Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What Wales now need to happen to reach Euro 2020 Here's how

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:32 am

What Wales now need to happen to reach Euro 2020

Here's how the qualifying picture looks after Gareth Bale's strike earned Wales a draw in Cardiff

Monday 14th October 2019

Wales kept their Euro 2020 qualification hopes alive after securing a hard-fought 1-1 draw with Croatia at Cardiff City Stadium.

Here's how the qualifying situation now looks for Ryan Giggs' side.

Latest results

Sunday, October 13

Hungary 1-0 Azerbaijan

Wales 1-1 Croatia

What are the remaining fixtures?

Saturday, November 16

Azerbaijan v Wales

Croatia v Slovakia

Tuesday, November 19

Wales v Hungary

Slovakia v Azerbaijan

How does Group E now look?

1 Croatia - P7; W4; D2; L1; Pts 14

2 Hungary - P7; W4; D0; L3; Pts 12

3 Slovakia - P6; W3; D1; L2; Pts 10

4 Wales - P6; W2; D2; L2; Pts 8

5 Azerbaijan - P6; W0; D1; L5; Pts 1

What do Wales now need to qualify for Euro 2020 automatically?

The draw against Croatia means Wales now have eight points with just two matches remaining.

And as Hungary beat Azerbaijan on Sunday evening, Wales now have to beat the Hungarians in their final match to stand any hope of qualifying automatically as they are four points worse off.

If Wales win their final two games, they will finish on 14 points. They would claim a top two spot if Slovakia fail to win both of their remaining matches.

But there is a way they can still qualify automatically even if they drop more points.

A win against Hungary by a greater scoreline than 1-0 would see Wales have the better head-to-head record over the Hungarians. This is because Hungary currently have a better head-to-head record having beaten Giggs' side 1-0 in Budapest earlier this year.

With Wales currently trailing the Hungarians by four points, victory over Hungary - by a better scoreline of 1-0 - would mean a draw in Azerbaijan would be enough to pip Hungary in the overall standings.

And then there's Slovakia.

Wales - if they drew with Azerbaijan and beat Hungary, and earned a better head-to-head record over the latter - would then need Slovakia to fail to win either of their remaining two matches.

If Wales lose in Azerbaijan their hopes are over.

If Slovakia win their final two games, Wales won't be able to qualify automatically

Re: What Wales now need to happen to reach Euro 2020 Here's

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:00 am

The final match against Hungary has 1976 and Yugoslavia written all over it. Wales at home in a final key fixture against a host nation for the forth coming finals. They wanted Yugoslavia there then and they'd prefer Hungary there now. Or am I being to cynical ? The play offs in our group will probably include ROI which means if we did get through that we'd have our euros based around the Aviva with a possible trip Bilbao. Fed up with it to be honest. Come on Wales, one last big push Wales and we'll qualify directly.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:24 am

epping blue wrote:The final match against Hungary has 1976 and Yugoslavia written all over it. Wales at home in a final key fixture against a host nation for the forth coming finals. They wanted Yugoslavia there then and they'd prefer Hungary there now. Or am I being to cynical ? The play offs in our group will probably include ROI which means if we did get through that we'd have our euros based around the Aviva with a possible trip Bilbao. Fed up with it to be honest. Come on Wales, one last big push Wales and we'll qualify directly.

your being very cynical

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:28 am

epping blue wrote:The final match against Hungary has 1976 and Yugoslavia written all over it. Wales at home in a final key fixture against a host nation for the forth coming finals. They wanted Yugoslavia there then and they'd prefer Hungary there now. Or am I being to cynical ? The play offs in our group will probably include ROI which means if we did get through that we'd have our euros based around the Aviva with a possible trip Bilbao. Fed up with it to be honest. Come on Wales, one last big push Wales and we'll qualify directly.

I think I would be concentrating more on Azerbaijan than Hungary right now. We have been beaten plenty of times in the past by so called lesser sides. May be tougher than we think and I wouldn't be looking at that game as a gimmee.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:21 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:

I think I would be concentrating more on Azerbaijan than Hungary right now. We have been beaten plenty of times in the past by so called lesser sides. May be tougher than we think and I wouldn't be looking at that game as a gimmee.

Must not forget they drew with Croatia and wasn't it in Croatia?? So a very difficult game ask Slovakia other night ? Azerbaijan had perfectly good goal disallowed in injury time would have drawn game...

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:05 pm

Except that Hungary are no Yugoslavia. We were always up against it that day even without the referees intervention as they were a good side. For once I believe that if we need to beat a side a home to qualify we will do. Hungary got off to a flier but have been poor since then.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:11 pm

JJ1927 wrote:

Except that Hungary are no Yugoslavia. We were always up against it that day even without the referees intervention as they were a good side. For once I believe that if we need to beat a side a home to qualify we will do. Hungary got off to a flier but have been poor since then.

Yes we are capable of beating Hungary despite some fans dislike of giggs? We've got a good record generally if not enough wins but hopefully because we need those wins Giggs will be a bit more offensive minded ..

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Azerbajan game is the harder of the two IMO we have a pretty poor away record and other than getting Smashed by Slovakia they have been competative in every game.

Hopefully one way or another we can scrape our way into qualifying for it. Its just a shame its been ruined by this idiotic idea by Uefa to not have a host country. France 2016 was brilliant because of fan interaction between the diffrent nations. Next years is just silly. Then in 2022 if we qualify Its a disgrace that anyone would travel to Quatr and thus support their regime in their terrible acts. Hopefully Euro 2024 gets bck to being given a sensible host and 2026 world cup should also be good.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:24 pm

phildavies wrote:Azerbajan game is the harder of the two IMO we have a pretty poor away record and other than getting Smashed by Slovakia they have been competative in every game.

Hopefully one way or another we can scrape our way into qualifying for it. Its just a shame its been ruined by this idiotic idea by Uefa to not have a host country. France 2016 was brilliant because of fan interaction between the diffrent nations. Next years is just silly. Then in 2022 if we qualify Its a disgrace that anyone would travel to Quatr and thus support their regime in their terrible acts. Hopefully Euro 2024 gets bck to being given a sensible host and 2026 world cup should also be good.

Phil no chance of UEFA being sensible about future competitions if anything along with fifa it will get more ridiculous you watch. :roll:

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Must not forget they drew with Croatia and wasn't it in Croatia?? So a very difficult game ask Slovakia other night ? Azerbaijan had perfectly good goal disallowed in injury time would have drawn game...

We struggled to beat them at home. If I remember correctly, wasn't it a very late goal that got us over the finishing line. I wouldn't take 3 points for granted in our away fixture there. Need to get that sorted before thinking about the other game.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:20 pm

phildavies wrote:Azerbajan game is the harder of the two IMO we have a pretty poor away record and other than getting Smashed by Slovakia they have been competative in every game.

A lot of us on this forum will struggle to get the travel health insurance by 2026 let alone make the journey!

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

We struggled to beat them at home. If I remember correctly, wasn't it a very late goal that got us over the finishing line. I wouldn't take 3 points for granted in our away fixture there. Need to get that sorted before thinking about the other game.

Well there are very few easy games in football and despite others thinking otherwise Azerbaijan is not one of the easy teams thats for sure! If Wales get to 2020 it will be a great achievement considering the upheaval.. :thumbup:

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:27 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Phil no chance of UEFA being sensible about future competitions if anything along with fifa it will get more ridiculous you watch. :roll:

Not too bad 2024 is Germany and 2026 world cup is US/Mexico/Canada so both should be good. However is an utter disgrace that 2022 is still going to go ahead in such a country the stadiums are literally built on the blood of the near slave labour conditions and thousands of deaths in their construction. Not to mention the bribery that won it for them or the disgraceful laws of that countries regime. It should be boycotted by teams but it wont be.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:23 pm

phildavies wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Not too bad 2024 is Germany and 2026 world cup is US/Mexico/Canada so both should be good. However is an utter disgrace that 2022 is still going to go ahead in such a country the stadiums are literally built on the blood of the near slave labour conditions and thousands of deaths in their construction. Not to mention the bribery that won it for them or the disgraceful laws of that countries regime. It should be boycotted by teams but it wont be.

From what I've read no chance world cup coming to uk for next 30yrs fifa wanting to diversify from Europe / Americas alternative years to global spread! Euros is anyones guess how it is done in future :old: