Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Celtic wanted to loan Murphy with optician to buy

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:25 pm

CELTIC WANTED MURPHY ON LOAN WITH AN OPTION TO BUY HIM AT £11MILL

Wednesday 5th February 2020

The Bluebirds were broached about the wide man being taken on loan with an option to buy, however they rebuffed the approach of the Scottish giants

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris has insisted Josh Murphy has a big role to play this season after the club rejected a January transfer bid from Celtic for the winger.

According to the BBC, the Scottish giants approached the Welsh capital club over signing the wide man on loan, with a view to making the transfer permanent.

However, the Bluebirds rebuffed Celtic's approach, despite Murphy having an inconsistent season, with the club backing him to come good in the final months of the campaign.

He showed the Murphy of old in the FA Cup defeat by Reading on Tuesday night, scoring twice and troubling the Royals' defence all evening. In many ways, it was the performance City fans have been waiting for all season.

And Harris hopes Murphy can make those sorts of performances a regular feature as the campaign wears on.

"He divides opinion within the fan base," he told the BBC. "I get that all the time when I'm stopped in coffee shops or supermarkets.

"He divides opinion. That is ultimately what he is as a wide player.

"When he's hot, like he was against Reading, he's unplayable.

"And when he's not and when it doesn't quite come off for him, you can question how much he's done on the pitch. But that is the sort of player he is."

It is fair to say Cardiff have not seen the best of him regularly since his £11m move from Norwich City ahead of last year's Premier League campaign.

He has shown flashes of positivity, but they have been too few and far between.

But the 24-year-old adds that pace and trickery which has been so lacking this season from the Bluebirds' wide men this term and Harris desperately wants his talents to come to the fore as the push for a top-six spot reaches crunch point.

"We have to find a way of getting more out of him because he has got superb potential," Harris added.

"Then he's got a big part to play under me. You've got to put confidence and belief in players and you've got to ask for patience.

"It's not been an easy period for the club and, when you're asking for patience in individual players, you're asking a lot because they [the fans] just want to see their team have a right go.

"Murph is a slightly different player to a Joe Ralls or a Will Vaulks or even Callum Paterson, who play with their hearts on their sleeves and would run through a brick wall.

"Josh is different, he's a technical player, and we have to appreciate his different attributes in the team.

"I'm really pleased for him."

Re: Celtic wanted to loan Murphy with optician to buy

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:27 pm

If they had offered the money first then we would of probably sold him.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:If they had offered the money first then we would of probably sold him.

Agree and I wouldn't of complained ,I really hope he gets his mojo back as he is a great player when on fire

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 pm

As he's a footballer (supposedly) I suppose the only optician in for him would be Boots.....

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:52 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:As he's a footballer (supposedly) I suppose the only optician in for him would be Boots.....

Boom Boom!! :laughing5: :old: :bluebird:

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:05 pm

Celtic couldn't loan him as he is our player. They could borrow or buy, but they don't need him with refs and SFA on their side.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:08 pm

BC-CB wrote:Celtic couldn't loan him as he is our player. They could borrow or buy, but they don't need him with refs and SFA on their side.

borrow is loan

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:19 pm

probably would have been a great move for him.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:20 pm

Ones across as a player who needs to start a game and not from the bench

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:51 pm

He'd have torn it up in Scotland. Then our fans would be saying 'why did we let him go?!'

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:56 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:He'd have torn it up in Scotland. Then our fans would be saying 'why did we let him go?!'

Never a truer word, fella! ;) :clap:

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:56 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:If they had offered the money first then we would of probably sold him.

Agree and I wouldn't of complained ,I really hope he gets his mojo back as he is a great player when on fire

Has he ever had his mojo? Even when he first came he only ever played the good good half here and there. Been a massive flop.

Celtic would have been about his level and he'd probably have shon up there.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:01 pm

nubbsy wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Has he ever had his mojo? Even when he first came he only ever played the good good half here and there. Been a massive flop.

He scored some great goals where he shows what hes about ,just wish he showed more

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:03 pm

As a starting point he needs to grow a pair.
As for getting his MoJo back I’ve seen every game he’s played for us and yet to see him put a shift in.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:08 pm

wez1927 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

He scored some great goals where he shows what hes about ,just wish he showed more

A few good goals does not warrant 11m. His all round play is mostly useless. Few moments of magic here and there but few and far between.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 pm

He needs to stay and he just needs to keep playing and starting.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:38 am

wez1927 wrote:

Have to say,I have called him out on here,as he does look did interested, but credit where it's due,he had his best game for an age!I even joked he might have read the board before the game :lol: :old: :bluebird:

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:44 am

Llan_Blue wrote:He needs to stay and he just needs to keep playing and starting.

He needs to show he's worth starting then! And to be fair,yes he would tear up the Scottish prem, but in real terms so could most players imho.he needs to perform to the level of the last game(cup) in the league,make himself a fixture in the team. :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:27 am

Why Oh Why didn't we leave him go. He is pathetic. Scored 2 against Reading reserves. That is about his level.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:37 am

With an "optician" who was that then - was it Stewart Greenberg , I bet Murphy never saw that move coming off .... :lol:

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:44 am

nubbsy wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Probably right, it's a big club at a low standard some players thrive on that!

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:42 am

BC-CB wrote:Celtic couldn't loan him as he is our player. They could borrow or buy, but they don't need him with refs and SFA on their side.

You are mistaking loan for lend I believe

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:11 am

the big question should be, whats he like in the dressing room/behind the scenes on games he doesnt play. if hes a bad influence, so many ex footballers have said, one bad apple can really cause problems. personally, maybe leaving on loan would of been best for both parties, chance for him to play some lesser teams, get his confidence back up and go again fresh in the summer

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:59 pm

Which optician was interested in him...specsavers?

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Bambasbestbuddy22 wrote:Which optician was interested in him...specsavers?

I think moonboots nailed it mate..
footballer...boots