Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Revealed: The plan behind surprise Wolves transfer deal

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:07 am

Revealed: The plan behind surprise Wolves transfer deal

Birmingham live

Tuesday 4th February 2020

Dion Sanderson's loan move to Cardiff City on transfer deadline day caught a few by surprise - even the Wolves defender himself.

Not because the Wolverhampton Wanderers cub isn’t talented - far from it - and a move to a club in the Championship shows just how highly-rated he is.

While several of his teammates in Wolves’ under-23 side have set foot on the senior ladder in Leagues Two and One, Sanderson has been given a bigger opportunity by Bluebirds boss Neil Harris.

NEIL HARRIS:

"I wanted to bring in some youthfulness and some energy and we’ve managed to do that with Dion," said Harris.

"I’ve said that we need cover in the full-back area, and Dion gives us that. He wants to work and train hard, and I’m looking forward to working with him."

Sanderson will be the No2 to Jazz Richards.

Sanderson will initially begin life as Harris’ back-up right-back to Jazz Richards and how much game-time he is exposed to in South Wales will largely depend on his training ground performance.

“It’s difficult to say for certain but the general feeling is that he’ll be covering for Jazz,” says WalesOnline’s Tom Coleman. “The full-back position has come under greater scrutiny with Lee Peltier going.

“Neil Harris prefers a more attacking style of full-back and that’s possibly why Peltier went. He wants a full-back that isn’t afraid to get forward and play in a more expansive style of football.

“It will be interesting to see how many games he will get.”

Sanderson made his senior debut in Wolves' Carabao Cup defeat to Aston Villa in October
The move also caught Sanderson by surprise. The 20-year-old only learned of Cardiff’s interest on deadline day as Harris sought cover after agreeing to let Peltier join West Bromwich Albion.

He will be living a short drive away from Cardiff’s training ground and if all goes well his pathway at Wolves could be accelerated.

James Collins:

Speaking the day before Sanderson joined Cardiff, under-23s coach James Collins said: “Dion’s an interesting one because I came in having been impressed with him from what I’d seen before.

“Then we had an early game against Leicester and nobody did themselves justice and I didn’t think he was at it that night. He surprised me because I knew he had a great character.

“He’s shown me since that he has. The last two games he’s been really at the top of his game. He’s got plenty still to work on; he’s got to improve technically.

“He’s a good size, he can run, he can head it, he can pass, so he’s got a lot going for him.

“But the step up is big. Dion has often gone down and trained with the first team and I’m sure he’s done well. But to take that final step is big. The players have got to learn that they’ve got to keep improving and keep getting better, and it’s got to be every day.

“If not, they may need another step, a loan, which I think would suit Dion. Dion will be suited to playing league football and that might help him to take that little step in between.”

The powers that be at Molineux, including boss Nuno Espirito Santo, will now be watching Sanderson with intrigue to see if can indeed take that next step towards forging a career with his hometown club.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Revealed: The plan behind surprise Wolves transfer deal

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 am

I get that Coxe is seen as in need of improvement but why bring in a youngster who’s a little unproven and blocks the way for our youth players. Sometimes being thrown in at the deep end is the best way to learn

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:52 am

I think they must have brought this guy in because they use they don't regard Coxe as being good enough and based on his performances for us for far they are probably right. Worth pointing out that Sanderson has only played one game for Wolves in a league cup match so is a bit of an unknown quantity at first team level himself. Add to that his preferred position is centre half I assume he must look really good in training.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:02 pm

Tuggi wrote:I get that Coxe is seen as in need of improvement but why bring in a youngster who’s a little unproven and blocks the way for our youth players. Sometimes being thrown in at the deep end is the best way to learn

I want us to win games and pick our best team.. don't care who they are or where they come from..if they happen to be local its a bonus.. proper don't get the obsession with giving everyone a go .

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:15 pm

i really dont understand NH love of Jazz, he is always injured and if he does play, i dont know if its the fear of picking up another injury or if he just isn't good enough but i struggle to see what NH see's in him

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:31 pm

Tuggi wrote:I get that Coxe is seen as in need of improvement but why bring in a youngster who’s a little unproven and blocks the way for our youth players. Sometimes being thrown in at the deep end is the best way to learn

People seem to rate Coxe on the back of a daft article about Man City wanting him? I haven't seen anything to suggest he is up to championship level.

This loan also odd but maybe Harris thinks he has something and maybe able to get him next season if good enough, not sure.

To me it made more sense to just keep Peltier until the end of the season.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:59 pm

bluebird04 wrote:i really dont understand NH love of Jazz, he is always injured and if he does play, i dont know if its the fear of picking up another injury or if he just isn't good enough but i struggle to see what NH see's in him
he was awesome for us before i think it was the season we went up before his injury but hasn't had a good run in since :thumbup:

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:29 pm

I will give it half a dozen or so games where we realise we are too open down the flanks getting torn apart and we are crying out for Peltier to be there to lock the wing up.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:01 pm

Not obsessing Dogfound, just seems this guy has come here to make his mark maybe, but we already had a relatively unknown player at this level in Coxe. I’m not over rating Coxe, I think he needs to massively step up, but maybe with 5 games on the trot he would get comfortable at this level.

It’ll be interesting to see how this new fella features for NH.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:34 pm

In summery: we've brought in a young promising player but let go of an experienced first team pro. With only the biggest sick note in our history stopping the youngster getting thrown into the deep end.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:59 pm

nubbsy wrote:In summery: we've brought in a young promising player but let go of an experienced first team pro. With only the biggest sick note in our history stopping the youngster getting thrown into the deep end.

That's it :thumbup: Terrible

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:16 pm

Tuggi wrote:Not obsessing Dogfound, just seems this guy has come here to make his mark maybe, but we already had a relatively unknown player at this level in Coxe. I’m not over rating Coxe, I think he needs to massively step up, but maybe with 5 games on the trot he would get comfortable at this level.

It’ll be interesting to see how this new fella features for NH.

maybe he comes here and doesn't even play.. but as for Coxe . id love him to be good enough but there are obviously doubts and the chances he has had he looked out of his depth if honest..

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:20 pm

Don’t want to slag the lad off,but don’t really see the point in this signing,Harris states he wanted to bring youthfulness into the squad,well what are our own under 23 squad for?

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:22 pm

caerblue wrote:Don’t want to slag the lad off,but don’t really see the point in this signing,Harris states he wanted to bring youthfulness into the squad,well what are our own under 23 squad for?

I 100% agree and this lad leaves us in May and we can’t sign him.

We may as well have played our own youngsters out, if needed.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:23 pm

tylorstown18891 wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:i really dont understand NH love of Jazz, he is always injured and if he does play, i dont know if its the fear of picking up another injury or if he just isn't good enough but i struggle to see what NH see's in him
he was awesome for us before i think it was the season we went up before his injury but hasn't had a good run in since :thumbup:

he didn't play much in the promotion year was 4 or 5 games.. the previous year I think he played about half the games at left back..which included all the trollope games..
I don't get the Harris / Jazz love in either.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:52 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
caerblue wrote:Don’t want to slag the lad off,but don’t really see the point in this signing,Harris states he wanted to bring youthfulness into the squad,well what are our own under 23 squad for?

What is it saying to our own youth players?,not really giving them any confidence and any hope
For their future prospects of breaking into the first team,with the bad transfer window and the words coming out from within the club,I ve got a bad feeling that something ain’t right at the club

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Harris clearly sees him as better than whats here possibly not good enough to be top half prem but good enough for us..

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:55 pm

caerblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

What is it saying to our own youth players?,not really giving them any confidence and any hope
For their future prospects of breaking into the first team,with the bad transfer window and the words coming out from within the club,I ve got a bad feeling that something ain’t right at the club

It shows Harris once again talking a load of bullshit saying that he would be putting our youngsters in.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Everything NH says contradicts previous statements. There is no consistent message coming through.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:59 pm

Foghorn65 wrote:Everything NH says contradicts previous statements. There is no consistent message coming through.

That’s my point he constantly does this.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Clarity and a sense of direction are two qualities NH has not shown yet unfortunately. Both are essential towards galvanising and inspiring the squad and everyone else

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
caerblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

It shows Harris once again talking a load of bullshit saying that he would be putting our youngsters in.

yes he was , he was saying what he thinks we want to hear without thinking about how he was going to follow it through.... as for the academy. it was going through a big transition during the period he arrived.. but is clearly not brimming with talent because its not only our managers not bringing them in but other clubs are not taking them or loaning them off us.. if we had boys in there that were up to it but being overlooked other clubs would be pinching them..

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:10 pm

dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
caerblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

yes he was , he was saying what he thinks we want to hear without thinking about how he was going to follow it through.... as for the academy. it was going through a big transition during the period he arrived.. but is clearly not brimming with talent because its not only our managers not bringing them in but other clubs are not taking them or loaning them off us.. if we had boys in there that were up to it but being overlooked other clubs would be pinching them..

I thought we had a big transition two years ago, then 2yrs before that and 4yrs before that :lol:
It’s madness

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:13 pm

Transition...strewth what a catch all excuse for directionless failure

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:18 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
caerblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I thought we had a big transition two years ago, then 2yrs before that and 4yrs before that :lol:
It’s madness

yes its what you do when its not working so it seems.
personally id scrap it and just run the under 23s from players we pick up that were released by top 6 clubs..
even if we had a Ramsey or Ledley theyd be gone by the time they were 16 and we would get peanuts in compo..

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:36 pm

dogfound wrote:

Harris clearly sees him as better than whats here possibly not good enough to be top half prem but good enough for us..

As every other manager we ve had over the past few years seem to think,no one in our under 23 are good enough,just seems a bizarre signing,and even more bizarre the words of Harris of bringing youthfulness into the squad,clearly money is tight but bringing in this signiing shows in just three years how far apart these two clubs have gone

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:39 pm

Seems he was frantically calling round for any loan signings to show we had ventured into the Jan window. Perhaps Wolves said we got a decent prospect and want to test him out. Here you go try him for rest of the season.

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:30 pm

caerblue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

As every other manager we ve had over the past few years seem to think,no one in our under 23 are good enough,just seems a bizarre signing,and even more bizarre the words of Harris of bringing youthfulness into the squad,clearly money is tight but bringing in this signiing shows in just three years how far apart these two clubs have gone

yes but the fact ours are not up to it doesn't mean there are not decent youngsters elsewhere..
the whole idea of academies is you spend at the bottom to save at the top.. but very few clubs produce on a regular basis. and its been a complete and utter waste of 9 years worth of cash for ourselves..

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:45 pm

dogfound wrote:
caerblue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

yes but the fact ours are not up to it doesn't mean there are not decent youngsters elsewhere..
the whole idea of academies is you spend at the bottom to save at the top.. but very few clubs produce on a regular basis. and its been a complete and utter waste of 9 years worth of cash for ourselves..

The academy system is a complete farce and a waste for nearly every club,outside the top 6,The Matondo situation Is the perfect example

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:13 pm

Bluebina wrote:
nubbsy wrote:In summery: we've brought in a young promising player but let go of an experienced first team pro. With only the biggest sick note in our history stopping the youngster getting thrown into the deep end.

That's it :thumbup: Terrible

;)