Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Where does Parliament and PM go from here?

You may select 1 option

View results

Re: " Brexit deal NOT to be agreed tonight "

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Louise Ellman, a Labour MP, announcing her intention tonight to step down only highlights my point.

The Leader of the Labour Party has failed on antisemitism and on many other issues. A lot of respect for Louise to do that at this point.

As she says, Corbyn is unfit to be PM.

The sooner he is gone the better.

Re: " No Brexit deal to be agreed tonight "

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:19 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
goats wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Barnier now saying that all issues have been agreed - apart from VAT which is the stumbling block.

It will go through now

Let's hope so.

If it's the case that Parliament say no, then they bring No Deal on themselves.

It will depend on it being acceptable to those who objected to May's deal? If people like dup and sceptics approve of it there is good chance it will be passed let's hope so.. or no reason not to have no deal! corbyn and others wanted a deal but only acceptable to themselves which generally means customs union so no chance they'll vote for it that's for sure.

Now the liberals want to table a motion saying must have a referendum to approve deal? A motion Which of course will be approved by bercow ! It Shows there's a good chance deal could pass parliament! And of course remain will be on ballot paper if it passes..... :banghead:

Like I said previously.. I don't think any referendum will help, say that as Remainer.

Get the deal through or leave with no deal. That's what SHOULD be done. A shame this Parliament doesn't believe in demeocracy.

agree we've gone through the process like him or not he appears to have got a deal, MPs should pass it or accept a no deal cannot simply keep refusing because they dont like brexit thats not democracy thats dictatorship?

I agree. I'm a remainer but accept that we lost. Sadly it seems many of the MPs in parliament that lost won't accept that fact.

I really hope the government and the EU sort out the VAT tonight so we can get the deal through. According to Peston, the VAT is the issue and the deadline is 8am.

I just hope we can get it through and then focus on domestic issues.

But I don't trust this Parliament to follow it through. I pray that they approve the PM's deal.

Then we can have a General Election - which the PM will win comfortably if Corbyn is Leader of the Labour Party.

Yes he will win that's why Corbyn wont have an election as he knows he's basically unelectable with his stance on certain things and cosey chats with undesirables that's why no one supports him as a temporary PM if they were to have a no confidence vote....

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:33 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
goats wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Barnier now saying that all issues have been agreed - apart from VAT which is the stumbling block.

It will go through now

Let's hope so.

It will depend on it being acceptable to those who objected to May's deal? If people like dup and sceptics approve of it there is good chance it will be passed let's hope so.. or no reason not to have no deal! corbyn and others wanted a deal but only acceptable to themselves which generally means customs union so no chance they'll vote for it that's for sure.

Now the liberals want to table a motion saying must have a referendum to approve deal? A motion Which of course will be approved by bercow ! It Shows there's a good chance deal could pass parliament! And of course remain will be on ballot paper if it passes..... :banghead:

Like I said previously.. I don't think any referendum will help, say that as Remainer.

Get the deal through or leave with no deal. That's what SHOULD be done. A shame this Parliament doesn't believe in demeocracy.

agree we've gone through the process like him or not he appears to have got a deal, MPs should pass it or accept a no deal cannot simply keep refusing because they dont like brexit thats not democracy thats dictatorship?

I agree. I'm a remainer but accept that we lost. Sadly it seems many of the MPs in parliament that lost won't accept that fact.

I really hope the government and the EU sort out the VAT tonight so we can get the deal through. According to Peston, the VAT is the issue and the deadline is 8am.

But I don't trust this Parliament to follow it through. I pray that they approve the PM's deal.

Then we can have a General Election - which the PM will win comfortably if Corbyn is Leader of the Labour Party.

Yes he will win that's why Corbyn wont have an election as he knows he's basically unelectable with his stance on certain things and cosey chats with undesirables that's why no one supports him as a temporary PM if they were to have a no confidence vote... and finally some person is going to Scottish court again to stop MPs voting on a deal if done! Saying it be unlawful ... no end to anti Brexit sculduggery by using sympathetic Scottish judges to stop democracy in uk... :roll:

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:54 am

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
goats wrote:

It will go through now

Let's hope so.

Yes he will win that's why Corbyn wont have an election as he knows he's basically unelectable with his stance on certain things and cosey chats with undesirables that's why no one supports him as a temporary PM if they were to have a no confidence vote....

Yeah, troubles me as a Labour voter that out leader that the leader is incapable of removing the current government.

I actually think that Johnson would win a landside right now. It seems that the Leader of the Opposition has very little policy on the biggest issue of today. He doesn't even know if he's leave or remain!

It's a mess and I repeat my point that the leadership of my party, the Labour Party, needs one man in particular. A man who is educated both legally and politically - Sir Keir Starmer.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:00 am

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
goats wrote:

It will go through now

Let's hope so.

Also would agree on the Scottish courts - and all courts for that matter.

My opinion is that no judges should give their judgment on the matter on Brexit. I'll say it again, I say that again that I'm a remainer so it may seem odd. But I still believe that all the Scottish, English and Supreme Court had no business getting involved in this matter.

If a majority voted for the Conservative Party, they go into government. The same should apply for the vote in 2016.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:49 am

Problems once again with the DUP.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:12 am

Forever Blue wrote:Problems once again with the DUP.

Northern Fuggin Ireland, the appendix of the uk creating more problems again..... :banghead:

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Sven wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:A Brexit Deal will NOT be agreed tonight between the Government and the European Union.

That's the news coming out of Brussels tonight. Barnier about to brief this.

Still opportunity for a deal by tomorrow's summit, but it would only be a re-hash of May's deal.

So, in your opinion, where should Parliament go from here?

If dup/irish can accept it so should parliament but as we know MPs have their own agenda and suspect it may fail on that basis, but personally we should accept it. :thumbup:

Well I voted remain. But I do think the democratic vote needs to be followed through.

First, a second referendum is more likely but very very controversial.

I'm a Labour voter, despite not being a Corbyn fan, but it worries me very much that a referendum would be in our Manifesto.

Is the deal on the table really Brexit for the 52%? I'm not sure.

If there's an election, I can see no deal happening anyway. Labour would win it if someone like Keir Starmer, who is a great MP and former DPP, was Leader. But we have no chance with Corbyn. The current PM would win a majority in any Election at this point.

So I think that No Deal is likely.

Sven Corbyn stated he will ask for referendum with remain as one question and a deal mutually good for EU and us as other? That will worry anyone as it will mean close contact with customs union that's for sure..

Agree with you.

But as I said, he has no chance of winning an election. He will do worse than Miliband four years ago. He reached his peak in 2017, and is not capable of bringing in the votes.

Like I said in my above post, things may have been different if Starmer was Leader.

Yes, agree with both; Corbyn is a spent force, and his options do not include following the real democratic decision of the people. I would also back Sir Keir Starmer; at least he seems to have some decency about him

Kier Starmer has one priority. To reverse Brexit. No decency on that knob.

Often agree with you but not on this.

Keir is another one I have met and he's a great bloke. He wants to see the result go through, despite him believing Remain was the way to go and the fact he'd vote Remain in any 2nd ref (as would I).

The state of parliament would be different if KS was Leader of the Opposition. I think Brexit would be done by now.

If nothing else, you must agree he's the best Labour MP out there and an improvement on Corbyn?

I really thought Kier Starmer was a breath of fresh air when I first heard him speak. I very much believed he should have been part of a cross party delegation sent to negotiate Brexit.

However lately I have changed my mind. Mainly due to him being very much all about another referendum which I think will tear this country even further apart

He has said they won’t back a deal before even seeing what the deal is. He’s been at the forefront of playing politics over this issue.

Stephen Kinnock is one who I actually thinks talks sends over brexit. He’s trying to get May’s WA back with the amendments on.

My hope is that the EU tells parliament this deal or no deal and forces the hand of the Remoaners. However I believe they have been told that there is a strong chance Brexit will be reversed so they won’t.

David Lammy is a gopping bit of kit. Always remember him complaining about the lack of police as he was stood 50 yards from one.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:30 am

goats wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Problems once again with the DUP.

Northern Fuggin Ireland, the appendix of the uk creating more problems again..... :banghead:

From what I gather it's not about what's been agreed it's more to do with how much say they have after the agreement is made.... :banghead:

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:36 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
goats wrote:

It will go through now

Let's hope so.

Also would agree on the Scottish courts - and all courts for that matter.

My opinion is that no judges should give their judgment on the matter on Brexit. I'll say it again, I say that again that I'm a remainer so it may seem odd. But I still believe that all the Scottish, English and Supreme Court had no business getting involved in this matter.

If a majority voted for the Conservative Party, they go into government. The same should apply for the vote in 2016.

The problem is there are to many people and MPs who do not want Brexit at any price! And they have been encouraged by judges and bercow to challenge the government at every step so almost making it impossible to leave no matter how good deal is.... this confirmation referendum they talk about is no such thing it's a 2nd referendum by back door and when MPs asked what do if leave win again they bluster about some rubbish instead of answering.....

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:59 am

Brexit: DUP rejects deal 'as things stand' as PM heads to EU summit

17 October 2019 UK Politics

The support of Arlene Foster's party, the DUP, is seen as crucial if Prime Minister Boris Johnson is to get his proposed Brexit deal through Parliament

Boris Johnson has suffered a blow to his proposed Brexit deal as the Democratic Unionist Party said it cannot support plans "as things stand".

The support of the Northern Irish party is seen as crucial if the PM is to win Parliament's approval for the deal in time for his 31 October deadline.

The DUP said it would continue to work with the government to try to get a "sensible" deal.

It comes as Mr Johnson heads to a crunch summit to get the EU's approval.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:02 am

'Knife-edge' vote for referendum on deal
BBC assistant political editor Norman Smith says Labour has indicated that "it's possible" the party could support a referendum on Boris Johnson's deal.

He says it "significantly strengthens" the chances of a motion for a confirmatory referendum being passed if the party whips its MPs to support it.

But he says the backing of former Tory MPs who rebelled from the party over Brext will be crucial. It looks like a "knife-edge vote", he says.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:18 am

Forever Blue wrote:'Knife-edge' vote for referendum on deal
BBC assistant political editor Norman Smith says Labour has indicated that "it's possible" the party could support a referendum on Boris Johnson's deal.

He says it "significantly strengthens" the chances of a motion for a confirmatory referendum being passed if the party whips its MPs to support it.

But he says the backing of former Tory MPs who rebelled from the party over Brext will be crucial. It looks like a "knife-edge vote", he says.

Labour are to faced annis it's not a confirmation referendum on a deal it's a referendum with remain on ballot paper? It should say accept deal or decline deal. ? Not have do you want to remain in EU on ballot paper as they want....

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:28 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:A Brexit Deal will NOT be agreed tonight between the Government and the European Union.

Still opportunity for a deal by tomorrow's summit, but it would only be a re-hash of May's deal.

If dup/irish can accept it so should parliament but as we know MPs have their own agenda and suspect it may fail on that basis, but personally we should accept it. :thumbup:

Well I voted remain. But I do think the democratic vote needs to be followed through.

I'm a Labour voter, despite not being a Corbyn fan, but it worries me very much that a referendum would be in our Manifesto.

If there's an election, I can see no deal happening anyway. Labour would win it if someone like Keir Starmer, who is a great MP and former DPP, was Leader. But we have no chance with Corbyn. The current PM would win a majority in any Election at this point.

Sven Corbyn stated he will ask for referendum with remain as one question and a deal mutually good for EU and us as other? That will worry anyone as it will mean close contact with customs union that's for sure..

Agree with you.

But as I said, he has no chance of winning an election. He will do worse than Miliband four years ago. He reached his peak in 2017, and is not capable of bringing in the votes.

Like I said in my above post, things may have been different if Starmer was Leader.

It really annoys me that Corbyn is putting himself first before the Labour party, change leadership and the nasty tories will be in $hit street

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:05 am

wayne wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Agree with you.

It really annoys me that Corbyn is putting himself first before the Labour party, change leadership and the nasty tories will be in $hit street

Corbyn is not alone. Most of our MP's put MP's first with their constituents and the country some way behind. Not long ago nearly 400 of our esteemed Parliamentarians were told to repay expenses that they had "wrongly claimed" from the taxpayer. This time last year we had an MP on trial for perjury, and the list goes on. If there's one sort of person in this country who I would have extreme difficulty in trusting, it would be an MP.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:04 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
goats wrote:

It will go through now

Let's hope so.

Yeah, troubles me as a Labour voter that out leader that the leader is incapable of removing the current government.

I actually think that Johnson would win a landside right now. It seems that the Leader of the Opposition has very little policy on the biggest issue of today. He doesn't even know if he's leave or remain!

It's a mess and I repeat my point that the leadership of my party, the Labour Party, needs one man in particular. A man who is educated both legally and politically - Sir Keir Starmer.

thats not true though is it? Corbyn's policy is incredibly clear. Negotiate a deal that protects workers rights and keeps up within the customs union and closely aligned with the single market. Then holding a referendum between that deal and remain, whilst remaining neutral (i.e. not campaigning as cameron did)

weather you like him (or the policy) or not, you cant say it hasnt been spelled quite simply

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:09 am

It will go through now[/quote]

Let's hope so.

If it's the case that Parliament say no, then they bring No Deal on themselves.[/quote]

It will depend on it being acceptable to those who objected to May's deal? If people like dup and sceptics approve of it there is good chance it will be passed let's hope so.. or no reason not to have no deal! corbyn and others wanted a deal but only acceptable to themselves which generally means customs union so no chance they'll vote for it that's for sure.[/quote]
Now the liberals want to table a motion saying must have a referendum to approve deal? A motion Which of course will be approved by bercow ! It Shows there's a good chance deal could pass parliament! And of course remain will be on ballot paper if it passes..... :banghead:[/quote]

Get the deal through or leave with no deal. That's what SHOULD be done. A shame this Parliament doesn't believe in demeocracy.[/quote]

agree we've gone through the process like him or not he appears to have got a deal, MPs should pass it or accept a no deal cannot simply keep refusing because they dont like brexit thats not democracy thats dictatorship?[/quote]

Then we can have a General Election - which the PM will win comfortably if Corbyn is Leader of the Labour Party.[/quote]

Yes he will win that's why Corbyn wont have an election as he knows he's basically unelectable with his stance on certain things and cosey chats with undesirables that's why no one supports him as a temporary PM if they were to have a no confidence vote....[/quote]

It's a mess and I repeat my point that the leadership of my party, the Labour Party, needs one man in particular. A man who is educated both legally and politically - Sir Keir Starmer.[/quote]

thats not true though is it? Corbyn's policy is incredibly clear. Negotiate a deal that protects workers rights and keeps up within the customs union and closely aligned with the single market. Then holding a referendum between that deal and remain, whilst remaining neutral (i.e. not campaigning as cameron did)

weather you like him (or the policy) or not, you cant say it hasnt been spelled quite simply[/quote]

That I agree with. Sadly too many in his party want to stay so it gets lost in translation. The splits in the Labour Party are as wide as those in the Tory party.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:37 am

It will go through now I reckon. I won’t be at all surprised to see a different government in the next 10/15 who agree to another referendum and so it will all begin again, you wait and see...... :thumbup:

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Corbyns policy is clear shame labour's is not
with welsh labour saying one thing main party another and poor Jeremy not wanted by anyone even some in his on party as PM temporary or otherwise! And his idea of Brexit is have us in customs union bit odd as thought Brexit was to leave customs union what's point of Brexit if we dont?

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
wayne wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Agree with you.

Corbyn is not alone. Most of our MP's put MP's first with their constituents and the country some way behind. Not long ago nearly 400 of our esteemed Parliamentarians were told to repay expenses that they had "wrongly claimed" from the taxpayer. This time last year we had an MP on trial for perjury, and the list goes on. If there's one sort of person in this country who I would have extreme difficulty in trusting, it would be an MP.

Steve these last 3 years has exposed our elected representatives for what they really are, self serving parasites who don’t care about democracy, the country or its people. What a State we’re in when Boris fekkin Johnson is our best hope.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:46 pm

wayne wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Agree with you.

All MPs are nasty not just the Tories.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm

Jock wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
wayne wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Agree with you.

Steve these last 3 years has exposed our elected representatives for what they really are, self serving parasites who don’t care about democracy, the country or its people. What a State we’re in when Boris fekkin Johnson is our best hope.

That's exactly how I feel Jock. I am still convinced we will not leave the EU as our MP's will always look after themselves before their constituents. If they were offered a nice little backhander to leave, we would be out like a shot. Unfortunately, too many of them have their paws in the EU pie dish, as well as relatives running businesses receiving EU grants. The only way we could leave is on EU terms, and MP's personally benefiting from it. Neither will happen, and I doubt very much if Brexit ever will either.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Jock wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
wayne wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Agree with you.

That's exactly how I feel Jock. I am still convinced we will not leave the EU as our MP's will always look after themselves before their constituents. If they were offered a nice little backhander to leave, we would be out like a shot. Unfortunately, too many of them have their paws in the EU pie dish, as well as relatives running businesses receiving EU grants. The only way we could leave is on EU terms, and MP's personally benefiting from it. Neither will happen, and I doubt very much if Brexit ever will either.

Steve if you put together all the parties view on Brexit it will never happen ! Plaid not good for Wales Scots dont want leave EU but want leave UK! Liberals want a referendum not sure on what as dont want leave either, dup want a say in everything or wont back anything and labour not sure what they want as the 3 factions have different views ? Only way to get Brexit is for large conservative majority and hope judges dont interfere in any way :old:

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:21 pm

We surely cant have a referendum before an election. Of the nation wide parties only the lib dems and greens had it in their manifesto at the election 2.5 years ago and they polled less than 10% of the vote between them. Campaign on it now and win the support of the people by all means but the current parliament has absolutely no mandate to have a referendum before the next election.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:26 pm

epping blue wrote:We surely cant have a referendum before an election. Of the nation wide parties only the lib dems and greens had it in their manifesto at the election 2.5 years ago and they polled less than 10% of the vote between them. Campaign on it now and win the support of the people by all means but the current parliament has absolutely no mandate to have a referendum before the next election.

If Corbyn and the rest have their way we will for simple reason he and the others know boris will win an election and they cannot have him win especially with majority!

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:09 pm

I think it's 320 votes needed - can't see them getting that on the weekend myself .

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:26 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:I think it's 320 votes needed - can't see them getting that on the weekend myself .

To be honest neither can I. We need an election. It might not sort out the arithmetic in Westminster but at least we''ll be confident that we knew the beliefs of those we voted for. Much of the electorate was conned in 2017.

I see the Lib Dems are conspiring to deny voters a judgement day on their newly acquired defectors. If either they or that tw*t Swinson had an ounce of integrity they'd let their constituents who they conned out of a vote be their judge. All bar 1 will fight seats elsewhere.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:38 am

epping blue wrote:We surely cant have a referendum before an election. Of the nation wide parties only the lib dems and greens had it in their manifesto at the election 2.5 years ago and they polled less than 10% of the vote between them. Campaign on it now and win the support of the people by all means but the current parliament has absolutely no mandate to have a referendum before the next election.

By definition parliament never has a mandate,only the political parties that make up a parliament do via manifesto promises and we all know none of them stick to them.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:21 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:

By definition parliament never has a mandate,only the political parties that make up a parliament do via manifesto promises and we all know none of them stick to them.

Very true what this sorry saga as shown is few politicians are trust worthy ! If this doesn't get passed how is another deal going to pass? Every MP and his dog have their own agenda so wont agree to any deal unless it favours themselves? And if give this deal to the people to vote on great idea but what if they say no?
and the remainers will want remain on ballot paper which means it's a new referendum without going through parliament is that democratic considering all the crap gone on about parliament having the right to decide?

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:32 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Very true what this sorry saga as shown is few politicians are trust worthy ! If this doesn't get passed how is another deal going to pass? Every MP and his dog have their own agenda so wont agree to any deal unless it favours themselves? And if give this deal to the people to vote on great idea but what if they say no?
and the remainers will want remain on ballot paper which means it's a new referendum without going through parliament is that democratic considering all the crap gone on about parliament having the right to decide?

Why are you so against the fact that people may have changed their minds? Have you never changed your mind on anything?
How is letting people have the choice to change their mind after all the new info has come out and a solid option given now undemocratic?