Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING NEIL HARRIS: " UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS "

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:18 am

:bluescarf: :bluebird: NEIL HARRIS TODAY UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Thursday 23rd January 2020

NEIL HARRIS:

“We've identified players I believe can strengthen us, getting them is the hard bit.”

Any new injuries?

“No. We’re okay.

“We’ve just hot a busy run of games. Three games in six days. That’s the way the fixtures fall.

“There’s a short turnaround and that tests the group and the fitness, but I’m lucky to have a good core group of players that want to play.”

'We've had a slow starting mentality'

Harris: “That’s something that’s blatantly obvious to us. We’ve been behind in too many games.

“QPR was a disaster, as we know. But every other game has been competitive.

“We’ve not won enough games, and when we get back into the league that’s something we’ve got to focus on.

“We’ve had a slow starting mentality. We have to get that first goal mentality and the clean sheet mentality.”

:bluebird: “ READ BELOW ALL NEIL HARRIS UPDATES “ :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL HARRIS:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 am

NEIL HARRIS:

An injury update on Danny Ward and Lee Peltier, Neil Harris says:

“Ward’s got a concussion so he’s unavailable for the weekend. We’ve had to go with the protocol and we understand that. He’s a no. We hope boxes will be ticked and he’s okay for Tuesday but we won’t know until Monday, so we’ll assess then.

“Peltier’s back on the training pitch but the weekend may be too soon.

“Ward’s back in the building and he’s been all week, he just has to do various tests but he can’t take to the field again within seven days.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:27 am

NEIL HARRIS:

'We want to be in the next round'

On the desire to have a Cup run, Harris says:

“We want to win games of football. It’s a wonderful competition when you get to the later stages.

“It’s wonderful for people of an older generation that have the huge memories of giant killings and things.

“The players that played at Carlisle witnessed a real cup atmosphere. That showed to me what it still means to people.

“I’ll pick a team accordingly to honour the competition and get one over on a team that’s a fairly local rival to us. Ultimately we want to be in the next round of the cup.”

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:28 am

NEIL HARRIS:

'Bowen's gone in and got a reaction'

Harris on Reading boss Mark Bowen:

“Mark’s gone in and got a reaction from going in as manager.

“He’ll know the players as well as any manager that’s been in there and know what their strengths are from where they took over.”

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:29 am

NEIL HARRIS:

'We've had a slow starting mentality'

Harris: “That’s something that’s blatantly obvious to us. We’ve been behind in too many games.

“QPR was a disaster, as we know. But every other game has been competitive.

“We’ve not won enough games, and when we get back into the league that’s something we’ve got to focus on.

“We’ve had a slow starting mentality. We have to get that first goal mentality and the clean sheet mentality.”

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:33 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Transfer latest on Vaulks, Etheridge and Day

Several updates from the gaffer here.

On Joe Day’s links with Bristol Rovers:

“No. Joe’s not going to Rovers. What I will say is that we’ve got three senior keepers who are all very good. There’s been a lot of talk around Etheridge leaving and he’s still with us. I would be open to one of them leaving if the right offer came in.

“There’s a lot to take into consideration. There might be a late decision in the window.”

Will Vaulks:

“I saw that [reports]. Nothing with Will.

“I really like working with him. He’s a wonderful character. He wants to play, of course.

“He’s been in and out with me and I think there’s frustration there in to play. I want to keep working with him to improve him all the time. We’re not looking to let him out this window.”

Does Euro 2020 change anything?

“It’s not my concern. Well, it is my concern as I care about my players.

“Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see players under me play away in international championships. You always hope they come back injury free but what an opportunity.

“Vaulks’ thought process is important to me because I care about him. I enjoy working with him every day.”

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:33 am

NEIL HARRIS:

'We will only sign players at value for Cardiff City'”

Asked if it was the case he was being denied players, Harris says:

“The club has spent a lot of money in recent years to bring players in. Money has been spent. The club are now looking at whether they can bring the right player in for the right value.

“The blockage at the moment is not through a lack of will, certainly from me and my staff. It’s more, are the players there?

“We will only sign players at value for Cardiff City. That’s not about the board not wanting to spend money. Why should we overpay? You wouldn’t buy a house at £1m over price. I’m now saying that’s how we work at this club. We don’t overpay for players at the moment.

“It makes it more difficult to sign players in January because it’s a high premium market. The player we wanted got back into a Premier League team and played the last three games, so that’s gone out the window.”

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:56 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Are you confident over incomings?

Harris: “I’ll be majorly disappointed if we don’t add to the group. I’d like to do it on Jan 1 and not when we’re playing Reading on a Friday evening.

“But what will be, will be. There’s not a lot of deals being done in the Championship. There’s not been a lot of movement in general and I think that’s a sign of the market times.

“There will be a merry-go-round of players. Players will leave a club and go somewhere else and that can have a knock-on effect. If that takes the last 72 hours of the window then so be it.”

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:05 am

My View:

Two of those games were v Carlisle near the bottom of League 2 where we conceded 5 goals .

Our defence over all has been appalling and over all the football dire.

Yes other managers have not had much better football, but they got promotions and results and thats what counts.

Dont forget now Neil Harris has repeatedly said he is "happy with our squad, its big,but full of quality"

The results are not relegation results, but not promotion either and as youve said the Championship is poor this season.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:06 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:06 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 am

NEIL HARRIS:

'We've identified players I believe can strengthen us'

A final word from Harris:

“There’s loads of times during the season that are busy. You have it every year.

“Various years you’re set and you don’t want to do business, then something comes along and puts a stumbling block in the way. Injury, illness, a player demanding to leave. That’s football.

“You have to be prepared. We’ve identified players that I believe can strengthen us. I’m clear on that. I’ve identified players I’d like to work with. Whether we can get them is the hard bit.”

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:26 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

NO BIDS AT ALL

Will it be a manic week?

Asked if the next week will be manic, Harris says:

“I think next week will be busy. The first few days after Christmas are always manic, with agents waking up and wanting to do business.

“Then it dies down a little bit because of all the jostling, then the last 72 hours it picks up again. It’s not ideal. If we get the players in that we require on the last day then so be it.”

Any bids for your players?

“No. None at all.”THANKS

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:01 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

'Swapping players becomes quite paramount'

Asked if he is still keen on signing some new faces, Harris says:

“I do understand why fans are concerned. Do I want to get players in? Yes I do. We all see the need to add one or two to the group.

“I certainly see that in attacking positions and in the full-back positions. We need to add to group but I’m really pleased with the group I’ve got. I would love to add to the group. We’d love a couple of really good characters to come in and boost the group.

“I know there’s a lot of work behind the scenes going on and again, I think we were close to one possibly coming in, but that was this morning and it was a player that was sought after from a lot of other clubs as well.

“We’ve been close to players that I thought we were going to get but we haven’t because they’ve got into their teams. Some players I might have liked and hoped we’d get, but there’s not a lot of clubs with money at the moment, so swapping players is becoming quite paramount.

“That has its own complications. I’m not saying we’re involved in that because we’re not. Other teams are and if you’ve got a swappable asset, they’re not going to do a deal with Cardiff City if we’re not swapping someone.

“There’s a little bit of an insight about how a lot of deals are getting done at the moment. We are being patient and I have to remind myself to be patient.

“I’m new to the club and I want to add a mark to the group and add quality to the group. I want to get players in but I can only make my recommendations.”

Re: BREAKING NEIL HARRIS: " UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS "

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:57 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Are you influenced by West Brom in your selection?

Harris: “I think combination is key.

“Some players can play three times in six days. Some can’t.

“Sprinters struggle, but with non-sprinters it’s not quite a high risk. You have to worry about the soft tissue injuries, the muscular injuries.

“They’re the main concerns. We look at Mendez-Laing at Sheffield Wednesday as a prime example. We look at sports science and things like that but we also try to pick the strongest teams to win games.”

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Neil Harris once again talking a good interview, now time to put it in to action :thumbright: :bluebird:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Cardiff City boss Neil Harris says he is expecting a busy final week of the January transfer window, but admits efforts to bring new faces on board are becoming increasingly frustrating.

The Bluebirds take on Reading in the FA Cup on Saturday before facing the Royals again on the final day of the window next Friday.

And while Harris would love a cup run he accepts that most of the attention will continue to surround Cardiff's efforts in this transfer window, with the lack of incomings becoming an increasing worry for fans.

“I do understand why fans are concerned,” he said. “Do I want to get players in? Yes I do. We all see the need to add one or two to the group. I certainly see that in attacking and full-back positions.

“We’d love a couple of really good characters to come in and boost the group.”

A bid for Wigan striker Kieffer Moore is the closest Cardiff have come to a breakthrough in this window, but Harris has since revealed that the wheels are in motion to try and complete a move for someone else ahead of the final week.

“I know there’s a lot of work behind the scenes going on," he said. "I think we were close to one possibly coming in, but that was this morning and it was a player sought after by a lot of other clubs as well.

“We’ve been close to players that I thought we were going to get, but we haven’t because they’ve got into their teams.”

Insisting City will not be held to ransom on any potential deal, he said: "The club has spent a lot of money in recent years to bring players in. The club are now looking at whether they can bring the right player in for the right value.

"The blockage at the moment is not through a lack of will, certainly from me and my staff. It’s more, are the players there? We will only sign players at value for Cardiff City.

"That’s not about the board not wanting to spend money. Why should we overpay? You wouldn’t buy a house at £1m over price. I’m saying that’s how we work at this club. We don’t overpay for players at the moment.

"I think next week will be busy. The first few days after Christmas are always manic, with agents waking up and wanting to do business. Then it goes down a little bit because of all the jostling, then the last 72 hours it picks up again.

"It’s not ideal. If we get the players in that we require on the last day then so be it.”

As well as Moore, Cardiff have been linked with a couple of names from Europe in recent weeks, with Souleman Doumbia and Petar Musa among those mentioned.

But Harris said: "It's not really a market we’re looking at. I keep seeing us linked with players from abroad. Players I’ve never heard of. It’s quite bizarre that we’re linked with so many foreign players. We’ve a newly formed recruitment department that’s fully focused on the British market.”

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:My View:

Two of those games were v Carlisle near the bottom of League 2 where we conceded 5 goals .

Our defence over all has been appalling and over all the football dire.

Yes other managers have not had much better football, but they got promotions and results and thats what counts.

Dont forget now Neil Harris has repeatedly said he is "happy with our squad, its big,but full of quality"

The results are not relegation results, but not promotion either and as youve said the Championship is poor this season.

Tbf though I'd rather him say that. Than our players are shit because warnock wasted money and bought shit kept shit etc. Then at the end of the window be stuck with those players and wreck their confidence and rift between players/ manager etc? So not sure what else he can say really?

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:11 pm

No update at all then really? The guy grates on me personally

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:45 am

BarryWelsh88 wrote:No update at all then really? The guy grates on me personally

Funnily enough Warnock did that to me when interviewed, was never a good talker.c'mon this squad I'm leaving is good enough for top two :roll: :old: :bluebird: