Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Dion Sanderson '

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:18 pm

Dion Sanderson. What a manic deadline-day experience for the 20-year-old and an opportunity which seemingly would not have arisen had Peltier been offered fresh terms.

Friday 7th March 2020

The Wolves youngster has been handed Peltier's old number, No.2, at Cardiff City, which some fans think could point to him having a more prominent role than was originally thought.

Whether that's over-reading into the situation or not remains to be seen.

But there is no doubt that Sanderson's signing has been greeted positively by swathes of Bluebirds supporters and the young defender has revealed how much of a scramble it was for him on Friday and just how late on he heard of City's interest.

Dion Sanderson:

"Originally I was trying to find a loan, trying to find a team and around 5.30pm I got a call saying: 'We might have found you a team for you in the Championship,'" he told the club's website.

"So I rushed into Wolves and I was waiting around and then I found out it was Cardiff.

"After I signed it I rushed down here, it was all mayhem because Cardiff had the game (against Reading) as well.

"So in the end, it got signed and I was just delighted to be here. I was delighted when I found out it was a Championship team, especially Cardiff, it's a big club.

"I'm happy things have gone the way they have."

Those in the know at Wolves were somewhat surprised when one of their academy products sealed a loan move to a Championship club, stating their youngsters often find experience in League One or League Two.

Sanderson appears equally surprised that a club pushing for promotion to the Premier League came in for him.

But there is no suggestion he will not be able to handle the magnitude of the task at hand.

While it was initially thought he would be signed only as back-up to the incumbent Jazz Richards, some are calling for him to be afforded an opportunity as soon as this weekend.

So, in his own words, just what sort of defender is he?

Dion Sanderson:

"I play across the back — centre-back, right-back — wherever the gaffer wants me to play, I'll play there," he added.

"I do like playing right back, I like attacking and getting forward, getting involved in the game.

"But I like defending, that's my job, that's what I get paid for. Defending is a big part of my game.

"Attacking, there's a few parts of my game I need to work on still. But I can play there, it's a position I can play."

During his fledgling career, Sanderson has played mainly at centre back for Wolves' youth teams.

But that's not where Harris sees the defender's place in the side moving forward.

If there was one criticism supporters had of Peltier it was that he was too defensive-minded and they urged the club to recruit a more attacking replacement.

While Sanderson has largely operated at centre-back, in a back three, Harris believes he has seen enough of the player already to know he will be an asset in attack.

"At Wolves, he's played right-side centre-half in a back three and he has played right wing-back," the manager said.

"So, we are looking at right back as right in the middle of those two positions.

"He's comfortable anywhere along there. He's athletic, energetic and comfortable on the ball.

"When you play wing back at Wolves, we know you have to be good on the ball. When you play the right side of three centre-halves you have to defend.

"So, I've made him sound like he's going to be the best player in the world! But I'm not putting too much pressure on him.

"But he fits into the mould we want of young, hungry, athletic full backs to get up and down the pitch and add some creativity from that position."

With Richards' form having been a little inconsistent of late, Harris might even take a punt and place his faith in Sanderson this weekend, with a Saturday afternoon trip to basement boys Luton Town lying in wait.

Re: ' Dion Sanderson '

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:51 am

Good interview to be fair,sees us as a big club,eager and hungry for game time,although it could block one of our own,wolves do play nice football,so he will be schooled in that style,let's hope he shines!! Welcome to the mad house Dion. :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Re: ' Dion Sanderson '

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:38 am

I really hope we give this lad a chance to show what he can do.

He's young, keen and well regarded at his parent club so stick him in the team and let's see what he can do. Not much point in signing the lad and then leaving him on the bench.

Jazz Richards' strengths and weaknesses are well known and to be frank his performances over the last few weeks have hardly justified his being first choice so give the lad a go and let's see what he can do.