Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman reveals ‘

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:28 pm

Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman reveals the moral and financial reasons behind the club’s refusal to pay Nantes the huge fee for the player.

By Katie Sands

Tuesday 21st January 2020

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

CARDIFF CITY CHAIRMAN MEHMET DALMAN:

“There remain so many unanswered questions.”

“If the player was an asset of Cardiff, what right did anyone have to make decisions on our behalf about the pilot, the state of the plane and all aspects about the licensing to fly commercially?

“A club of our size do not have vast resources.”

“It is obvious we cannot hand over £15million . . .  without heading toward bankruptcy.”

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226 :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman reveals ‘

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:57 pm

If £15m less in the coffers means potential bankruptcy, how were the club in a position to spend this money in the first place. Possibly me being a bit cynical, but something about that statement doesn't sound quite right.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:07 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:If £15m less in the coffers means potential bankruptcy, how were the club in a position to spend this money in the first place. Possibly me being a bit cynical, but something about that statement doesn't sound quite right.

Staggered payments not one lump sum.

Its Well known Tan is propping us up every month and the club at present is not sustainable.

Take Tan out and yes the Sala fee could bankrupt us.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:36 pm

The player was not a asset his signature and playing registration was. The player was a PERSON. Hate the wording of that statement by Dalman.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:42 pm

Bluedodo wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:If £15m less in the coffers means potential bankruptcy, how were the club in a position to spend this money in the first place. Possibly me being a bit cynical, but something about that statement doesn't sound quite right.

The club was in the middle of a season in the premier league where they received 100 million plus.They also made offers big other players plus at the end of this season they are due a payment of 10 million from fulham for reid.
No something does not add up

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:52 pm

stickywicket wrote:
Bluedodo wrote:

The club was in the middle of a season in the premier league where they received 100 million plus.They also made offers big other players plus at the end of this season they are due a payment of 10 million from fulham for reid.

Weird how they can blow 15 million on madine and Murphy, but 15 for Sala is the end of the world? Strange as I was reading how we are almost debt free to Tan now...

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Staggering words by Dalman, Hmmmmmm?

It does not add up.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 pm

Don't really listen to what he says in public anymore.

He says one thing but means something completely different.

He could have had a career as an MP.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:39 pm

Think he has a point.

Replace asset with our player and yes what right did anyone have to arrange such a flight? Surely we would have not allowed it if he was our player.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:25 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Think he has a point.

Replace asset with our player and yes what right did anyone have to arrange such a flight? Surely we would have not allowed it if he was our player.

As horrible as this sounds no disrespect intended he was an asset like every player at the club is. Cardiff City Fc is a business and dalmans speaking from a business perspective in which he's right in what he's saying. If you paid 500k for a car and the boat it was shipping with sunk would you say its only 500k? Rest in peace Sala thoughts with his family.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:50 pm

I think it’s probably a case of a quote taken out of context.

He probably means if any business just went about just handing over 15 million pounds just like that they’d go bankrupt and they would.

Not that if we spent 15 million now we’d go bankrupt.

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:08 am

Llan_Blue wrote:I think it’s probably a case of a quote taken out of context.

He probably means if any business just went about just handing over 15 million pounds just like that they’d go bankrupt and they would.

After some thought (and a little confusion) I agree,my personal take is,I bet Vincent Tan has been spitting nails behind the scenes,what with this hanging over the club,and the wasted millions on bit part players?I know I'd be fuming,it's costing millions to run the club,and we as paying fans don't cover the wages :? Not even one players ;) I've a feeling some heads will roll,if the case goes against us,and especially if as some people are saying there was no insurance in place. :old: :bluebird:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:57 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Don't really listen to what he says in public anymore.

He says one thing but means something completely different.

He could have had a career as an MP.

Ned, every time I see Dalman, I actually say to him you should of been a MP :lol:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:59 am

bluesince62 wrote:

After some thought (and a little confusion) I agree,my personal take is,I bet Vincent Tan has been spitting nails behind the scenes,what with this hanging over the club,and the wasted millions on bit part players?I know I'd be fuming,it's costing millions to run the club,and we as paying fans don't cover the wages :? Not even one players ;) I've a feeling some heads will roll,if the case goes against us,and especially if as some people are saying there was no insurance in place. :old: :bluebird:

I was told with in 48hrs Dalman & Choo were tools to sort all this out regarding the money , Tan was suppose to be fuming with them both .

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:08 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Think he has a point.

I agree with you Baked. Firstly MD is pointing out that if the club gives away £15m with no asset in return it would soon go bankrupt.

And again if Sala was our 'asset' then why didn't we have any say in the travel arrangements? Why does someone else get to decide to gamble the life of our player (asset) when it is not them who would take the financial hit if anything went wrong?

For me those who made the travel arrangements are liable. I also think Nantes are responsible as their part of the deal was to deliver a match fit striker to CCFC in exchange for £15m which they failed to do so.

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:22 am

Dalhman would have left us only charlton changed there view, i get confused with anything he says, fork tounge.

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:31 am

Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

I was told with in 48hrs Dalman & Choo were tools to sort all this out regarding the money , Tan was suppose to be fuming with them both .

I don’t blame him it’s a cluster f**k of a transfer that could only happen to us.

We seem to always get people running the club who can’t do the basics right.

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:55 am

Llan_Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

I don’t blame him it’s a cluster f**k of a transfer that could only happen to us.

Llan_Blue diving in the deep end without his floatation device again! :oops:

We've had some good owners/Chairmen in the past and some poor ones

Tan certainly isn't in the second group but he may be in the first, if he completes the task and leaves us in a (relatively) secure position when he does eventually leave. Like others, I certainly know the position we were in before he arrived and how he initially 'gave it a go' under Malky and somewhat let down by the sycophants that surrounded him

PS: What Forever Blue said about Daman and Choo (and one other) being hauled over the coals is spot on ;)

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am

Its a mess - but I suspect the lawyers and insurance companies have got involved, and have probably stopped any payments being made until liability is proven. If there is any chance that the club can avoid paying anything, then the lawyers and insurance companies will do their best to extract their money too.

Unfortunately, this could take years, making the club look bad in the meantime.

As supporters, all we can do is commemorate the anniversary of his death with dignity and live the rest to the men in suits. :bluescarf:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:56 am

Dalman says in here:

And now does not deny that Emilano Sala was registered as a Cardiff player, the reasons he gives in a quite a few pages is that others should take responsibility due to them organising Sala’s return to Cardiff.
Plus Nantes are to blame , he only blames agents.

The problem is Emiliano Sala was registered as a Cardiff City player with the Welsh FA and Nantes have proved it with the right paper work.

As from day one, I see Cardiff having to pay it all, with costs and big lawyers fees.

Dalman:

“There remain so many unanswered questions.”

“If the player was an asset of Cardiff, what right did anyone have to make decisions on our behalf about the pilot, the state of the plane and all aspects about the licensing to fly commercially?

“A club of our size do not have vast resources.”

“It is obvious we cannot hand over £15million . . .  without heading toward bankruptcy.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:35 pm

Sven wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Tan certainly isn't in the second group but he may be in the first, if he completes the task and leaves us in a (relatively) secure position when he does eventually leave. Like others, I certainly know the position we were in before he arrived and how he initially 'gave it a go' under Malky and somewhat let down by the sycophants that surrounded him

PS: What Forever Blue said about Daman and Choo (and one other) being hauled over the coals is spot on ;)

What are you on about now with those embarrassed emojis?

Not a very wise choice of words about flotation devices considering what we are talking about.

When I said people running the club I was talking about Dalman and Choo and all the failures before them. So I don’t know why you went off on a rant about Tan.

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:05 pm

stickywicket wrote:
Bluedodo wrote:

Forget fulhams ried payment
We probably still owe bristol

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:06 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

Not a very wise choice of words about flotation devices considering what we are talking about.

When I said people running the club I was talking about Dalman and Choo and all the failures before them. So I don’t know why you went off on a rant about Tan.

You twist how you want, fella, so long as you avoid the crux of the comment, which is valid :thumbup:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:14 pm

I remember the news clip where Ken Choo spoke on the morning Emiliano Sala went missing by saying about the flight back and he stated that it wasnt in the clubs jurisdiction to arrange the flight back.
Make what you want of that but it tells me something :bluebird:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:25 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:
stickywicket wrote:
Bluedodo wrote:

Forget fulhams ried payment
We probably still owe bristol

But if we owe it to Bristol it means that we hadn't paid it last year and therefore it can't be taken into account when calculating how much of the £100m plus we received was spent on transfers.

Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:43 pm

Just about sums up a total Banker type. Money not passion. Spreadsheets not people. VT needs to jettison these so called advisors and trust footballing people to guide and be faithful. Dalman go run Charlton or whoever...

Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:12 pm

Sven wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

You twist how you want, fella, so long as you avoid the crux of the comment, which is valid :thumbup:

Seriously now what you going on about?

What’s the crux of the comment?

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:29 pm

I trust the comments taken out of context as they make Dalman sound deluded.

Unlikely I know but if Gareth Bale jumps in an uber that his mate with less money has booked, car crashes, Bale and driver die, do Real Madrid go and ask Tottenham for their money back? Or sue his mate? And for good measure the FA of Wales sue Uber.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:49 pm

What about the parachute payments ,if we have to pay can't we use that ?

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:13 am

Charlie Harper wrote:I remember the news clip where Ken Choo spoke on the morning Emiliano Sala went missing by saying about the flight back and he stated that it wasnt in the clubs jurisdiction to arrange the flight back.
Make what you want of that but it tells me something :bluebird:

And he was right, of course it isn't.

I have said it before and I will say it again - the arguments put forward are embarrassing and senseless, no legal team on the planet would advise this, it is clearly Tan being stubborn and not listening or understanding the situation.

Of course companies don't have the right to arrange all travel for their employees out of hours. People are free to move about as they please, they are not slaves. The fact that is one of their main points to argue against paying it utterly ludicrous and you guys should be up in arms that the club is being dragged through the mud for this senseless and idiotic argument.

Also it is not a difficult concept to understand when it comes to ownership. Reading the FIFA document clearly says they (Tan) believed he was not their player because the Premier League would not allow him to play in the competition without an amended signing on fee that complies with their rules.

That simply means he was not able to play in the Premier League at the time, not that he wasn't a Cardiff player. Ownership is decided by valid employment contracts being signed (which they were) and international clearance being given (which was). The fact the contracts were not valid for Premier League competition is irrelevant, plenty of players have been signed that are unable to play in the Premier League.

Those two arguments are the whole basis of the stance by the club, they are both akin to something an intern would put together that can be ripped apart in seconds by anyone with even the basic knowledge of the game.

You guys should be furious.