Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What Wales now need to happen to reach Euro 2020

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:30 am

What Wales now need to happen to reach Euro 2020

This is how the qualifying picture now looks after the game in Trnava

Friday 11th October 2019

This is how the qualifying picture now looks after the game in Trnava

Wales were unable to do the double over Slovakia as they were held to a 1-1 draw with Pavel Hapal's side in Trnava.

Here's how the Euro 2020 qualifying situation now looks for Ryan Giggs' side.

Latest results

Thursday, October 10

Croatia 3-0 Hungary

Slovakia 1-1 Wales (Read the match report here)

What are the remaining fixtures?

Sunday, October 13

Hungary v Azerbaijan

Wales v Croatia

Saturday, November 16

Azerbaijan v Wales

Croatia v Slovakia

Tuesday, November 19

Wales v Hungary

Slovakia v Azerbaijan

How does Group E now look?

1 Croatia - P6; W4; D1; L1; Pts 13

2 Slovakia - P6; W3; D1; L2; Pts 10

3 Hungary - P6; W3; D0; L3; Pts 9

4 Wales - P5; W2; D1; L2; Pts 7

5 Azerbaijan - P5; W0; D1; L4; Pts 1

What do Wales now need to qualify for Euro 2020 automatically?

Three wins would do the trick for Giggs' men, as it would move them on to 16 points.

Slovakia can reach the same total if they beat Croatia and Azerbaijan in their final two matches, although Wales would pip them given that they have a better head-to-head record having claimed four points against the Falcons.

They could qualify with just two wins, as long as they defeat Hungary and Slovakia fail to claim more than three points in their last two games.

All is not lost, despite only claiming a share of the spoils at the Anton Malatinsky Stadium.

Wales' Kieffer Moore rues a missed chance
What about the Nations League?

The Nations League could yet come to Wales' rescue.

Re: What Wales now need to happen to reach Euro 2020

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:12 am

I think we probably had our moment of glory at the last Euros. I don't see us qualifying this time around, and I wouldn't be surprised if Giggs will be in a position to experiment even more with potential new players by the time the last game is played.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:31 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:I think we probably had our moment of glory at the last Euros. I don't see us qualifying this time around, and I wouldn't be surprised if Giggs will be in a position to experiment even more with potential new players by the time the last game is played.

This competition is a bit early for the team and Giggs to get it together and qualify! But will say last nights performance we looked a lot better with bit more purpose to our play, unfortunately still the little errors that cost is the points but think we can qualify for next world cup with the youngsters who look good now but be better with more experience ... as for this tournament get a point against Croatia and be interesting finish that's for sure. :thumbup:

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:38 am

I have seen nothing under Giggs to suggest he is moving us foward at all. We have a good group of player and I know we were missing Ramsey but yesterday we were awful and could of got hammered.

Defence was shambolic.
They just waltzed through our midfield whenever they wanted too.
Bale and James were far too out wise on the wings so that when Moore won the ball in the air nobody was close enough to him.
It was a game we needed to win and yet for the last 20 mins we continued to pass it pointlessly around the back/midfield instead of getting it forward quickly. We also in this period took ages to take throw ins and didn’t press them high up the pitch to get the ball back it was as if the players couldn’t be bothered.

Can’t see us picking up more than 4 points at most from the remaining 3 games which isn’t enough.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:14 am

If Giggs is the answer, the question must be about shagging brother's wives.
He is not a good manager.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:46 pm

We still have a very clear path to qualifying, im not worried yet.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Yes lets get pulis in sure he'll be great with the kids cannot fail? :roll: what are people expecting with a new manager fairly new and young players? This taunement was always going to be difficult for any manager with the changes..... it appears people basically dont like Giggs and base things on that fact not about football . :old:

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Think he's doing a decent job so far, building into the role nicely IMO and we could quite easily finish 2nd with two wins and a defeat out of the last 3 if we can reverse the 2 goal swing on the Slovaks. Failing that a second stab in a play off hopefully.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:39 pm

I dont k ow why people are letting the manage and team off so lightly.
This was as easy a group as we are ever going to get.
They have made it very difficult for themselves and if they dont qualify it should be seen as a huge failure

I think we will do it on results against slovakia though. We will both lose to Croatia we will both beat Azerbaijan then it will be party night against Hungary

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:20 pm

thomasblue wrote:I dont k ow why people are letting the manage and team off so lightly.
They have made it very difficult for themselves and if they dont qualify it should be seen as a huge failure

I think we will do it on results against slovakia though. We will both lose to Croatia we will both beat Azerbaijan then it will be party night against Hungary

You are joking? Everyone accepts this group is the most competitive of all groups and all sides could beat each other (like championship) didn't Croatia draw with Azerbaijan !! Still lot to play for qualification is still in our hands which considering the age and inexperience of our squad is not that bad unless of course people dont like Giggs at all?

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:I dont k ow why people are letting the manage and team off so lightly.

You are joking? Everyone accepts this group is the most competitive of all groups and all sides could beat each other (like championship) didn't Croatia draw with Azerbaijan !! Still lot to play for qualification is still in our hands which considering the age and inexperience of our squad is not that bad unless of course people dont like Giggs at all?

Compared to other groups we have had this is relatively straight forward.
Yes there are some decent teams but that's all they are and we should be beating them with the players we have.

Our group is probably one of the easier not harder groups, just look at the others

Northern ireland have to play Holland and Germany

Ireland have to play Switzerland and Denmark

Scotland have Belgium and Russia

I know what group I would chose to be in given the choice. Be honest we will never get a better group

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:39 pm

thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yes there are some decent teams but that's all they are and we should be beating them with the players we have.

Our group is probably one of the easier not harder groups, just look at the others

I know what group I would chose to be in given the choice. Be honest we will never get a better group

How is a group that anyone can beat anyone straight forward when our team is young and inexperienced compared to the other teams? Or are you saying we should be beating all the teams except Croatia home and away to qualify? When nobody including Croatia have managed to do that so far? Any manager would do well to qualify with our team . thats for sure :thumbup:

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Before Giggs we were up there among the top teams in europe .
Coleman went and we brought in a manager who was a gamble .
Wales was his first full time job and we needed momentum to continue where we were.we should of brought in a manager with more experience to keep us at that level.
No disrespect to Giggs but we have gone backwards although to stay where we were was always going to be difficult.
We can still do it and until we cant giggs cant be judged but the writing g is on the wall isnt it .
Gamble or stabilise and the FAW chose gamble be interested to see if it pays off.

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 pm

brickyblue wrote:Before Giggs we were up there among the top teams in europe .
Coleman went and we brought in a manager who was a gamble .
Wales was his first full time job and we needed momentum to continue where we were.we should of brought in a manager with more experience to keep us at that level.
No disrespect to Giggs but we have gone backwards although to stay where we were was always going to be difficult.
We can still do it and until we cant giggs cant be judged but the writing g is on the wall isnt it .
Gamble or stabilise and the FAW chose gamble be interested to see if it pays off.

After euros we were on start of decline under Coleman that's why he left his time was up! Someone had to then bring on youngsters who do you think would take on such a role and be successful? It's ok having a go at Giggs experience ect but their is a very limited pool of managers available at international level even more so when it comes to wales who pay peanuts compared to other international countries... didn't fans say Coleman was useless ect ect when he lost couple of games before things improved ?

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:04 am

pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

How is a group that anyone can beat anyone straight forward when our team is young and inexperienced compared to the other teams? Or are you saying we should be beating all the teams except Croatia home and away to qualify? When nobody including Croatia have managed to do that so far? Any manager would do well to qualify with our team . thats for sure :thumbup:

It is young and inexperienced because Giggs is making it that way

He is playing league 1 and 2 players over proven premier league standard. His tactics and substitutions are awful and he is wasting probably the best squad we have had for 25 years

We should be qualifying from this group comfortably , Azerbaijan, Hungary and Slovakia are also rans in world football they are not good teams and as a top 20 team we should be beating them

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:28 am

thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

He is playing league 1 and 2 players over proven premier league standard. His tactics and substitutions are awful and he is wasting probably the best squad we have had for 25 years

We should be qualifying from this group comfortably , Azerbaijan, Hungary and Slovakia are also rans in world football they are not good teams and as a top 20 team we should be beating them

This is a point that people miss. Our squad is actually very talented by Welsh standards.
Imo Giggs is appalling and will do nothing as a manager.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:30 am

ElyBoy1984 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

This is a point that people miss. Our squad is actually very talented by Welsh standards.

I hope we qualify then watch the same reaction from same people to Giggs! But its funny every pundit say was a good result and really should have won with chances but of course our fans know better and we were crap with crap manager... cèst la vie! :roll:
Like said name a manager available or who would take low paid job? Yes got very talented youngsters but whats point of playing oldies like Williams who I thought as been rubbish in last few games for wales and club! How are these youngsters going to get experience for further competitions? It's a transitional period whether we like it or not. :old:

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 am

ElyBoy1984 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

We have a possible front 4 consisting of a Real Madrid forward , Juventus playmaker, Man utd winger and a Bournemouth winger.
Behind them we have premier league players from liverpool, chelsea, Burnley ,Spurs, Palace, and Newcastle. Then giggs picks players from wigan , charlton and Lincoln leaving the rest on the bench. Its pathetic and it's why we are not winning games like last night

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:59 am

Somehow we need to pull a draw out of tomorrow. That would then leave Croatia needing something against Slovakia to guarantee qualification. With a draw we cant finish above Croatia but Hungary and Slovakia could in the final round of games. Either way it'll be a quick rush from the ground in Baku to find a bar showing the Croatia / Slovakia game. Lets hope we're still in it by the time when that game finishes.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Some people should just be honest and man enough about it and just say they don't like Giggs.

I don't know where to start to be honest but I'll start with the poster who claimed we were one of the top teams in Europe before Giggs

Before Giggs we had just finished 3rd in arguably our easiest World Cup Qualifying Group in years. The top teams in Europe at that time qualified for the World Cup, we were nowhere near so that's that one put to bed. To claim we were one of the top teams in Europe when Giggs took over is laughable.

The poster who said that compared to other groups we have had this is relatively straight forward, really?

We are in with the World Cup runners up. Slovakia and Hungary who both qualified for the last Euros and finished second and 3rd respectively in their World Cup Qualifying Groups and Azerbaijan. There is no god given right to qualify from that.

And apart from Hungary away which of our games so far have we really failed in, it just shows how far we have come that people now think drawing against Slovakia away is a poor result, it isnt.

And how is playing Switzerland and Denmark or Belgium and Russia any easier than playing Croatia and Slovakia? I would rather have been in with Switzerland and Denmark or Belgium and Russia than Croatia and Slovakia personally.

And if Hungary, Slovakia and Azerbaijan are also rans in Football what were Austria, Ireland, Georgia and Moldova in the last qualifying group or Bosnia, Cyprus, Israel and Andorra in the one before that.

I fully expect us to lose on Sunday and peoples melt downs will intensify even more no doubt but I expect us to beat Azerbaijan and Hungary and finish on 13 points which may or may not be enough, if we can draw on Sunday, brilliant, win and we are practically there.

And to make things even better we also hopefully will have a play off place as another avenue.

Lets focus on the positives rather than be negative all the time :sleepy2:

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:44 pm

RV Casual wrote:Some people should just be honest and man enough about it and just say they don't like Giggs.

I don't know where to start to be honest but I'll start with the poster who claimed we were one of the top teams in Europe before Giggs

Before Giggs we had just finished 3rd in arguably our easiest World Cup Qualifying Group in years. The top teams in Europe at that time qualified for the World Cup, we were nowhere near so that's that one put to bed. To claim we were one of the top teams in Europe when Giggs took over is laughable.

The poster who said that compared to other groups we have had this is relatively straight forward, really?

We are in with the World Cup runners up. Slovakia and Hungary who both qualified for the last Euros and finished second and 3rd respectively in their World Cup Qualifying Groups and Azerbaijan. There is no god given right to qualify from that.

And apart from Hungary away which of our games so far have we really failed in, it just shows how far we have come that people now think drawing against Slovakia away is a poor result, it isnt.

And how is playing Switzerland and Denmark or Belgium and Russia any easier than playing Croatia and Slovakia? I would rather have been in with Switzerland and Denmark or Belgium and Russia than Croatia and Slovakia personally.

And if Hungary, Slovakia and Azerbaijan are also rans in Football what were Austria, Ireland, Georgia and Moldova in the last qualifying group or Bosnia, Cyprus, Israel and Andorra in the one before that.

I fully expect us to lose on Sunday and peoples melt downs will intensify even more no doubt but I expect us to beat Azerbaijan and Hungary and finish on 13 points which may or may not be enough, if we can draw on Sunday, brilliant, win and we are practically there.

And to make things even better we also hopefully will have a play off place as another avenue.

Lets focus on the positives rather than be negative all the time :sleepy2:

Rv this as been my point from start but those who dont like Giggs full stop cant see past that! I've said this taunement is a bit early to see the youngsters bed in , only possible criticism is not enough experienced players to support youngsters but tbh oldies are not exactly playing well or even playing for clubs so let's go with kids give them the experience for next qualification? Besides it's still in our own hands to qualify and we are quite capable of beating Croatia but think draw at best is likely... :thumbup:

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:52 pm

I don't think Giggs is the reason we are battling to stay in the competition. We have never exactly set the bar very high where international football is concerned, and we have seen numerous managers come and go. I don't particularly like Giggs, and he wouldn't have been my choice. However, I think most managers would have a fight on their hands to qualify from this group. just as in nearly every other tournament we have played in during the last 50 years, the exception being the last Euros. I don't expect to see us qualify, and as has been the case for a long time, I still think we lack true quality in depth. We always seem to have a few outstanding players, but too many others who would not get a sniff if they were eligible to play for some of the top sides.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:46 pm

Would be sure haven’t won an away game yet under Giggs.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:10 pm

phildavies wrote:

Im fairly sure we have, China 6-0 and Ireland in Dublin, I'm guessing you don't even follow the national side based on that comment.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:22 pm

RV Casual wrote:
phildavies wrote:

Im fairly sure we have, China 6-0 and Ireland in Dublin, I'm guessing you don't even follow the national side based on that comment.

China yes was Ireland under Giggs if so won 1-0 :thumbup:

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:40 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
phildavies wrote:

Yes it was mate, Harry Wilson free kick.

Here's another one for the haters,

Giggs currently has a win % of 43.75, Colemans was 38 in his tenure.

We have got 7 wins from 16 games so far under Giggs, Coleman had 19 from 50.

Gareth Bale has publicly stated that the Team are making progress under Giggs and other players have backed him and are turning up on a regular basis.

But, it will never be enough for some people, such is their dislike of him they can't see beyond that and give a balanced account of how the national side are doing.

Before he came in we drew with Panama at home, scraped past Georgia and Moldova away, drew with Georgia at home, lost against Ireland at home in what was in effect a shoot out for a play off spot yet people are spitting their dummy's out after a draw with Slovakia away when we are still in with a good shout of qualifying.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:44 pm

RV Casual wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
phildavies wrote:

Yes it was mate, Harry Wilson free kick.

Here's another one for the haters,

Giggs currently has a win % of 43.75, Colemans was 38 in his tenure.

We have got 7 wins from 16 games so far under Giggs, Coleman had 19 from 50.

Gareth Bale has publicly stated that the Team are making progress under Giggs and other players have backed him and are turning up on a regular basis.

But, it will never be enough for some people, such is their dislike of him they can't see beyond that and give a balanced account of how the national side are doing.

Before he came in we drew with Panama at home, scraped past Georgia and Moldova away, drew with Georgia at home, lost against Ireland at home in what was in effect a shoot out for a play off spot yet people are spitting their dummy's out after a draw with Slovakia away when we are still in with a good shout of qualifying.

Lose on Sunday apparently we will still qualify if beat Hungary and Azerbaijan and Croatia beat Slovakia because we have had that win over Slovakia it will go on head to head so not all doom and gloom :thumbup:

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Even better mate if on head to head happy days

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:58 pm

RV Casual wrote:Even better mate if on head to head happy days

Well just read it on news page and obviously goal difference doesn't apply hopefully even BBC cannot be that wrong? :laughing6:

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 am

It is a talented group with two world class players and as many PL players as ever.

The reality is that we may struggle to qualify from a five team group where we only need to be top two.

Giggs limitations are the same as OGS in my opinion. Being a talented striker with a privelledged career playing with outstanding players doesn't mean your a mnanager.

Euro 20 has 24 teams in the Finals. It's not like the old days when there were eight and you had to win a group outright to qualify.

Play offs and nations league still confuse me!