Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Replay

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:11 pm

I hope for the Clubs sake that the draw is before the replay and the draw gives the winner a home tie against someone who is going to be attractive so they can do some kind of deal like the Wrexham game back in the day when you got your Luton (yes Luton) ticket as you went through the turn style or I think we could be looking at the lowest ever crowd for a first team game at the CCS.

Re: The Replay

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:24 pm

RV Casual wrote:I hope for the Clubs sake that the draw is before the replay and the draw gives the winner a home tie against someone who is going to be attractive so they can do some kind of deal like the Wrexham game back in the day when you got your Luton (yes Luton) ticket as you went through the turn style or I think we could be looking at the lowest ever crowd for a first team game at the CCS.

And what if 10,000 turned up for the replay and 8000 of them wanted a ticket for Luton?

How would you sort that one out?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:27 pm

RV Casual wrote:I hope for the Clubs sake that the draw is before the replay and the draw gives the winner a home tie against someone who is going to be attractive so they can do some kind of deal like the Wrexham game back in the day when you got your Luton (yes Luton) ticket as you went through the turn style or I think we could be looking at the lowest ever crowd for a first team game at the CCS.

The 5th Round draw takes place this coming Monday (27th) so we will know our potential opponents well before the replay

I'd like us to go all out to get a result no matter who we might be scheduled to play

Cup fever is rarely bad for a club :thumbup:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:41 pm

davids wrote:

And what if 10,000 turned up for the replay and 8000 of them wanted a ticket for Luton?

You have lost me there mate sorry?

I am on about back in 94, when we got Luton in the next round of the Cup and as an incentive to get a ticket for it the Club did a thing when you had to go to the Wrexham game and then bought your Luton ticket as you went through the turn style meaning we got a big crowd for the League Game against Wrexham as well as the Cup game against Luton.

So if us or Reading pull say Liverpool in the next round the Club could do a similar thing whereas they say if you go to the replay and we win you're guaranteed you're ticket for the next round. Otherwise I dread to think how many would be there for any replay.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:02 pm

RV Casual wrote:
davids wrote:

I am on about back in 94, when we got Luton in the next round of the Cup and as an incentive to get a ticket for it the Club did a thing when you had to go to the Wrexham game and then bought your Luton ticket as you went through the turn style meaning we got a big crowd for the League Game against Wrexham as well as the Cup game against Luton.

So if us or Reading pull say Liverpool in the next round the Club could do a similar thing whereas they say if you go to the replay and we win you're guaranteed you're ticket for the next round. Otherwise I dread to think how many would be there for any replay.

Sorry RV - my bad.

I thought you meant that if you went to the replay you'd be entitled to a ticket for the away game at Luton in a few weeks time!

I'll go and have a lie down now. :thumbup:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:09 pm

davids wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
davids wrote:

Sorry RV - my bad.

I thought you meant that if you went to the replay you'd be entitled to a ticket for the away game at Luton in a few weeks time!

I'll go and have a lie down now. :thumbup:

No dramas mate :lol: , have a good night :thumbup:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:19 pm

I remember it well mate, we beat them 5-1. Lost to Luton in the cup, I was 13 and I was gutted for months after, they beat West Ham in the quarters and had Chelsea in the semi. Ha I bet the old bill were happy that we didn’t get to play either of them :lol: :lol:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:51 pm

Trebanog bluebird wrote:I remember it well mate, we beat them 5-1. Lost to Luton in the cup, I was 13 and I was gutted for months after, they beat West Ham in the quarters and had Chelsea in the semi. Ha I bet the old bill were happy that we didn’t get to play either of them :lol: :lol:

Did Garry Bennett get sent off and Darren Adams score or was that a different game, they were good times mate, I was a little bit younger than you but they were good times to be a young football fan even though it wasn't exactly filled with glory for us :lol:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:04 pm

the draw was Luton or Newcastle.
but if i remember it correctly it only half worked, the initial idea was good but Rick Wright pushed the prices up which meant only 10k turned up for the Wrexham game , which was still decent but not what they hoped..

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm

dogfound wrote:

but if i remember it correctly it only half worked, the initial idea was good but Rick Wright pushed the prices up which meant only 10k turned up for the Wrexham game , which was still decent but not what they hoped..

Dear god that Luton game didnt hartson play against us

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:20 pm

dogfound wrote:

That's right! now you say that, I remember we all thought we were going to get Newcastle then Luton went and beat them :lol:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:18 pm

Well we can say with some certainty that the draw will be before the replay.

Three home games in eight days, two against same side and none on Saturday let alone three o'clock will be an attendance test for sure. WBA at home should be the one to boost the gate but I doubt it.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:21 pm

I think our crowds will decline quite steadily over the remainder of the season given we are approaching the nothing to play for scenario

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:31 pm

But obviously only after we draw Liverpool at home in rough 5 and win four league games on the bounce

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:33 pm

Remember that Wrexham game well. Nearly every extra City fan that turned up thought we’d get Newcastle in the next round. They had an awesome side back then, but somehow they lost to Luton. What an anti climax that was to get Luton.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:44 am

RV Casual wrote:
Trebanog bluebird wrote:I remember it well mate, we beat them 5-1. Lost to Luton in the cup, I was 13 and I was gutted for months after, they beat West Ham in the quarters and had Chelsea in the semi. Ha I bet the old bill were happy that we didn’t get to play either of them :lol: :lol:

Did Garry Bennett get sent off and Darren Adams score or was that a different game, they were good times mate, I was a little bit younger than you but they were good times to be a young football fan even though it wasn't exactly filled with glory for us :lol:

Haha your spot on mate, Darren Adams scores a left peg volley, it was brilliant, and bennet got sent off quite early. He used to get terrible abuse from city fans. Brilliant times, poor football, but it was something different back then going to now.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:42 am

RV Casual wrote:

Think they had two sent off. And almost certainly one of them was Bennett. And Rick Wright sold Blake to Sheff Utd the day before the Luton game. A young John Hartson scored for Luton if I remember.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:58 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

Think they had two sent off. And almost certainly one of them was Bennett. And Rick Wright sold Blake to Sheff Utd the day before the Luton game. A young John Hartson scored for Luton if I remember.

Ceri Hughes was offside for their winner, and because he weren’t interfering with play, it got given. I think it was the year the brought that rule in. I know ceri, and he has had terrible abuse up the Rhondda for that game. I hope he still doesn’t, last time I saw him he was driving taxis. Mid to late 90s was great growing up following Cardiff, even though the glamour weren’t really there haha

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:06 pm

Still in the hat ;)