Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why is Gunter always a knob when he plays against us

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:21 am

Every time I have seen him play against us always looks like he is ‘bitter’.
Always moaning at ref, having a dig at our players, just general ‘persona’ of ‘ you outed me I am pee’d off’
Not one of my favourite ex players

Re: Why is Gunter always a knob when he plays against us

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 am

Bonner wrote:Every time I have seen him play against us always looks like he is ‘bitter’.
Always moaning at ref, having a dig at our players, just general ‘persona’ of ‘ you outed me I am pee’d off’

You’ve hit the nail on the head and answered your own question :thumbright:

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 am

Bonner wrote:Every time I have seen him play against us always looks like he is ‘bitter’.

It isn’t just against us. It’s his game, it’s the type of player he is.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:15 pm

I've never understood Gunter's apparent dislike to us since leaving. We brought him up through our academy, gave him his opportunity in the first team and sold him on to Tottenham. He should have fond memories of our club, as we developed him into the footballer he became. It's a strange one.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:16 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I've never understood Gunter's apparent dislike to us since leaving. We brought him up through our academy, gave him his opportunity in the first team and sold him on to Tottenham. He should have fond memories of our club, as we developed him into the footballer he became. It's a strange one.

He doesn’t dislike Cardiff...

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:30 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I've never understood Gunter's apparent dislike to us since leaving. We brought him up through our academy, gave him his opportunity in the first team and sold him on to Tottenham. He should have fond memories of our club, as we developed him into the footballer he became. It's a strange one.

He doesn’t dislike Cardiff...

I said his apparent dislike, as in the way he behaves every time he plays against us. I know you've commented that he always behaves like that, as that's the way he plays the game. I'm not sure about that though, I've never seen him behave like that when he played for us or for Wales, I've only ever seen Gunter behave like that when he plays against us. Gunter's behaviour and antics always surprises me, you would think he would either just keep his head down and play, or even show a bit of respect to our club with a little clap to our fans etc. I will never understand it.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:39 pm

It isn’t just against us. It’s his game, it’s the type of player he is.

This

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm

It's the way he plays. Just watch the way he plays for Wales. Dont take it personal. Wish he'd never left City and played out his career with us. He'd of been a city legend

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Doesn't Gunter attend some Cardiff away games?

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:32 pm

what you mean we outed him...he went to Spurs for 2mill

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:40 pm

AHERNE wrote:It's the way he plays. Just watch the way he plays for Wales. Dont take it personal. Wish he'd never left City and played out his career with us. He'd of been a city legend

agree, and its exactly how I want our players to be when playing against their home town or previous clubs.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Ballistic Blue wrote:Doesn't Gunter attend some Cardiff away games?

Yes he does. Goes in with fans when we’re away. He always behaves too :thumbup:

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:14 pm

He does not like Cardiff he is a city fan He was actually forced out by Ridsdale as the transfer paid for Ridsdales bonus that year
He was actually in tears when he left Cardiff but felt he had no option at the time
I was told this by someone very close to him

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:27 pm

Missed a trick not bringing him in at the start of the season for free when reading’s foreign manager wanted rid

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:41 pm

Always rated him ....he’s a competitor and he gives to anyone he plays against ....not just city..

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:23 pm

Gunter is my type of player, I would have loved us to have signed him but most on here scoffed at that in the summer.

He is the consummate proffesional, gives his all for Club and Country and is a decent player, plus whatever anybody says on here he is Bluebird through and through.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:02 pm

RV Casual wrote:Gunter is my type of player, I would have loved us to have signed him but most on here scoffed at that in the summer.

He is the consummate proffesional, gives his all for Club and Country and is a decent player, plus whatever anybody says on here he is Bluebird through and through.

I believe it almost happened but we opted for Bacuna instead.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:17 pm

RV Casual wrote:Gunter is my type of player, I would have loved us to have signed him but most on here scoffed at that in the summer.

I believe it almost happened but we opted for Bacuna instead.

its a shame.. not that I dislike Bacuna but I would have liked Gunter here..

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:05 pm

I'm surprised at that.

His behaviour towards the Cardiff fans in the Ninian stand during a game a few seasons ago playing for Forest was worse than I have seen from the likes of Tate, Monk, Trundle, etc. He directly celebrated a goal for Forest fist pumping towards the City fans on his own, you certainly wouldn't have guessed he was a Cardiff fan.

I've always thought that his behaviour that day was strange, given that he was likely to playing at the same ground in front of the same supporters for Wales shortly after.

Shame, because up until then I always rated him and would have welcomed him back but I'm not sure that anyone in the Ninian Stand that day would have him down as a "Cardiff boy".

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:24 pm

piledriver64 wrote:

I'm surprised at that.

His behaviour towards the Cardiff fans in the Ninian stand during a game a few seasons ago playing for Forest was worse than I have seen from the likes of Tate, Monk, Trundle, etc. He directly celebrated a goal for Forest fist pumping towards the City fans on his own, you certainly wouldn't have guessed he was a Cardiff fan.

I've always thought that his behaviour that day was strange, given that he was likely to playing at the same ground in front of the same supporters for Wales shortly after.

Shame, because up until then I always rated him and would have welcomed him back but I'm not sure that anyone in the Ninian Stand that day would have him down as a "Cardiff boy".

He used to watch us home and away, he used to go on the supporters club coaches. He is a Cardiff fan, however, you also have to remember he's only human.

I don't think he ever asked to leave but for some reason some of our fans who didn't know his history turned on him and gave his dogs abuse, he gave some back with interest, to be honest, I don't blame him, was probably a mixture of hurt and emotion on the day and it got the better of him.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:30 pm

RV Casual wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

I'm surprised at that.

Gunter and his brother Marc has always been Cardiff supporters, he was our youngest Welsh International when first capped and is now the most capped Welsh International. We had 4m from Spurs for Gunter and he has had two 2m+ transfers to Forest and Reading. He has played almost 500 league games mostly in the Championship (25 in Premier) and some on here reckon Super Kev who we never had a decent offer for was a better Player!

He used to watch us home and away, he used to go on the supporters club coaches. He is a Cardiff fan, however, you also have to remember he's only human.

I don't think he ever asked to leave but for some reason some of our fans who didn't know his history turned on him and gave his dogs abuse, he gave some back with interest, to be honest, I don't blame him, was probably a mixture of hurt and emotion on the day and it got the better of him.