Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Most Exciting Signing

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:42 pm

Regardless of how they turned out, who were you most excited about when they signed?

I'd say Fowler. I knew that if he ever got fit he would score a hat full of goals in the championship.

If only

Re: Most Exciting Signing

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:16 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Regardless of how they turned out, who were you most excited about when they signed?

I'd say Fowler. I knew that if he ever got fit he would score a hat full of goals in the championship.

If only

Bellamy

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:17 pm

Bellamy, Fowler, hasselbaink

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Regardless of how they turned out, who were you most excited about when they signed?

If only

fowler by a mile... it didn't turn out great..
but for 25 years we had been a nothing club. and suddenly we were signing proper players..i thought :lol:
Bellamy 2nd but by then we had been to an FA cup final were at a new ground getting 20k crowds and were already serious promotion contenders

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:30 pm

Fowler and hasselbank were surprising, but I knew they were both fat and past it. Bellamy for me.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:38 pm

Fowler and Bellers at the time big names to join , but Chops was a player i wanted us to sign and we did :thumbup:

Pity we did not get Jordan Rhodes 6 - 8 years ago ;)

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:50 pm

Bellamy without a doubt for me. I can understand Fowler and Hasselbaink but both of those were coming to the end of their careers whilst Bellamy was in the prime of his.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:16 am

Bellamy both times had come into us having been a first team player at top PL sides.

I genuinely can’t see how that can ever be topped unless we’re talking silly business

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:36 am

Rickie Lambert if I’m honest. Every reason to believe he was still a premier league goal scorer who couldn’t get into a Liverpool attack. So the fact he came to us in the championship, ontop of fairly positive vibes with Trollope in charge and the promise of attacking 3-5-2 formation football with wing backs, it really excited me. What actually happened in the games was a different story though.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:49 am

Bellamy first time around, there was huge rumours about it, no one had a clue if they were true
Chopra, when we signed him from Sunderland,
Earnshaw the second time around, because i remember being very young when we sold him to WBA and it broke my heart, i remember Sam Hammam promising the club didnt need to sell, and then a few days later we had sold him for £3.5m, so when he came back, i was landed

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:50 am

Bellamy first time round. Didn’t think we had a hope in hell of signing someone like him who was still pretty young at the time/not over the hill.

Don’t understand why people say Fowler given we signed Hasselbank the same year and he also was a miles better player than Fowler ever was.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:12 am

I don't know about exciting but best signing has to be when we picked up two for one Dave & Gary Bennett from
Manchester City in 81. What a good transfer window that was for us?

:occasion5:

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:55 am

Gerry Francis

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Brian Clark by a mile. RIP Brian.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:27 pm

Alan Warboys :old:

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:32 pm

Bellamy first time easily.

Although I remember (oddly) being excited when Rhys Weston signed, if my memory is correct he was one of the first big signings under Hammam come from Arsenal to little Cardiff in Division 3, shame he wasn't very good :lol:

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:03 pm

Nice thread mate, Bellamy probably for me and Chopra, Hasselbaink aswell not so much Fowler for me though as I never liked him although he was obviously a top striker in his time

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:45 pm

Gabalfa1963 wrote:Gerry Francis

In the same vein Bryan Flynn and Mick Martin :roll:

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Bellamy was fantastic news when he first signed

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Bellamy.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:36 pm

Bellamy by a mile. Then Koumas and Kevin Ratcliffe.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:55 pm

Koumas first time around. That game against Leeds at home was incredible

Bellamy obvioulsy a close second.

Signing Fowler was mental, even if that didnt turn out well

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:05 pm

Ramsey when he came back on loan from Arsenal for recovery from his horrific leg break, also Ricky Lambert even though he never really got going

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:11 pm

This is showing my age ..... Mike England , Welsh captain brilliant centre half. I thought he would end up as our player manager, so did Jimmy Andrews ;) thats why he was only with us a season .

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:35 pm

I would also go with when we signed Morrison, Pilkington, Le Fondre and Dikgacoi in the same window.

Obviously not massive names but I was excited as they all did very well at their previous clubs. It felt like Ole was making a statement, signing some good names from rival clubs rather than players that were unknown or on the fringe of their clubs and I honestly thought we would do really well that year due to these signings.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:55 pm

Jimmykingz wrote:Koumas first time around. That game against Leeds at home was incredible

Bellamy obvioulsy a close second.

Signing Fowler was mental, even if that didnt turn out well

Totally agree, koumas first time round, getting Ramsey back was good too

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:56 pm

nojac wrote:This is showing my age ..... Mike England , Welsh captain brilliant centre half. I thought he would end up as our player manager, so did Jimmy Andrews ;) thats why he was only with us a season .

And exactly the same reason we didn't sign Toshack.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:40 pm

Thewifestheboss wrote:Brian Clark by a mile. RIP Brian.

Seconded :bluescarf: :occasion5:

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:31 pm

Bellamy, Chopra coming back and Ramsey coming on loan. I still think if Ramsey had stayed until the end of that loan season we would have gone up.

Going back to my very early days I remember us signing Alan Campbell from Brum and Doug Livermore. Both had serious top flight experience and got us back into to the old Div 2 as a result. That was the season we played the leaders Hereford at home in front of 35000+ and both of them scored as we won 2-0, absolutely mental evening !!