar club, the world has seen us lift a trophy, play in Europe, have Spanish, Dutch, French, English international players, beat the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal multiple times.

Im trying to be as realistic as possible here so we don’t end up having the usual lot throwing a hissy fit, but I honestly think even the most one eyed Cardiff fan would realise the above, whether they wish to admit it is another thing altogether.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:17 pm

I do think that crowd support has to be taken into account though. More fans equals bigger club to some extent.

If Newcastle had continued their success when keegan was their manager then I think they would be bigger than Liverpool by now. They aren’t that much smaller than Liverpool as things stand.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:19 pm

They are a minnow in comparison to Liverpool. You serious?

Crowd support is one of the smaller factors that gets taken into account, but when we are taking a few hundred, or a couple of thousand then it’s negligible.

If all things are equal and someone is attracting 15,000 more then sure, that can be a factor.