Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CEO Ken Choo:”We can’t continue to spend in the Championship

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:20 pm

My View:

I would love to see the breakdown of the £100mill spent?

Plus not only did Warnock bring in about £200mill in the three years and money will still be coming in over the the next three years due to Warnocks promotion, we also sold players on like Bobby Reid £11mill.

This is wrong surely? Warnock spent more like £60M & recouped half of that in sales.

How much money came in from promotion? The club is way up in the green & not reinvesting. Must think we’ve got small brains & short memories.

Ken Choo Q & A

By Phil Blanche

Cardiff spent nearly £100m on player deals under Warnock in three years , CEO Ken Choo says owner Vincent Tan will not rush into further investment.

Ken Choo: "We can't continue to spend in the Championship. It's not that we are lacking ambition, we have to manage it without blowing our brains."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CEO Ken Choo:”We can’t continue to spend in the Champion

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:29 pm

PHIL BLANCHE:

From Dalman & Ken Choo Q & A

Little bit from Cardiff City Q&A, chairman Mehmet Dalman confirmed club must tighten financial belt.

"We spent a lot of money under Neil Warnock - I'm not complaining about that, he got us promoted. But we have to manage club a little tighter than we have done in the past."

Cardiff spent nearly £100m on player deals under Warnock in three years , CEO Ken Choo says owner Vincent Tan will not rush into further investment.

Ken Choo: "We can't continue to spend in the Championship. It's not that we are lacking ambition, we have to manage it without blowing our brains."

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Im pretty sure hes leaving Choo and Dalman sort out the Sala issue before covering any more investment.
When that happens we will have a new Chairman and Ceo.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 pm

fred keenor wrote:Im pretty sure hes leaving Choo and Dalman sort out the Sala issue before covering any more investment.
When that happens we will have a new Chairman and Ceo.

109% spot on regarding Sala, I was told that from good authority on day one.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:38 pm

Forever Blue wrote:My View:

I would love to see the breakdown of the £100mill spent?

Plus not only did Warnock bring in about £200mill in the three years and money will still be coming in over the the next three years due to Warnocks promotion, we also sold players on like Bobby Reid £11mill.

This is wrong surely? Warnock spent more like £60M & recouped half of that in sales.

How much money came in from promotion? The club is way up in the green & not reinvesting. Must think we’ve got small brains & short memories.

Ken Choo Q & A

By Phil Blanche

We lost 38 million the season we went up mainly due to promotion bonuses,should make a profit last season doubt we will make a profit this season ,most transfer fees are paid in instalments, the next set of account will be interesting reading

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:43 pm

Tan gave up pushing us on after back to blue
Never the same since

I think Dalman and Choo
Still learning. Tan wants stability and a club that runs itself now. Ready to pull out.

Warnock praising Dalman
For giving him the cash to
Get deals through his son.

Now we're skint with a listless squad

........ Again

Perhaps they will learn this time.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:49 pm

eddiep wrote:Tan gave up pushing us on after back to blue
Never the same since

I think Dalman and Choo
Still learning. Tan wants stability and a club that runs itself now. Ready to pull out.

Warnock praising Dalman

........ Again

Why do people keep saying Dalmans still learning he's bern heavily involved in football clubs for over 15 years.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:52 pm

Bluedodo wrote:
Never the same since

I think Dalman and Choo

Warnock praising Dalman

........ Again

Why do people keep saying Dalmans still learning he's bern heavily involved in football clubs for over 15 years.

I didnt realise that...

Fck hes sanctioned some poor spending then.
Id be fuming if i was Tan!!!!

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:56 pm

eddiep wrote:
Bluedodo wrote:
Never the same since

I think Dalman and Choo

Warnock praising Dalman

........ Again

I didnt realise that...

Fck hes sanctioned some poor spending then.
Id be fuming if i was Tan!!!!

Was involved in selling man utd to the glaziers in 2004, was on the board and had shares.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:59 pm

Never the same since

I think Dalman and Choo

Warnock praising Dalman

........ Again

Lee Tomlin has just signed a new deal...he is represented by the agency Neil Warnocks son works for too...
so bit unfair to be implying things and doubt you would enjoy someone going around saying stuff like that about you either...

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:02 pm

If he had a brain they could blow the championship away : Tan don’t even visit the club anymore- : No exposure for Malaysian government - if we had a big club in the FA Cup at home half the Malaysian government would be in the stands : :bluescarf: any serious owners would be in the mix with his players and fans on a regular basis - he as no relation with the fans - all their comments and excuses shound like a scratched record

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:05 pm

mallo wrote:If he had a brain they could blow the championship away : Tan don’t even visit the club anymore- : No exposure for Malaysian government - if we had a big club in the FA Cup at home half the Malaysian government would be in the stands : :bluescarf: any serious owners would be in the mix with his players and fans on a regular basis - he as no relation with the fans - all their comments and excuses shound like a scratched record

we could do with a new owner. could have done with one since back to blue but they don't grow on trees mate..

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:06 pm

dogfound wrote:
Never the same since

I think Dalman and Choo

Warnock praising Dalman

........ Again

Lee Tomlin has just signed a new deal...he is represented by the agency Neil Warnocks son works for too...
so bit unfair to be implying things and doubt you would enjoy someone going around saying stuff like that about you either...

Im just a cardiff fan

Here before tan and warnock,
Will he here after Tan and warnock.

Tomlin. Yep signed by warnock
But not played by him
Hmmmmmm????!!!!!!

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:07 pm

dogfound wrote:
Never the same since

I think Dalman and Choo

Warnock praising Dalman

........ Again

Correct :thumbright:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:08 pm

mallo wrote:If he had a brain they could blow the championship away : Tan don’t even visit the club anymore- : No exposure for Malaysian government - if we had a big club in the FA Cup at home half the Malaysian government would be in the stands : :bluescarf: any serious owners would be in the mix with his players and fans on a regular basis - he as no relation with the fans - all their comments and excuses shound like a scratched record

Exactly Mallo :thumbright: :bluebird:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

we have either been having premiership money or parachute payments for 7 years now and all we hear is paying debts off..
I don't get it mate...
the year we went up we lost 38 million. yet had a squad absolutely nobody fancied to go up. there were no hasselbanks, fowlers or bellamys..it was halford and Bryson... so if we are losing 38 mill with parachute payments how do the likes of leeds and derby manage without them ..?
ive always gone along with this debt thing but this from Choo is crap.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:29 pm

eddiep wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Never the same since

I think Dalman and Choo

Warnock praising Dalman

........ Again

Im just a cardiff fan

Here before tan and warnock,
Will he here after Tan and warnock.

Tomlin. Yep signed by warnock
But not played by him
Hmmmmmm????!!!!!!

hmmm what..?
yes it was a gamble on a player that clearly has talent for what in this day and age was a small fee.. its come off 2 years later..
but are you saying he should have played overweight unfit players ?
or not signed players from certain agencies
or that managers shouldn't gamble because Dave Jones whole team were players that were under performing gambles that he believed he could get more out of.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 pm

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

we have either been having premiership money or parachute payments for 7 years now and all we hear is paying debts off..
I don't get it mate...
the year we went up we lost 38 million. yet had a squad absolutely nobody fancied to go up. there were no hasselbanks, fowlers or bellamys..it was halford and Bryson... so if we are losing 38 mill with parachute payments how do the likes of leeds and derby manage without them ..?

Leeds and derby turnover a hell of alot more money than us ,mind you derby are in shite with FFP and heavily in debt ,I think a lot of clubs I the championship are going to be in shit next year ,Sheffield Wednesday are in trouble

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:37 pm

I said it before. I’ll say it again. Back to blue is all everyone supposedly wanted no matter the cost or league we play in. We’ve now got that we should be happy, we can’t have it every which way.

I for one glad we back in blue it come at a cost but for me worth paying.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:44 pm

wez1927 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I don't get it mate...

Leeds and derby turnover a hell of alot more money than us ,mind you derby are in shite with FFP and heavily in debt ,I think a lot of clubs I the championship are going to be in shit next year ,Sheffield Wednesday are in trouble

leeds 7 year turn over without sky money is bigger than ours ?

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:14 pm

Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton, Birmingham, Derby are all teams who have got themselves into trouble for reckless spending. Villa will be added to that list if they don’t survive this season in the Premier League.

I’m glad that the club is being managed sensibly for once.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:24 pm

dogfound wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I don't get it mate...

leeds 7 year turn over without sky money is bigger than ours ?

Yes they turned over the season we went up 41m without parachute payment s the season we went up we turned over 35 million with parachute payments ,Leeds and derby fans pay more for there tickets than us have bigger crowds and get more sponsorship ,they turn over more

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:25 pm

Tbf tan year in year converts his debt to equity. I am just happy for the club to spend within means. Personally I prefer championship football to the premiership so not bothered at all about promotion. I will celebrate the day we are finally debt free. I think tan will the sell up hopefully to good owners. I hated tan for rebrand but if you take that away he has done incredible things for the club.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:27 pm

boyo1927 wrote:Tbf tan year in year converts his debt to equity. I am just happy for the club to spend within means. Personally I prefer championship football to the premiership so not bothered at all about promotion. I will celebrate the day we are finally debt free. I think tan will the sell up hopefully to good owners. I hated tan for rebrand but if you take that away he has done incredible things for the club.

Well said ,better the devil you know sometimes tho

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:31 am

wez1927 wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:Tbf tan year in year converts his debt to equity. I am just happy for the club to spend within means. Personally I prefer championship football to the premiership so not bothered at all about promotion. I will celebrate the day we are finally debt free. I think tan will the sell up hopefully to good owners. I hated tan for rebrand but if you take that away he has done incredible things for the club.

Well said ,better the devil you know sometimes tho

With you both on this,my biggest fear is when he sells,we may well be stable club,but what kind of new owner we may end up with :shock: :shock: :old: :bluebird:

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:14 am

Totally agree 62 blue. also agree with annis and malo. We've all been there seen it done it.........ATM we are in with a shout of play offs. if it doesnt happen....i want to know WHY????? Hes had the backing of the fans :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:25 am

ATM men we are at best a mediocre championship club,Tan needs to invest. BIG STYLE. Niel Harris has done a great job. But needs the backing of the board. he done a great job at the Wall too, HE NEEDS BAKING :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:18 am

Agree with everything they say about spending because we dont want to spend a huge chunk of money on players that dont suit the club, we want to spend it wisely.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:00 am

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I don't get it mate...

Debts which the current regime have made themselves and for me the original debt should of been cleared at least after 5yrs, it’s now 10 yrs and that’s all we ever hear we all clearing our debts.

Yet we have received 100’s of £millions, then people say they are running the club well, they are the ones creating the debts, the famous so called committee.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:36 am

Agree

We missed a massive
Opportunity.
(we all want a sustainable club, diesnt evey fan of every club? )

We have had 7 years of jack
Prem league which
Has had a big impact on
The dynamic of support in
South wales.
Whilst weve gone up and down
Like a milkmans handbrake!!!!