Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cech joins Ice Hockey side Guildford Phoenix

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Former Chelsea and Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech has embarked on a new career in ice hockey after signing for Guildford Phoenix.

The 37-year-old, who is currently technical and performance adviser at Chelsea, retired from professional football at the end of last season.

Cech trained with another ice hockey side, the Guildford Flames, earlier this year and the former Czech Republic international has since joined the Phoenix as a goaltender.

"I am delighted to have the opportunity to play with the Phoenix to get match experience," Cech said in a statement on the club's website.

"I hope I can help this young team to achieve their goals for the season and try to win as many games as possible when I have the chance to play.

"After 20 years of professional football this is going to be a wonderful experience for me to play the game I loved to watch and play as a kid."

The Phoenix, who were founded in 2017, are in the fourth tier of Britain's ice hockey pyramid.

Head coach Andy Hemmings said: "The signing of Petr is massive for the Phoenix. He is a great guy who trains hard and I cannot wait to see him make his debut."

Club head coach Milos Melicherik added: "We are very excited to have Petr join the Phoenix team and we are looking forward to seeing him in action in weekend.

"He has improved a lot since I first saw him on the ice and I am excited to see him play."

Cech could make his debut for the club when they face the Swindon Wildcats 2 on Sunday.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11831636/petr-cech-joins-ice-hockey-side-guildford-phoenix

Re: Cech joins Ice Hockey side Guildford Phoenix

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Man Of The Match ;)

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:10 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Man Of The Match ;)

He was junior player I think before football

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:19 am

Do they play in the same league as Cardiff Fire?

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:16 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Do they play in the same league as Cardiff Fire?

Same one as the Devils.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Think they play lower leagues at the moment,

MOTM and 2 penalty saves to win the match in his 1st gane

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:09 pm

snoopystorm wrote:Think they play lower leagues at the moment,

Yes in level below devils .... sure he was a good hockey player before football?

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 am

mr moose wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Do they play in the same league as Cardiff Fire?

Same one as the Devils.

i'm sure the first team are called Guildford Flames...

Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:34 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:Think they play lower leagues at the moment,

Yes in level below devils .... sure he was a good hockey player before football?

Apparently he used to play when he was a kid but seemed to take the football route