Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City FC make statement regarding Racist Chants

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:45 pm

Cardiff City fans have been accused of racist and/or homophobic chanting during their side's 1-1 FA Cup draw at Reading.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212511

BBC

Warnings relating to the alleged incidents were issued via the public address system at Madejski Stadium.

Reading's supporters group Royals Support said on social media there were "two isolated but wholly unacceptable incidents of discriminatory abuse".

Cardiff City said in a statement they were aware of the allegations.

"We will be speaking with Reading Football Club, Thames Valley Police and South Wales Police (in attendance with our travelling support) to ascertain the facts of the matter," it said.

"We will conduct these conversations with the relevant authorities before making any further comment."

A Football Association spokesperson says they are aware of the allegations and will be investigating.

Cardiff manager Neil Harris said: "We, as a football club, work extremely hard behind the scenes.

"For me, it's not about Cardiff or Reading today, it's about society in general.

"We have to make sure as a society and football industry that that everything is correct. That's all I can say on the matter at the moment."

Re: Cardiff City FC make statement regarding Racist Chants

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:46 pm

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:48 pm

The Sun

VILE ABUSE Reading investigate alleged ‘racist and homophobic chanting’ from Cardiff fans during FA Cup clash

By Ben Hunt

25th January 2020,25th January 2020, 6:44 pm

READING have launched an investigation into two “incidents of discriminatory abuse” during their FA Cup draw with Cardiff.
Midway through the first half, an announcement was made over the public address system at the Madejski Stadium saying “racist and homophobic chanting from the away fans must cease immediately”.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:50 pm

Cardiff Fans Warned Over Racism, Homophobia in FA Cup

New York Timed

By The Associated Press

Jan. 25, 2020,

READING, England — Cardiff fans were warned over alleged racist and homophobic chants in an FA Cup fourth-round game on Saturday.

With the score at 1-1 between Reading and Cardiff in the 26th minute, an announcement was made over the public address system at Reading's Madejski Stadium calling on "away fans" to cease the chants.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:53 pm

It’s in

The Express. Mail, Reading, Mirror, Media Wales etc etc

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:57 pm

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Jus got in like I said I was in r27 did not hear a word think steward/s needs there hearing tested before they jump to conclusions been going away with city for years never once heard a thing racist homophobic coming from our fans

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:06 pm

Cardiff manager Neil Harris said: "We, as a football club, work extremely hard behind the scenes.

"For me, it's not about Cardiff or Reading today, it's about society in general.

"We have to make sure as a society and football industry that that everything is correct. That's all I can say on the matter at the moment."

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:18 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff manager Neil Harris said: "We, as a football club, work extremely hard behind the scenes.

He managed to hear do the ayatollah which was pretty much a small minority shouting it and yet he can’t come out and say he didn’t hear any racist chants. He should have just kept his mouth shut as that looks to me like he believes it.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:19 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212523

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Canton104 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff manager Neil Harris said: "We, as a football club, work extremely hard behind the scenes.

He managed to hear do the ayatollah which was pretty much a small minority shouting it and yet he can’t come out and say he didn’t hear any racist chants. He should have just kept his mouth shut as that looks to me like he believes it.

here lies the big problem with these accusations mate.. people don't want to look as if they are sticking up for racists so are reluctant to say anything that could be seen as that . even the truth..

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Was it not JACK B-------S BEING CHANTED

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:06 pm

Don't understand why the words of alleged chants not yet been released.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:15 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Don't understand why the words of alleged chants not yet been released.

exactly.
they either know exactly what they heard or should never have made the announcement..

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:19 pm

Canton104 wrote:

A manager cannot shut is mouth when asked about such things as that would imply it's TRUE! He says didn't hear it then what hes burying his head in the sand?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:20 pm

dogfound wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Don't understand why the words of alleged chants not yet been released.

exactly.
they either know exactly what they heard or should never have made the announcement..

Its scandalous really

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:26 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Canton104 wrote:

A manager cannot shut is mouth when asked about such things as that would imply it's TRUE! He says didn't hear it then what hes burying his head in the sand?

we as a football club work very hard behind the scenes. .WTF does that mean...
tbh mate i know he is in the firing line , but that makes it sound like we have problems..

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:31 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Canton104 wrote:

tbh mate i know he is in the firing line , but that makes it sound like we have problems..

He was generalising which tbh was not the right response but what is? you hear other managers say roughly same though it's a deflection from club but no need to criticise him every time he says something? (Not you) :laughing6: which is happening all time now

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:39 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Canton104 wrote:

He was generalising which tbh was not the right response but what is? you hear other managers say roughly same though it's a deflection from club but no need to criticise him every time he says something? (Not you) :laughing6: which is happening all time now

no it wasn't the right response Allan . and yes almost everything he says you've heard other managers previously say..thats my biggest gripe with him..
asked about racial and homophobic abuse from our fans ..he comes out with , we are working very hard behind the scenes .. im really not happy with the announcement or his response..

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:42 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Canton104 wrote:

no it wasn't the right response Allan . and yes almost everything he says you've heard other managers previously say..thats my biggest gripe with him..
asked about racial and homophobic abuse from our fans ..he comes out with , we are working very hard behind the scenes .. im really not happy with the announcement or his response..

Tbh I dont care what he says was same for NW very repetitive are managers when it comes to interviews! Only need look at Jose and his to know that..

Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:56 am

Canton104 wrote:

Yes but as reported it was two isolated incidents,well if that's the case,so then he may not have heard it? But get your point,he should have said as much,but probably thought it was the correct thing to say. :old: :bluebird:

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:00 am

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Canton104 wrote:

Yeah it’s weird he said that.

Working hard behind the scenes on what exactly is he suggesting that we have a problem or something.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:27 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Canton104 wrote:

Yes but as reported it was two isolated incidents,well if that's the case,so then he may not have heard it? But get your point,he should have said as much,but probably thought it was the correct thing to say. :old: :bluebird:

it might be the right thing to say if some or all of our fans had actually been chanting racist or homophobic chants..
might be the correct thing if we had a historic problem and the club had been working hard educating our fans to not chant it.
but if that's his idea of saying the correct thing today god help us if our fans actually did something .
anti English = racist and homophobic ffs.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:49 am

If it turns out there was some chanting by a few and its proved Harris said the right thing

To be honest it only needs a few and all of us get targeted at Cardiff and any other team

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:40 am

Just had some feedback from one of the boys detained.

All released without charge.

Nothing racist or homophobic at all involved.

Just ‘Engerland is full of sh1t’ song.

Not my personal choice of tune ( lived there and have loads of English friends) , however certainly not justifying all the fuss.

Won’t hold my breath waiting for an apology, but the lads involved really should be taking advice after being detained until the early hours like they were terrorists !

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 am

Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Canton104 wrote:

Working hard behind the scenes on what exactly is he suggesting that we have a problem or something.

Smack on, he should have said he didn’t hear anything and the club will investigate. Sooner he’s out of my club the better.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:13 pm

valleyrambill wrote:If it turns out there was some chanting by a few and its proved Harris said the right thing

To be honest it only needs a few and all of us get targeted at Cardiff and any other team

go on...how can it turn out he was right..?

EVEN IF these 4 youngsters are guilty ..FOUR people in a single incident... ffs
he was way off...

Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:00 pm

NH is right to say the club is striving to get rid racism at club? Simply because all clubs have racial groups and players go into schools to make kids aware of it so technically he is correct, But it wasn't best explained by him that's for sure... but at moment anything NH says is not right regardless of what he does or doesn't say?

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:02 am

Llan_Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Canton104 wrote:

No it doesn't, it just means we are following protocol regarding chants of this nature,as has been highlighted in the world's press for months,if he said it doesn't exist, and a fan is charged then he and the club look as they do nothing about it? Or lie about it to the media??? This is blatant Harris bashing! He ends the interview with "that's all I can say at this time " which to me looks like a scripted response.I can't fathom what fans are saying he should say? It's a lose lose for him with some posters anyway,all,opinions of course. :old: :bluebird: