Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

It’s weird how Cardiff have never had any real sort of rival

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:04 am

It’s weird how Cardiff have never had any real sort of rivalry with Reading, but over the course of two games in close succession and a third tonight, a lot of spite has built up, on and off the pitch. How quickly they became the best of enemies

Re: It’s weird how Cardiff have never had any real sort of r

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:33 am

Forever Blue wrote:It’s weird how Cardiff have never had any real sort of rivalry with Reading, but over the course of two games in close succession and a third tonight, a lot of spite has built up, on and off the pitch. How quickly they became the best of enemies

They’ve made a rod for their own backs mate

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:41 am

Could be the start of one

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:00 am

Bluebird1990 wrote:Could be the start of one

Could?

Already has IMHO.

Something will happen tonight for sure.

Just pray we win the game though.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:17 am

Forever Blue wrote:It’s weird how Cardiff have never had any real sort of rivalry with Reading, but over the course of two games in close succession and a third tonight, a lot of spite has built up, on and off the pitch. How quickly they became the best of enemies

I know we play them all the time now. but its a 21st century thing. we only played them in the league 6 or 7 times prior to 2000 and not at all between the 1930s and mid 80s.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:08 am

Its has been a one sided rivalry for a while. My son has a mate who is a Reading fan and even before all this kicked off he told me they regard us as one of their rivals. Me and my son found this strange as neither of us have ever given them a thought!

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:34 am

Yeah I mean they don’t really have any true rivals. Their main one was Aldershot but they haven’t played for something like 30 years. Then the only other teams close are Oxford and Swindon but they hate each other much more than caring about Reading.

It’s a bit of a nothing place football wise.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:51 am

Bluebird1990 wrote:Could be the start of one

not really.. just a nothing club that nobody gives 2 hoots about that happens to be an easy to get to away game..
well at least I hope that's how people see it.. id hate us to be considered big rivals of Reading , what next Fulham ?

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:06 pm

JJ1927 wrote:

Its has been a one sided rivalry for a while. My son has a mate who is a Reading fan and even before all this kicked off he told me they regard us as one of their rivals. Me and my son found this strange as neither of us have ever given them a thought!

funny you should mention this, as my mate studied in london at uni, and he was in like a house share situation, and there were QPR fans living there, and they all said that they consider Cardiff as a rival, they did say it started after "that" play off game, but i never really saw QPR as a rival

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:43 pm

They gave us the legend that was Robin Friday & Andy Legg : ;)

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:45 pm

They always seem a bit of an irrelevant club to me, don't ally think anything of them.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:10 pm

There are teams that seem to be sort of irrelevant ( prob not to their fans ). Reading FC is one I consider in this group. MK Done another. Just something I can't put my finger on. As if they of no consequence

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:There are teams that seem to be sort of irrelevant ( prob not to their fans ). Reading FC is one I consider in this group. MK Done another. Just something I can't put my finger on. As if they of no consequence

That has to be the ultimate put down. Being put in the same category as MK Dons.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Chelsea are more likely to be our rivals than Reading or QPR.. historically off the field anyway.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:06 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Chelsea are more likely to be our rivals than Reading or QPR.. historically off the field anyway.

Without a doubt :thumbright:

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:36 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:There are teams that seem to be sort of irrelevant ( prob not to their fans ). Reading FC is one I consider in this group. MK Done another. Just something I can't put my finger on. As if they of no consequence

Chuck in Watford aswell mate