Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW: A MATCH PLAYED IN HORRENDOUS CONDITIONS/ WHERE KA

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:39 pm

MY VIEW / OPINION:

A MATCH PLAYED IN HORRENDOUS CONDITIONS/ WHERE KADEEM HARRIS TORMENTED CITY / BUT AN IMPROVED SECOND-HALF PERFORMANCE BY CITY & A LEE TOMLIN GOAL PRESERVED CARDIFF’S UNBEATEN HOME RECORD.

City improved vastly in the second half after an awful first-half.

Over all 1-1 was a fair result :bluebird:

The match was played in horrendous conditions .

A poor first-half performance by Cardiff.

Tonight saw the return of Striker Kadeem Harris and ex Swansea player/ manager Gary Monk.

First-half Sheffield Wednesday started brightly and Kadeem Harris continually opened up Cardiff and Wednesday deserved their lead with Harris shot helping score Wednesday goal.

Thankfully Kadeem Harris was much quieter in the 2nd-half.

CARDIFF CITY 1 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 1
Crowd 22,486
Away Support 680

City: Neil Etheridge Lee Peltier Aden Flint Sean Morrison Joe Bennett Leandro Bacuna
Joe Ralls Marlon Pack Nathaniel Mendez-Laing Josh Murphy Robert Glatzel

Subs: Alex Smithies Curtis Nelson Callum Paterson Lee Tomlin
Gavin Whyte Junior Hoilett Danny Ward

First/half

Wednesday were the better team and Harris played well, with Wednesday deserving their 19th minister lead, which came via a shot from Harris.

Danny Ward came on for Cardiff City after just 34 minutes, on in place of Leandro Bacuna.

Harris had an excellent free kick saved and over all Cardiff were poor.

H/T 0-1 :cry: Cardiff

First time Cardiff made Wednesday defend came after 61mins with Glatzel making the Wednesday keeper make a good save.

That was absolutely awful by Ralls with a free kick going over the crossbar like a rugby kick.

City improved vastly as the game went on.

75th min Whyte replaced Mendez-Laing.

Cardiff continued to go forward but looked awful upfront.

Kadeem Harris was quieter in this half and was replaced in the 78th min.

87th min Lee Tomlinson freekick left hand corner 1-1 :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW: A MATCH PLAYED IN HORRENDOUS CONDITIONS/ WHER

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:42 pm

We only improved when tomlin and whyte came on, it's no coincidence and surely warnock can see that

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Let's not kid ourselves, we were absolutely dreadful tonight.

Tomlin changed the game when he came on and got us a point we didn't deserve. But it has to be said, it wasn't a free kick in the first place.

That referee was awful.

All in all, definitely a point gained given our performance.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Updated :bluescarf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:46 pm

danielrees17 wrote:We only improved when tomlin and whyte came on, it's no coincidence and surely warnock can see that

Totally agree :bluebird:

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:46 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Let's not kid ourselves, we were absolutely dreadful tonight.

Tomlin changed the game when he came on and got us a point we didn't deserve. But it has to be said, it wasn't a free kick in the first place.

That referee was awful.

Ned, agreed 100% :thumbright:

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:47 pm

I thought we were terrible and were very, very lucky to get a point.

Team looked good on paper but Christ it was if they’d never played together before.

Warnock you’d better sort it out and quick and take the players who are terrible with you. Please don’t give us the crowd we’re great again it’s warn extremely thin.

The corridors of power need a good clear out on that display.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Watched it on the box tonight

Why cant we play from the start like we did the last 20 minutes.
Tomlin with fitness could be lethal.. 3 free kicks he picked up in good positions scoring a cracking free kick from one

Warnock has the tactics wrong from the start horrendous start.

I thought murphy got his game together in the last 20 minutes.

If we could play 70 minutes in a game like we did the last 20 minutes it could definitely be a changer this season.

Needed the 3pts but ide take the draw after rmthe start we had

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:50 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Let's not kid ourselves, we were absolutely dreadful tonight.

That referee was awful.

Game of two halfs thats for sure we restricted them to 2 shots only 1 on target compared to 1st half! Why Tomlin only got 10 mins never know man of match :mrgreen: match stats 50/50 unusually high possession for us 48%

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:00 pm

Terrible and embarrassing performance for 70 mins until we brought Tomlin on who changed the game and added some quality and threat.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:03 pm

1-1 probably fair.

They had the ball for 60 mins. We had the most clear cut chances.

My summary would be if it wasn't so wet we'd have scored 2 or 3 at the end. They were all over the shop.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Very poor performance,with a lot of players no where near the level they performed at last year,Mendez Laing and Glatzel looked way off the pace,conditions weren’t the best but they can’t use that as an excuse,tomlins makes a massive difference but it’s been said before,he can’t last 90 mins,to me we are looking like a mid table side,unless we see a big shift in performances

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Oops NW says that’s the best Tomlin he’s ever been in training this week but starts on the bench. Hmmm thats confusing.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:Oops NW says that’s the best Tomlin he’s ever been in training this week but starts on the bench. Hmmm thats confusing.

Hmmmm ;) - Difficult set of fixtures ;)

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:31 pm

What happened with Baccuna.Injured or or just dragged off to get Ward on.He went straight down the tunnel.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:35 pm

Watching city at the moment is akin to a trip to the dentist
Painful to watch ,Poor passing, mishit shots yet NW states on talksport in that he thought it was a game we could have won.
Cant remember the last time I enjoyed a game at the city

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:38 pm

theclaw wrote:What happened with Baccuna.Injured or or just dragged off to get Ward on.He went straight down the tunnel.

Dragged off .

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:44 pm

UTC. ( Up the City ) ! Not the best performances but take a point from an awful evening and wiped that smile of Monk face : onwards and upwards !!!!!

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Lucky to get a point after another inept performance against a decidedly average side who had Kadeem Harris as their most threatening player and gave Peltier a torrid time first half.

Lots of focus on Glatzel, who isn't good enough, but our chosen wide men tonight Lang and Murphys final delivery was once again dire. And some of Murphys was worse than that! His best cross on about 80 minutes took a wicked deflection and the number of balls he overhit is ridiculous.

Sir Neils body language toward Bacuna when substituted didn't look great and his after match comments that he looked jaded don't add up.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:59 pm

What I learned tonight

Tomlin should be playing and Glatzel is not strong enough to be our number 9.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Glatzel hardly had a pass to his feet all game yet still he gets criticised.

Why take off your centre forward when we’re chasing the game and you’re finally putting Tomlin on who might actually pass the ball to him !!!???

For me Ward showed today why he doesn’t start, he just doesn’t do enough and lacks pace.

Warnock now needs to accept that he has to build a team that will allowTomlin to play in most games. Nobody else can create enough for whoever plays upfront.

Next game Hoilett and Whyte wide, Tomlin in behind Glatzel.
Last edited by piledriver64 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Grandstand wrote:What I learned tonight

Tomlin should be playing and Glatzel is not strong enough to be our number 9.

We are not going to get anywhere near the play offs so I agree , give Tomlin a run up until xmas

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:06 pm

Thought we played aweful for 70 minutes but Sheffield Wednesday for all there olay didnt really trouble us in the final 3rd, last 20 minutes we could have scored a few think 1-1 probably fair result on the chances , Wednesday looked like they wanted it more for 70 min

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:07 pm

There were.much more than less than 700 away fans. I would guess 1200 plus

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:09 pm

Warnock does not play the ball to feet for the centre forward. The goalie kicks the ball out and he is looking for the forward to head down and disrupt play.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:09 pm

wez1927 wrote:Thought we played aweful for 70 minutes but Sheffield Wednesday for all there olay didnt really trouble us in the final 3rd, last 20 minutes we could have scored a few think 1-1 probably fair result on the chances , Wednesday looked like they wanted it more for 70 min

Monk said in his post match interview that his players should have played the last half hour the same way they played the 1st 60 and reckoned it was a fair result based on the game play. Can’t argue with that, we were lucky plain and simple

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 pm

snoopystorm wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Thought we played aweful for 70 minutes but Sheffield Wednesday for all there olay didnt really trouble us in the final 3rd, last 20 minutes we could have scored a few think 1-1 probably fair result on the chances , Wednesday looked like they wanted it more for 70 min

Monk said in his post match interview that his players should have played the last half hour the same way they played the 1st 60 and reckoned it was a fair result based on the game play. Can’t argue with that, we were lucky plain and simple

I can't remember them having much action in the box tho , they were much better than us up to the last 3rd then they seem to not do a lot

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Murphy was terrible again? Just doesn’t give 100% at all, and to predictable

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:14 pm

snoopystorm wrote:

fair enough..but.
bit of a strange thing to say having taken Kadeem {who I felt caused us problems and was possibly their best player } and Bannan { their play maker } off..

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:16 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Glatzel hardly had a pass to his feet all game yet still he gets criticised.

Why take off your centre forward when we’re chasing the game and you’re finally putting Tomlin on who might actually pass the ball to him !!!???

For me Ward showed today why he doesn’t start, he just doesn’t do enough and lacks pace.

Warnock now needs to accept that he has to build a team that will allowTomlin to play in most games. Nobody else can create enough for whoever plays upfront.

Next game Hoilett and Whyte wide, Tomlin in behind Glatzel.

Been banging on about this all season can blame glatzel for misses he has but no striker scores every chance not even messi! Your right about sums though takes off striker then puts on a player who can actually make a proper pass on the floor rather than flint or Morrison playing it from back for him to fight to defenders for ball! Big mistake by NW tonight with who he subed that's for sure ...