Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Harris Out to save next season

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:26 am

Right, Harris has had enough matches in charge and a transfer window to give me some hope. He hasn’t. Our Managers haven’t got to be the best in the business, but they have to win us over, Burrows, May, Jones. He hasn’t and I believe he won’t. 3 games against Reading. Not one win. In fact 2 points dropped and out of the FA cup.

Season now officially over, he complains inherited side is ageing then signs a 32 yr old striker. Gets rid of pelts who I think should have and would have stayed if Harris had wanted him, who probably has been a consistent player for us and must be good enough as got us to and played in the prem. look for all of you regular posters you will have strong views which is fine, but being a city fan you tend to get gut feelings about things.

I won’t go on about previous managers like burrows n may n Jones who turned out to be legends for us ( even when we were getting stuffed 6-0 ish in port vale we still backed em ). no It is because, Over the recent years we have had Ole, Slade & Trollope and apart from the comedy value of ole, the other two were dreadful. Everyone felt it when they were appointed, everyone deep down thought they were dreadful, and the boring dross they served up didn’t let us down. I have had the same feeling with Harris. Just can’t take to him. 1st topic post as felt I had to vent my despair at seeing us plod on through the season, prob be 2 points off play offs, just missing out, another poor summer transfer window, another poor start to next season, a couple of QPR 6-1’s and me and my sons start counting the seagulls during games, and as ST holders you feel obliged to go and you never know when a stray frisky Mallard might pop in to the bowl. Um where was I, ah, Then the realisation that he’s not up to it and we start again mid season too late to challenge promotion and it goes on and one until we identify the manager we want, get him. If it costs more, let’s do without 1 less player.

I can’t go through another season of dross. hope the guy proves me wrong, I really do but I can see me even remembering him in a couple of years. Yes I know his record is ok, give him a chance brigade will be out in force, but it’s just my gut feeling. Sorry cup run was his last chance to win me/us over.

Re: Harris Out to save next season

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:19 am

use paragraphs mate

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:57 am

I share your frustration. I felt more content as a City fan back in the bad old days in the lower divisions. We didn't expect so much back then. Maybe it's the fact we have been 'spoilt' by having a couple of promotions to the Premier league in recent years and a couple of cup final appearances prior to that, that makes this type of season feel even more frustrating. However, this is the Cardiff City 'rollercoaster' club we follow. Hopefully good times are not too far away!

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:26 am

I don't blame Harris because its clear that Tan sees the £80 million parachute payments as a chance to get some of his money back. He has brought in a manager who will be willing to cut costs and keep us a mid table team over the next two seasons. If we shop at Home Bargains, and sell a couple of players the club can make a profit of £40 million over the next two years which can be used to repay part of the loan to him.

Unless Tan is willing to use the parachute money to strengthen the side we might as well stick with Harris even though I never wanted him as manager.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:23 am

Take your point over Tan, but we have got a great stadium and two seasons in the prem with him so not gonna criticise him too much. More Dalman and Choo to be honest. Just the feeling of the next couple of years being wasted, when we could still keep up interest in the club fir next season. Who knows how many we’ll get next year gate wise. Ignoring post about paragraphs as it’s petty in the context of my post. More concerned on how you feel about the current Harris situation and my claim that it’s gonna waste a couple of years. Don’t mind if you disagree just wanna know what you think.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:30 am

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:I share your frustration. I felt more content as a City fan back in the bad old days in the lower divisions. We didn't expect so much back then. Maybe it's the fact we have been 'spoilt' by having a couple of promotions to the Premier league in recent years and a couple of cup final appearances prior to that, that makes this type of season feel even more frustrating. However, this is the Cardiff City 'rollercoaster' club we follow. Hopefully good times are not too far away!

It’s the fact that we were spoilt with promotion that makes it more frustrating. We went up as a bonus, wasn’t planned or budgeted for really, went up, did ok, came back down. The club must’ve made a fortune last year and was in a great place to attract a good manager with a tidy sum to invest in the squad. Instead Tan’s decided to go cheap and probably bank the money made by promotion. I know Tans spent a fortune and had his fingers burnt before with Malky, and god knows where we’d be without him, but this was a great opportunity to go for it properly.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Id like to see him replaced personally but I think it will take a slow start to next season for him to get the sack. Wouldn't surprise me to see Warnock back to keep us up again. I can see a Trollope type start to next season.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Can someone enlighten me as to what money tan has taken from the club. Time and again posters are saying tan is using parachute payments etc. I am pretty sure he has not taken a penny out of the club.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:14 pm

Was thinking about that Port Vale game today.. think it was 6-1 tho. One of their lads jumped in with us, big fekker with Port Vale tattooed on his neck. He didn’t last long tho, as T knocked him out cold. Plod carried him out.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:39 pm

bluecityblue wrote:
MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:I share your frustration. I felt more content as a City fan back in the bad old days in the lower divisions. We didn't expect so much back then. Maybe it's the fact we have been 'spoilt' by having a couple of promotions to the Premier league in recent years and a couple of cup final appearances prior to that, that makes this type of season feel even more frustrating. However, this is the Cardiff City 'rollercoaster' club we follow. Hopefully good times are not too far away!

It’s the fact that we were spoilt with promotion that makes it more frustrating. We went up as a bonus, wasn’t planned or budgeted for really, went up, did ok, came back down. The club must’ve made a fortune last year and was in a great place to attract a good manager with a tidy sum to invest in the squad. Instead Tan’s decided to go cheap and probably bank the money made by promotion. I know Tans spent a fortune and had his fingers burnt before with Malky, and god knows where we’d be without him, but this was a great opportunity to go for it properly.

tbh mate that's what I thought would happen.. have a free hit at the prem and if relegated give it a proper go next time..
I knew gunner was off and the loan signings would leave and honestly expected 15 to 20 mill spent on replacements.. losing manga, zohore and reid on top and then only spending 15 mill is a joke.. well a joke for serious contenders.. and tbh fed up to my teeth of reading how the money was wasted when it just wasn't enough...

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:45 pm

wtf wrote:Can someone enlighten me as to what money tan has taken from the club. Time and again posters are saying tan is using parachute payments etc. I am pretty sure he has not taken a penny out of the club.

VT hasn't taken a penny out of the club and indeed has put in many millions and even wrote off £68M not so long ago. It seems some posters keep having a go as it suits their agenda.

Cardiff City has never had a better owner than VT :bluebird:

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Use paragraphs mate!!! Really go sit with the literacy society! This is what's wrong. We all want "OUR club" (sorry to use capitals') but as we are one! That's approrieiate, in my view, Stop going for the higher ground mate! either you are with us or you're not. Your choice. I did not graduate at english literature or langauge so I appologise for any gramatical errors in advance of the backlash from you know who. CCFC is dying of bordem and it needs to change. Over and out waiting for the backlash Brettski. PS I'm dyslexsic! you knob!!!

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:28 pm

dogfound wrote:
bluecityblue wrote:

tbh mate that's what I thought would happen.. have a free hit at the prem and if relegated give it a proper go next time..
I knew gunner was off and the loan signings would leave and honestly expected 15 to 20 mill spent on replacements.. losing manga, zohore and reid on top and then only spending 15 mill is a joke.. well a joke for serious contenders.. and tbh fed up to my teeth of reading how the money was wasted when it just wasn't enough...

Funnily enough had a similar conversation this morning, we must have brought in about £22 million from the sale of Zohore, Manga and Reid, plus the wages on top of them all plus saving the wages of Gunnar, Victor and Harry and I'm not sure what of that we gave out but it probably wasn't even half?

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:11 pm

RV Casual wrote:
dogfound wrote:
bluecityblue wrote:

Funnily enough had a similar conversation this morning, we must have brought in about £22 million from the sale of Zohore, Manga and Reid, plus the wages on top of them all plus saving the wages of Gunnar, Victor and Harry and I'm not sure what of that we gave out but it probably wasn't even half?

my take on it is last years team would have been favs for promotion and would have given it a damn good go..
last years team minus who we lost no.. manga gone and sol long term replaced with flint and . nelson.. no they are not as good. Manga alone was worth that if he had another year on his contract... gunnar victor and harry..gone..Vaulks and Pack brought in for 3 mill ? is that really what we lost ..etc etc..
expectations were sky high and i didn't get it then and don't now either mate..
and people keep talking about the teams prem experience and warnocked out.. its a different team

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:43 pm

The expectations were only, 'sky-high,' because Warnock and the ruling elite said we were going, 'to do a Burnley,' and get promotion again this season. However I wouldn't really have thought doing what Burnley did was shooting for the sky. They just had a go at getting back to where they had been the previous season and were successful. Contrast this to Cardiff City doing, 'a Burnley,' and the words spoken were nowhere near bourne out in reality. In fact the attempt was not even bourne out in planning.

StT.
<><
Last edited by Steve the Tea TM (c) on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:45 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:The expectations were only, 'sky-high,' because Warnock and the ruling elite said we were going, 'to do a Burnley,' and get promotion again this season. However I wouldn't really have thought doing what Burnley did was shooting for the sky. They just had a go at getting back to where they had been the previous season and were successful. Contrast this to Cardiff City doing, 'a Burnley,' and the words spoken were nowhere near bourne out in reality. In fact not even bourne out in planning.

StT.
<><

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:04 am

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:The expectations were only, 'sky-high,' because Warnock and the ruling elite said we were going, 'to do a Burnley,' and get promotion again this season. However I wouldn't really have thought doing what Burnley did was shooting for the sky. They just had a go at getting back to where they had been the previous season and were successful. Contrast this to Cardiff City doing, 'a Burnley,' and the words spoken were nowhere near bourne out in reality. In fact the attempt was not even bourne out in planning.

StT.
<><

i think following the Burnley model was mentioned
as was the best squad he had , prior to losing Manga and Reid.
but we can all think for ourselves too.. and aiming at winning promotion at the first attempt is shooting for the sky hardly achieves it . bigger clubs than us have tried and failed for many years.. what exactly do you want them saying..we are aiming for 14th ?

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:47 am

Charlie Harper wrote:
wtf wrote:Can someone enlighten me as to what money tan has taken from the club. Time and again posters are saying tan is using parachute payments etc. I am pretty sure he has not taken a penny out of the club.

VT hasn't taken a penny out of the club and indeed has put in many millions and even wrote off £68M not so long ago. It seems some posters keep having a go as it suits their agenda.

Cardiff City has never had a better owner than VT :bluebird:

:thumbup: Spot on

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:07 am

RV Casual wrote:
dogfound wrote:
bluecityblue wrote:

we certainly cut our cloth accordingly after relegation. i reckon although wages are still high, probably not in the top 5/6 of the league and will be cut again next season im sure.

Bogle, Madine, pelts all gone recently, bamba likely to go in the summer. and no doubt a few more. i think generally our wage bill should be in decent order.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:18 am

i don't personally see him lasting until christmas. i think where ever we finish this season, he has to be seen to be beating it next season, to show we have improved under him, i dont think we will. i can see it being a long season next year. but it could be a chance to keep him here now, on the cheap, he can cut the squad costs. to save the club big money, and then with the money saved, get a decent manager in next december/january after hes sacked

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Not many people wanted Harris as manager. But the club's higherarcy decided on Harris. It stands out that the board do not have a clue about football. Get rid of Choo or Dolman and replace with a director of football. Someone who knows something about the game.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:46 pm

Thewifestheboss wrote:Not many people wanted Harris as manager. But the club's higherarcy decided on Harris. It stands out that the board do not have a clue about football. Get rid of Choo or Dolman and replace with a director of football. Someone who knows something about the game.

its not their faults . the budget and direction come from the top..
and if it hadn't been Harris it would have been someone out of work whose previous was at smaller clubs. cheap.and equally as unpopular with those that thought we would be upgrading..

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:43 pm

Mr birchgrove one of the funniest posts I've ever read "spoilt".Cardiff red first season a disaster.second season bottom under Warnocks hoof .no being spoilt mate is seeing your club have over 50 years in the top division and lift a trophy which so many clubs have achieved.we haven't come remotely near it.