Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Can Cardiff be considered as a big club?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:02 pm

How does our club stack up against other clubs,for years before we got to the promised land fans used to say we’re a sleeping giant,if only we got to the top flight we’d more than hold our own,well we did and we didn’t.
How is a big club measured,do potential suitors think we’re a big club?
Who can remember the stay off the pitch game against Stoke,they then went on to have 8 years in the PL,now all that counts for nothing as they’re staring at LG 1,are they a big club.
How do we even compare against the scummers down west,are we the same size as Leicester yet they are years ahead of us since we beat them in the playoffs.
Just asking like !

Re: Can Cardiff be considered as a big club?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Cardiff are a big club , financially , fan base , league status , stadium.

I would say there are 5 tiers in British football when it comes to sizes of clubs

The super clubs :
The likes of Man utd and Liverpool

Huge clubs :
Clubs with big fanbases, massive stadiums and long histories like Newcastle , West ham and Spurs.

Big clubs :
Clubs with a decent history, big stadiums and in good league Like Cardiff , West brom and Notts forest

Average clubs :
The average Joe's who bounce between leagues but have lower fan bases and small stadiums. Some have short spells of success.
Clubs like Swansea , Bolton, Fulham

The Small teams :
The Wrexham, Bristol rovers and shrewsbury type teams.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:14 pm

thomasblue wrote:Cardiff are a big club , financially , fan base , league status , stadium.

I would say there are 5 tiers in British football when it comes to sizes of clubs

The super clubs :

Huge clubs :
Clubs with big fanbases, massive stadiums and long histories like Newcastle , West ham and Spurs.

Big clubs :
Clubs with a decent history, big stadiums and in good league Like Cardiff , West brom and Notts forest

Average clubs :
The average Joe's who bounce between leagues but have lower fan bases and small stadiums. Some have short spells of success.

The Small teams :

That’s a fair assessment imo mate.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:19 pm

We have been "sleeping giants" for as long as I have been a supporter which is over fifty years. At least in the eyes of City fans we are "sleeping giants", when I mention it to fans of other teams they usually just laugh.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:27 pm

No.

There are many clubs bigger than us in our league and below.

Forest, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Fulham, West Brom, Ipswich, Bolton etc

We may have a new and bigger stadium compared to some of those and currently be in a higher league than some of them, but it doesn't make us a bigger club. If the football pyramid was based on attendances, Bournemouth wouldn't be where they are.

In my view, you judge it on history. In the last 60 odd years, we've had two seasons in the top flight. We've won the FA Cup once. That doesn't constitute a big club.

It's for that reason I say Man City have a long long way to go to be bigger than Man Utd. In fact, there's nobody in the English pyramid who are anywhere near close to being as big as Liverpool and Man Utd.

I can guarantee the majority of football fans in the UK don't see us as a big club, nowhere near.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Ninianman wrote:How does our club stack up against other clubs,for years before we got to the promised land fans used to say we’re a sleeping giant,if only we got to the top flight we’d more than hold our own,well we did and we didn’t.
How is a big club measured,do potential suitors think we’re a big club?
Who can remember the stay off the pitch game against Stoke,they then went on to have 8 years in the PL,now all that counts for nothing as they’re staring at LG 1,are they a big club.
How do we even compare against the scummers down west,are we the same size as Leicester yet they are years ahead of us since we beat them in the playoffs.
Just asking like !

I don't think going up and failing to stay up is a measure of whether a club is big or not...more a measure of the club not having the right people in place off the field in order to ensure that we had the right players on the field - and more generally the right quality squad. On both occasions we failed to get the right squad, which means that we didn't have the right people in place off the field. Our off field team didn't have the quality or nous to stay up.
To prove whether or not we are a big club we needed to survive in the Premier league in order to build the club.
Personally I believe that if we could build a successful squad, a top class training facility, a good academy etc we could build our support. If for instance we had Leicester's success we would need a bigger stadium. Similar size cities but Cardiff has huge advantage with a population in the valleys and beyond double that of Cardiff itself.
If we had a team as good as liverpool or man city over an extended period would we get similar crowds? I think so.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:55 pm

Big in the championship

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 pm

It does'nt help then does it if we are looking at bargin basement manager and budget players if you think big you will be big
but we supporters put rescrictions on ourselves we cannot afford this and that, well if tan wants to spend let him .

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:49 pm

montyblue wrote:It does'nt help then does it if we are looking at bargin basement manager and budget players if you think big you will be big
but we supporters put rescrictions on ourselves we cannot afford this and that, well if tan wants to spend let him .

Agreed,that was going to be my next point,why aren’t the big names in the hat for the job,we seem to be lowering our expectations of who will take the job,is that fitting for a club like us whether big or not.
Would Sheff Wednesday,Derby Forest and similar be contemplating some of the names we’ve heard?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:53 pm

No unfortunately.August 2020 is the 100th anniversary of city becoming a league club. in that time we've only managed 17 seasons in the top division and lifted one major trophy.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:57 pm

No unfortunately.August 2020 is the 100th anniversary of city becoming a league club. in that time we've only managed 17 seasons in the top division and lifted one major trophy.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 pm

No,you just got to look at the list of potential new managers to realise that

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:33 pm

No,you just got to look at the list of potential new managers to realise that

Ha ha.. sad but true

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:42 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:No.

Forest, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Fulham, West Brom, Ipswich, Bolton etc

We may have a new and bigger stadium compared to some of those and currently be in a higher league than some of them, but it doesn't make us a bigger club. If the football pyramid was based on attendances, Bournemouth wouldn't be where they are.

In my view, you judge it on history. In the last 60 odd years, we've had two seasons in the top flight. We've won the FA Cup once. That doesn't constitute a big club.

It's for that reason I say Man City have a long long way to go to be bigger than Man Utd. In fact, there's nobody in the English pyramid who are anywhere near close to being as big as Liverpool and Man Utd.

I can guarantee the majority of football fans in the UK don't see us as a big club, nowhere near.

Fulham :laughing6: Bolton :laughing6: yea ok :laughing6:

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:48 pm

thomasblue wrote:Cardiff are a big club , financially , fan base , league status , stadium.

The super clubs :

Huge clubs :

Big clubs :

Average clubs :

The Small teams :

I’d have us in the average bracket. We’ve had 16 top flight seasons and have only ever won one major trophy. Bolton have been in the top flight far more than us.
If you look at our fan base, it’s probably one of the most fickle in the country, averaging well over 30000 on numerous occasions and averaging about 3000 when things go bad.
Our natural level is the Championship. We’ve had nearly 50 seasons at that level.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:06 pm

Our history i believe is why the fan base is so fickle .ive been waiting since 1975 for the club to have a decent stint in the top flight an lift a trophy. Alas it never happens. Cant think of any other big area in the country that's waited so long .

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:28 pm

Ray Bishop wrote:

The super clubs :

Huge clubs :

Big clubs :

Average clubs :

The Small teams :

I’d have us in the average bracket. We’ve had 16 top flight seasons and have only ever won one major trophy. Bolton have been in the top flight far more than us.
If you look at our fan base, it’s probably one of the most fickle in the country, averaging well over 30000 on numerous occasions and averaging about 3000 when things go bad.
Our natural level is the Championship. We’ve had nearly 50 seasons at that level.

our crowds hit the lows because we spent 18 consecutive years in the lower leagues you can tack on 11 years prior to that where we spent almost all our tine in the bottom 6 of this division...none of the clubs people consider the big clubs have had to endure anything like that.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:13 pm

Not really in any way shape or form are Cardiff a big club. But on the other hand we ain't a little minnow scraping along trying to avoid bankruptcy and closure. We'll pull a good a crowd when we have a good season but that's the same for any club really.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:14 am

Is the point here whether we can compete with the clubs who are not at the absolute top of the tree?

The top six two Mancs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs are beyond the reach. West Ham, Newcastle and Everton have history and longevity we don't.

There are nine other places available in an 18 team top flight.

Those nine places have been rotated and fluid for decades.

With our stadium, capital city status, demography, catchment area we should aspire to be fighting continually.

Leeds, Forrest, Derby have had golden eras but they didn't last long and surely we can think we are bigger than Bournemouth, Burnley, Norwich and Watford?

Sam Hamman talked a lot of shite but he had ambition and talked us up. He said getting to the Premier League would be more fun than being there and he was right.

He also said if we played big games at the Millennium Stadium we could fill it and we could.

We are a big club but no where near being a super club. We do though still have untapped potential to be more than we have been which I'm not sure can be said of clubs of a like the aforementioned Burnley, Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford. Burnley and Watford have smaller populations than Newport for gods sake and both have super clubs on their doorstep to compete with.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:31 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Is the point here whether we can compete with the clubs who are not at the absolute top of the tree?

The top six two Mancs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs are beyond the reach. West Ham, Newcastle and Everton have history and longevity we don't.

With our stadium, capital city status, demography, catchment area we should aspire to be fighting continually.

Leeds, Forrest, Derby have had golden eras but they didn't last long and surely we can think we are bigger than Bournemouth, Burnley, Norwich and Watford?

Sam Hamman talked a lot of shite but he had ambition and talked us up. He said getting to the Premier League would be more fun than being there and he was right.

He also said if we played big games at the Millennium Stadium we could fill it and we could.

We are a big club but no where near being a super club. We do though still have untapped potential to be more than we have been which I'm not sure can be said of clubs of a like the aforementioned Burnley, Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford. Burnley and Watford have smaller populations than Newport for gods sake and both have super clubs on their doorstep to compete with.

agree
we need a prolonged spell in the prem if we are to get anywhere near our potential..
Leeds had a ten year spell under Revie where they were never out of the top 4, won 2 titles, played in 9 finals winning 4...but prior to that had a record similar to ours only with smaller attendances than ours ..to reach our absolute potential I think we need similar..dont think that possible in this day and age without a sheikh ?

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:03 am

I would say that potentially we are a big Club; we are the capital city of Wales, we have a massive catchment area stretching way beyond the City of Cardiff, if we were able to sustain Premier League football we would be increasing our stadium capacity, we have one of the best stadiums without a doubt and we have a large passionate fanbase. The key is being able to compete in the Premier League. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:36 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:No.

Ipswich, Bolton, Fulham and Portsmouth aren’t big clubs, the latter three don’t even pull 20,000 crowds ever

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:38 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Is the point here whether we can compete with the clubs who are not at the absolute top of the tree?

If we were like Everton and West Ham of recent and stayed up for 10 years or more and looked stable, we would get 40,000 gates I reckon for the big games, 30,000 for the lesser ones....

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:39 am

When you consider the through history, we have achieved higher status for longer and battled for more honours than the majority, including Division One (now premier League championship) the FA Cup, 4 major Finals (3 FA Cup and the League cup) I would put us in the top 10 - 15% of all-time clubs

Clearly, there are 'giant' clubs but as 'big' clubs, there aren't too many above Cardiff City in stature and/or achievements, so for me it's a 'big' club and we shouldn't be embarrassed to say that :clap:

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:16 am

Has everyone forgotten we also have an international airport? :bluescarf:

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:29 am

hard to define as you look at championship got forest Leeds Birmingham derby and others all bigger than us... but in premier league got Watford burnley Brighton ect ect are they bigger no... we are a probably somewhere in between.. but we do have potential to be up with derby ect given period of success. :old:

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:47 am

Sven wrote:When you consider the through history, we have achieved higher status for longer and battled for more honours than the majority, including Division One (now premier League championship) the FA Cup, 4 major Finals (3 FA Cup and the League cup) I would put us in the top 10 - 15% of all-time clubs

Clearly, there are 'giant' clubs but as 'big' clubs, there aren't too many above Cardiff City in stature and/or achievements, so for me it's a 'big' club and we shouldn't be embarrassed to say that :clap:

no sven, 24 current clubs have one the league all winning at least 1 cup as well ..another 4 have won more than 1 cup...all those plus about a dozen other teams who have won nothing have spent more time in the top tier than ourselves.....its a miracle we get the support we do..

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:54 am

100% correct dogfound. Us 17 top flight seasons last major trophy 1927 . Brum derby Sheffield forest Leeds wba wovles etc All with a minimum of 50 top flight seasons behind them.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:02 am

skiprat wrote:100% correct dogfound. Us 17 top flight seasons last major trophy 1927 . Brum derby Sheffield forest Leeds wba wovles etc All with a minimum of 50 top flight seasons behind them.

and smaller clubs like blackpool and preston
we are without doubt the leagues biggest under achievers..

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 am

skiprat wrote:Our history i believe is why the fan base is so fickle .ive been waiting since 1975 for the club to have a decent stint in the top flight an lift a trophy. Alas it never happens. Cant think of any other big area in the country that's waited so long .

Bristol City have never won a major trophy and are yet to make it to the prem.