Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Travel problems euro 2020.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:48 pm

The problems wales fans can expect in following team in euros? Due to the nature of the draw, Wales could end up playing their first match in Baku, 2,600 miles (4,200km) from Cardiff, a second match in Rome, 1,930 miles (3,100km) from Baku, before returning to the Azeri capital for the final group game....this means supporters could rack up close to 6,500 miles (10,500 km) in the group stage alone.! .....
Should Wales make it through to the knockout stages they will travel to Bilbao or London if they win the group,.... Amsterdam if they come second.... and Bucharest, Bilbao or Glasgow should they make it through after finishing third!... The quarter-finals are in Rome, Munich, St Petersburg and Baku,..... while the semi-finals and final will take place at Wembley Stadium in London. So hope fans got plenty of holidays and plenty of money. :occasion5:

Re: Travel problems euro 2020.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Pretty ridiculous really. Each group should play in a different country where all games are played there.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:10 pm

Escott1927 wrote:Pretty ridiculous really. Each group should play in a different country where all games are played there.

Estimated 3 times the cost of 2016 not withstanding taking holiday time off work? Totally ludicrous

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:10 pm

pembroke allan wrote:The problems wales fans can expect in following team in euros? Due to the nature of the draw, Wales could end up playing their first match in Baku, 2,600 miles (4,200km) from Cardiff, a second match in Rome, 1,930 miles (3,100km) from Baku, before returning to the Azeri capital for the final group game....this means supporters could rack up close to 6,500 miles (10,500 km) in the group stage alone.! .....
Should Wales make it through to the knockout stages they will travel to Bilbao or London if they win the group,.... Amsterdam if they come second.... and Bucharest, Bilbao or Glasgow should they make it through after finishing third!... The quarter-finals are in Rome, Munich, St Petersburg and Baku,..... while the semi-finals and final will take place at Wembley Stadium in London. So hope fans got plenty of holidays and plenty of money. :occasion5:

I would much prefer to be in this group than the other though...
Belgium { ranked 1st } in a neutral ground
and 2 away games against Denmark and Russia...crap

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:26 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:The problems wales fans can expect in following team in euros? Due to the nature of the draw, Wales could end up playing their first match in Baku, 2,600 miles (4,200km) from Cardiff, a second match in Rome, 1,930 miles (3,100km) from Baku, before returning to the Azeri capital for the final group game....this means supporters could rack up close to 6,500 miles (10,500 km) in the group stage alone.! .....

Didnt know we knew opposition yet? But there again confusion is UEFAs middle name.. :mrgreen:

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:34 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Didnt know we knew opposition yet? But there again confusion is UEFAs middle name.. :mrgreen:

yes mate, its been said enough on here. Belgium as one of the top seeds { they are actually THE top seed } have been allocated a group ..and of course Denmark and Russia are the host nations for that group ...so that particular group just needs a team from pot 4.... so either us or finland get to play the number1 seeds and 2 away games...not what springs to mind when the word DRAW is used..

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:25 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:

yes mate, its been said enough on here. Belgium as one of the top seeds { they are actually THE top seed } have been allocated a group ..and of course Denmark and Russia are the host nations for that group ...so that particular group just needs a team from pot 4.... so either us or finland get to play the number1 seeds and 2 away games...not what springs to mind when the word DRAW is used..

A very loaded draw then Presume all the smaller nations have same problem ?

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:

A very loaded draw then Presume all the smaller nations have same problem ?

no mate...4 of the groups only have 1 of the hosts qualified and in each of the 4 the host is also a top seed...the Italy /baku group is one of these...so if in that group we play Italy away..but play against whoever is drawn out of pots 2 and 3 in neutral grounds..

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:21 pm

The fact that an awful lot of the host cities are destination cities in their own right is going to be an issue. Hotels and flights are already at a premium for that time of year. I've always been of the opinion that the last thing you needed was to move for the middle fixture and back. After spending most of today researching I've come to the conclusion that may be best. The less time spent in a host city will be better on the pocket and time in a transit location a little cheaper.

Not sure about Baku though, flights are already double what we paid but accommodation should be cheaper. It was really dear for the Euro Final though but we've got a sort of gentlemen's agreement with our hotel from last week. Not worth the paper its not written on probably but who knows. What I do know its going be dear especially for me who'll after pay for his son who will have just finished in uni.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:14 pm

epping blue wrote:The fact that an awful lot of the host cities are destination cities in their own right is going to be an issue. Hotels and flights are already at a premium for that time of year. I've always been of the opinion that the last thing you needed was to move for the middle fixture and back. After spending most of today researching I've come to the conclusion that may be best. The less time spent in a host city will be better on the pocket and time in a transit location a little cheaper.

Not sure about Baku though, flights are already double what we paid but accommodation should be cheaper. It was really dear for the Euro Final though but we've got a sort of gentlemen's agreement with our hotel from last week. Not worth the paper its not written on probably but who knows. What I do know its going be dear especially for me who'll after pay for his son who will have just finished in uni.

think the flights are up due to time of year..as are hotels...they will jump again...spoke with a few asrenal fans that flew to Tehran last year, hired an 8 seater and drove to baku…
ive been looking at tiblisi for 10 nights...and not bothering with rome should we have 2 games in baku..

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:21 pm

epping blue wrote:The fact that an awful lot of the host cities are destination cities in their own right is going to be an issue. Hotels and flights are already at a premium for that time of year. I've always been of the opinion that the last thing you needed was to move for the middle fixture and back. After spending most of today researching I've come to the conclusion that may be best. The less time spent in a host city will be better on the pocket and time in a transit location a little cheaper.

it was never said..but I thought all that send the fool further stuff in france 4 years ago was partly an attempt to limit trouble… England and Russia kick off and the next day everyone is on the move..
Baku ...3 sets of fans for ten days ?..now that could go pete tong..

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:20 am

looking at the potential fixtures, it looks like we would start with back to back games in Baku, then the last match against Italy in Rome. Much better than travelling back and forth

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 am

paulh_85 wrote:looking at the potential fixtures, it looks like we would start with back to back games in Baku, then the last match against Italy in Rome. Much better than travelling back and forth

id be chuffed with that. what makes you think its likely

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:34 am

dogfound wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:looking at the potential fixtures, it looks like we would start with back to back games in Baku, then the last match against Italy in Rome. Much better than travelling back and forth

I wasn't that struck on Baku to be honest. Could get very claustrophobic with 30k football fans in the city. I'd prefer the Copenhagen / st Petersburg group.

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:54 am

Not just crap for the fans though, it's also crap for the team.
2016 we had a fantastic team base which helped us build rapport and respect with the locals, and also help build team bonding.

Having the team just travel from city to city will do nothing for that.

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:31 pm

epping blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I wasn't that struck on Baku to be honest. Could get very claustrophobic with 30k football fans in the city. I'd prefer the Copenhagen / st Petersburg group.

or me. it was bottom of my personal....where I would like us to play league.
but the number 1 seeds plus 2 games that in effect are away games along with UEFAs idea of what a cup draw is has changed my mind..

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Sadly the likelihood is that I will be missing this tournament for varying reasons outside of my controll anyway but I think the whole concept is a farce.

The magic of the whole thing for me comes with having a single host nation/2 at a push like holland/Belgium etc.

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:35 pm

RV Casual wrote:Sadly the likelihood is that I will be missing this tournament for varying reasons outside of my controll anyway but I think the whole concept is a farce.

The magic of the whole thing for me comes with having a single host nation/2 at a push like holland/Belgium etc.

far too many countries being given an advantage..

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:55 pm

dogfound wrote:

according to Wiki, teams ranked 1 and 4 play each other in the third round of group games.

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:54 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
dogfound wrote:

according to Wiki, teams ranked 1 and 4 play each other in the third round of group games.

:thumbup:

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:57 pm

RV Casual wrote:Sadly the likelihood is that I will be missing this tournament for varying reasons outside of my controll anyway but I think the whole concept is a farce.

They have really made this tournament a farce complicated and very hard for fans to get to let’s hope fans have got big bank accounts with lots of money in them they will need it I can’t see fans doing every trip let’s hope wales get to the semi final at Wembley we will certainly fill our end at Wembley even the playoffs are a farce

Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:39 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:

They have really made this tournament a farce complicated and very hard for fans to get to let’s hope fans have got big bank accounts with lots of money in them they will need it I can’t see fans doing every trip let’s hope wales get to the semi final at Wembley we will certainly fill our end at Wembley even the playoffs are a farce

I was chatting about it with mates the other day mate, for Euro 2016 I had booked flights and accommodation by October 2015 for the entire duration of the Group Stages.

We had a base and knew that the worse case scenario would mean us having to travel the length of France if the fixtures panned out in a certain way in the groups (which it did :lol: ) but that it was easily doable as you can fly from end to end in an hour.

This just seems like a logistical nightmare Baku to Rome for example is a 5 hour flight in itself I believe, this is going to cost people an absolute fortune.

I am gutted especially as the next World Cup is in Qatar aswell, probably means the next tournament I'll get to if we qualify will be Euro 2024 in Germany, now that will be some tournament and how it should be.

Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:25 am

The advantage being given to a whole group of "hosts" playing at home is a joke.
As is the treatment of fans being asked to travel ridiculous distances to get to the these venues.
Its almost as if they want fans to fly out from home to the match venue and then go home after before repeating the same again. There's almost no point in having a "base" and I expect that's what a few of the teams my do.

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:The advantage being given to a whole group of "hosts" playing at home is a joke.
As is the treatment of fans being asked to travel ridiculous distances to get to the these venues.
Its almost as if they want fans to fly out from home to the match venue and then go home after before repeating the same again. There's almost no point in having a "base" and I expect that's what a few of the teams my do.

if its Baku/Rome/Baku its not just the time ,distance and money...its also flight availability .
its done my head in over the last few days after being so chuffed last week..

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:08 pm

dogfound wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:The advantage being given to a whole group of "hosts" playing at home is a joke.

if its Baku/Rome/Baku its not just the time ,distance and money...its also flight availability .

I bet Finland are praying they get group B. 3 hours on the train from Helsinki to St Petersburg and Copenhagen little more than an over nighter. We've drawn the short straw but if we get Baku then its a bit of a disaster.

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm

epping blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

I bet Finland are praying they get group B. 3 hours on the train from Helsinki to St Petersburg and Copenhagen little more than an over nighter. We've drawn the short straw but if we get Baku then its a bit of a disaster.

for fans its lose lose...group of death or a logistical nightmare.. no direct flights from baku to rome so 7 hours minimum. and possibly 7 back....very few flights direct from uk to Baku and will be extortionate.. and to top it all both stadiums are not purpose built football grounds and have running tracks around the pitch..

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:45 pm

dogfound wrote:
epping blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

for fans its lose lose...group of death or a logistical nightmare.. no direct flights from baku to rome so 7 hours minimum. and possibly 7 back....very few flights direct from uk to Baku and will be extortionate.. and to top it all both stadiums are not purpose built football grounds and have running tracks around the pitch..

It really is a farce. With the choices of stadiums throughout Europe to chose between, including our own, you'd think a running track would be an immediate veto.

At least travelling excessive distances won't be an issue next time in Qatar.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:43 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:
dogfound wrote:
epping blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

It really is a farce. With the choices of stadiums throughout Europe to chose between, including our own, you'd think a running track would be an immediate veto.

the whole Qatar thing is a joke.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:07 am

dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:
epping blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Qatar 2022 actually makes Euro 2020 seem entirely rational. Amazing how Fifa and Uefa can come up with two completely opposing strategies two years apart. Not one new stadium for 2020 and not one flight between venues in 2022.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:16 am

dogfound wrote:
dogfound wrote:
epping blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Qatar 2022 actually makes Euro 2020 seem entirely rational. Amazing how Fifa and Uefa can come up with two completely opposing strategies two years apart. Not one new stadium for 2020 and not one flight between venues in 2022.

May not be flights between citys in Qatar but hopefully group stage will be held in same city and knockout venues are known before start of taunement at least get time to organise things wont be simple but then is any world cup simple? But knowing fifa probably done as taunement starts!! :roll: