Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: What Wales now need to happen to reach Euro 2020

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:55 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:It is a talented group with two world class players and as many PL players as ever.

The reality is that we may struggle to qualify from a five team group where we only need to be top two.

Giggs limitations are the same as OGS in my opinion. Being a talented striker with a privelledged career playing with outstanding players doesn't mean your a mnanager.

Euro 20 has 24 teams in the Finals. It's not like the old days when there were eight and you had to win a group outright to qualify.

Play offs and nations league still confuse me!

Basically because wales were 2nd in their nations league group unless there is a disaster they will qualify for playoffs because the teams above Wales in nations leagues are qualifying through normal qualification, so pushing wales into playoffs via nations league... hope that explains things

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:It is a talented group with two world class players and as many PL players as ever.

The reality is that we may struggle to qualify from a five team group where we only need to be top two.

Giggs limitations are the same as OGS in my opinion. Being a talented striker with a privelledged career playing with outstanding players doesn't mean your a mnanager.

Euro 20 has 24 teams in the Finals. It's not like the old days when there were eight and you had to win a group outright to qualify.

Basically because wales were 2nd in their nations league group unless there is a disaster they will qualify for playoffs because the teams above Wales in nations leagues are qualifying through normal qualification, so pushing wales into playoffs via nations league... hope that explains things

Seen something about this... If we finished 3rd we'd be home to rep Ireland. The other game would be northern Ireland v Bosnia

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Think we'll win tonight.

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:10 pm

:thumbright:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Seen something about this... If we finished 3rd we'd be home to rep Ireland. The other game would be northern Ireland v Bosnia

That's if republic dont qualify automatically!
but not sure if dont have a draw to sort out teams as theres lots of permutations depending on who qualify through their group...

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:15 pm

:thumbright:
paulh_85 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

That's if republic dont qualify automatically!
but not sure if dont have a draw to sort out teams as theres lots of permutations depending on who qualify through their group... but it is extremely difficult to work out as it doesn't say who plays who.? All I know is we will have playoff spot as we finished 2nd and team that beat us is going to qualify automatically so putting us in playoff as we are next in line!

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Azerbaijan just robbed of injury time equaliser! Ref blew for handball when clearly ball hit the body :banghead:

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:04 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
brickyblue wrote:Before Giggs we were up there among the top teams in europe .
Coleman went and we brought in a manager who was a gamble .
Wales was his first full time job and we needed momentum to continue where we were.we should of brought in a manager with more experience to keep us at that level.
No disrespect to Giggs but we have gone backwards although to stay where we were was always going to be difficult.
We can still do it and until we cant giggs cant be judged but the writing g is on the wall isnt it .
Gamble or stabilise and the FAW chose gamble be interested to see if it pays off.

After euros we were on start of decline under Coleman that's why he left his time was up! Someone had to then bring on youngsters who do you think would take on such a role and be successful? It's ok having a go at Giggs experience ect but their is a very limited pool of managers available at international level even more so when it comes to wales who pay peanuts compared to other international countries... didn't fans say Coleman was useless ect ect when he lost couple of games before things improved ?

Agree with what you ha e said to be honest you have a good point to what you've said but I just feel with Giggs we are being used to put himself in the spot light for better things .that said he has to prove himself then diesnt he .
As a player he really was one of the greats for man u .
I'm just not convinced about him if I'm honest I'd of played every game for wales he didnt so it leaves you wondering about him .is he the best man for the job I'm really not sure but well see

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:20 pm

brickyblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
brickyblue wrote:Before Giggs we were up there among the top teams in europe .
Coleman went and we brought in a manager who was a gamble .
Wales was his first full time job and we needed momentum to continue where we were.we should of brought in a manager with more experience to keep us at that level.
No disrespect to Giggs but we have gone backwards although to stay where we were was always going to be difficult.
We can still do it and until we cant giggs cant be judged but the writing g is on the wall isnt it .
Gamble or stabilise and the FAW chose gamble be interested to see if it pays off.

After euros we were on start of decline under Coleman that's why he left his time was up! Someone had to then bring on youngsters who do you think would take on such a role and be successful? It's ok having a go at Giggs experience ect but their is a very limited pool of managers available at international level even more so when it comes to wales who pay peanuts compared to other international countries... didn't fans say Coleman was useless ect ect when he lost couple of games before things improved ?

Agree with what you ha e said to be honest you have a good point to what you've said but I just feel with Giggs we are being used to put himself in the spot light for better things .that said he has to prove himself then diesnt he .
As a player he really was one of the greats for man u .
I'm just not convinced about him if I'm honest I'd of played every game for wales he didnt so it leaves you wondering about him .is he the best man for the job I'm really not sure but well see

Jury is definitely out but tbh its next qualification that is the one to judge him on? Coming in before a new qualification taunement with a need to bring in new players especially young ones is going to take time! And even if fall short now there is playoffs to go through , how we qualify for 2020 is irrelevant if we make it. :thumbup: