Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea Academy 2020-2021

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:45 pm

So the rumours weren't true, regardless of Club rivalries it has to be good for the Welsh team structure as well as for the Club.
Club Chairman Birch
"It’s against the tough financial backdrop highlighted above that we have harsh and difficult decisions to make for the future.

One such consideration is the continuing operation of our two current training facilities - the first team and under 23s at Fairwood, on land which is leased from Swansea University, and the academy at Landore, on land which is owned by the club.

Both are top Premier League standard facilities and as such are extremely expensive to operate; particularly when we have duplication of services at each venue such as ground staff, pitch maintenance, kitchen facilities, utilities, business rates, etc.

The decision we make on our academy category status, currently Category One, more or less depends on how we decide to move forward in relation to the training grounds. For example, it would be difficult physically and logistically, if not impossible, to maintain Category One status if we consolidated all our operations to just one training venue.

To give you an idea of the costs involved in operating Category One status you are looking at around £3m net per year. So, it’s little wonder that there are only seven other Championship clubs operating a Category One academy.

However, I am pleased to announce that with the full support of the owners we have made the decision to continue to operate the two training sites to maintain our Academy Category One status for season 2020-21.

This will then give us a breathing space to explore further options prior to the start of the 2021-22 season.

At the end of the day, I believe an ‘Academy’ is more aligned to a philosophy rather than buildings or facilities. So, rest assured, whatever category status the Academy takes in the future, we remain committed to developing youth and providing the necessary pathway to the first team under a head coach willing to give youngsters their opportunity."

Re: Swansea Academy 2020-2021

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:39 pm

its good news for you that's for sure..
but ALL the rumours came out of Swansea..

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Great news now piss off over planet swamp and celebrate there.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:07 pm

dogfound wrote:its good news for you that's for sure..

Yes it is , but as I say good for the national side as well , if your lot got their act together then maybe qualifying for major touraments wouldn't be as rare as hens teeth . Not sure about ALL of the rumours starting with my lot though, I've read some really interesting posts on here by those who claimed to be in the know :)

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:26 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:

Yes it is , but as I say good for the national side as well , if your lot got their act together then maybe qualifying for major touraments wouldn't be as rare as hens teeth . Not sure about ALL of the rumours starting with my lot though, I've read some really interesting posts on here by those who claimed to be in the know :)

You supply the players and we supply the fans, that's how it usually works to be fair.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Wrong board mate. Off you trot there's a good child :sleepy2:

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:11 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:

You supply the players and we supply the fans, that's how it usually works to be fair.

:laughing5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :notworthy: :old: :bluebird:

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:

the only person that claimed to be ITK about your academy on here was your cousin/brother/uncle/dad AKA Roath. most people just repeated what was out there..

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:37 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:

Sorry I didn't realise that when purchasing a ticket you had to state what Club you followed . You live and learn I suppose

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:05 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:

Lets see this long list of Swansea players produced by the academy that are world class that have helped Wales.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:16 pm

Bluedodo wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:

Lets see this long list of Swansea players produced by the academy that are world class that have helped Wales.

I'd be more than happy to ,if thats what I said :?

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:27 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:

Sorry I didn't realise that when purchasing a ticket you had to state what Club you followed . You live and learn I suppose

well done.. blck magic is teaching you well.. always side step and avoid honesty at all costs as it only ever has one outcome.. and its not the one that Swansea come out looking good.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:05 pm

dogfound wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:

well done.. blck magic is teaching you well.. always side step and avoid honesty at all costs as it only ever has one outcome.. and its not the one that Swansea come out looking good.

" black magic", "side step" & "honesty". Sorry but you'll have to break that down into something which makes sense . :?

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:43 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:
dogfound wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:

" black magic", "side step" & "honesty". Sorry but you'll have to break that down into something which makes sense . :?

exactly..

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06 pm

Where did I claim to be ITK? Are you being silly again dogfound?

I said it was common sense, and predicted it last year and this year. Both times I said at the end of this season it is likely we will scale back the academy. It clearly was very much on the cards this year.

We have one more year of parachute payments after next season. Should we not go up by then, then it’s almost certain we will scale it back.

Not good news or bad news really, just indifferent news. On one hand it’s going to cost us more, we aren’t really in a position to pay transfer/compo fees to poach other clubs talent so it’s just an extra year for our current players I suppose. But not a great deal would change for them if we did drop to cat2/3.

Academies are long term plans, having them for 12 months isn’t really a huge bonus. The bonus here is that it appears the finances are certainly improving.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:46 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:
Bluedodo wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:

I'd be more than happy to ,if thats what I said :?

Look at your post above you insinuate by "your lot get their act together"

Is that not saying your club has?

Again I'll wait for the list of world class products to come out of your academy.... As a level shall we say Ramsey??

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:47 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:

Another myth perpetuated on here. Most of the fans Wales have are from North and mid Wales. The rest is shared pretty equally. It’s just that Cardiff fans tend to want to make international days still about clubs hence they scribble the club on every scarf and parchment they have. Some of the most dedicated welsh fans in existence are jacks that don’t miss a game home or away. :thumbright:

But yes, Swansea as a club seem to have contributed more to the National team in the last decade than any other by some distance.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:52 pm

BlackMagic wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:

Another myth perpetuated on here. Most of the fans Wales have are from North and mid Wales. The rest is shared pretty equally. It’s just that Cardiff fans tend to want to make international days still about clubs hence they scribble the club on every scarf and parchment they have. Some of the most dedicated welsh fans in existence are jacks that don’t miss a game home or away. :thumbright:

But yes, Swansea as a club seem to have contributed more to the National team in the last decade than any other by some distance.

Proof of the claim you just made up.

30k at Cardiff city stadium ladt qualifying match and you believe the majority of fans there were North and Mid Wales.

Making things up Roathie.

Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:04 am

Bluedodo wrote:Proof of the claim you just made up.

30k at Cardiff city stadium ladt qualifying match and you believe the majority of fans there were North and Mid Wales.

Prove it isn’t the case if you don’t believe it, my comment was a rebuttal not a claim. The initial claim was that Cardiff provide the fans - is like to see some proof of that.

I don’t think the rebuttal is outlandish or shocking at all. North and Mid Wales is known to have the strongest following of the National side. There may be more Cardiff fans when games are played in Cardiff, just like there would be more Swansea fans at the games played in Swansea - but overall following is pretty split in South Wales with North and Mid Wales making up a large portion.

I know that from experience, I can only assume you haven’t been to many Wales games outside of Cardiff if you dispute that.

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:07 am

BlackMagic wrote:

Prove it isn’t the case if you don’t believe it, my comment was a rebuttal not a claim. The initial claim was that Cardiff provide the fans - is like to see some proof of that.

I don’t think the rebuttal is outlandish or shocking at all. North and Mid Wales is known to have the strongest following of the National side. There may be more Cardiff fans when games are played in Cardiff, just like there would be more Swansea fans at the games played in Swansea - but overall following is pretty split in South Wales with North and Mid Wales making up a large portion.

I know that from experience, I can only assume you haven’t been to many Wales games outside of Cardiff if you dispute that.

Been abroad with Wales on 5 occasions again abd atebd every hone game going back 25 years, you made an ill thought out assumption agsin.

I didnt claim Cardiff make the majority of the fans numbers but you made the daft mid wales/North wales claim without any backing.

Leave it at that.

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:21 am

i think regardless of the news about the swansea academy, i think we have to alot more to do ourselves. we need to be going out further into the communities etc. the amount of times i hear, "cardiff got no none around here, so my boy is playing with swansea" is shocking

Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:21 pm

Bluedodo wrote:
BlackMagic wrote:

Been abroad with Wales on 5 occasions again abd atebd every hone game going back 25 years, you made an ill thought out assumption agsin.

I didnt claim Cardiff make the majority of the fans numbers but you made the daft mid wales/North wales claim without any backing.

Leave it at that.

You can leave what you want chap.

I absolutely stand by it because it’s true. If you don’t think the majority are Cardiff fans, and you don’t think the majority are North and Mid Welsh - then who are you suggesting have the majority? :roll:

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:50 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
Fusilier52 wrote:

One ticket is enough for the Swansea contingent..

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:55 pm

rumpo kid wrote:
One ticket is enough for the Swansea contingent..

Rumps is furious again it seems :laughing6:

Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:56 pm

BlackMagic wrote:
Bluedodo wrote:
BlackMagic wrote:

Leave it at that.

You can leave what you want chap.

I absolutely stand by it because it’s true. If you don’t think the majority are Cardiff fans, and you don’t think the majority are North and Mid Welsh - then who are you suggesting have the majority? :roll:

South Wales provides the majority.... Not Mid Wales not North.

Goodnight fruitcake.

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:04 pm

Bluedodo wrote:

Goodnight fruitcake.

That wasn’t the discussion. We are grouping.

“Swansea” - “Cardiff” - “North/Mid Wales”.

The discussion you entered was that Cardiff provided the most of the fans (a silly jibe towards Swansea). I correctly said North and Mid Wales do.

If you want to split between North and South alone then yes maybe, close though. But that isn’t and wasn’t the discussion you entered, that’s a whole new discussion.

Cheers. :thumbright:

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:56 pm

BlackMagic wrote:
Bluedodo wrote:

Goodnight fruitcake.

The discussion you entered was that Cardiff provided the most of the fans (a silly jibe towards Swansea). I correctly said North and Mid Wales do.

If you want to split between North and South alone then yes maybe, close though. But that isn’t and wasn’t the discussion you entered, that’s a whole new discussion.

and you started off on this thread being so sensible..
you cant help yourself can you.. the games are now in Cardiff because...{ A } better crowds. { B } to spite north wales.
as for your lot.. its got better but there its still lower numbers than it should be..too many years of standing behind the Union JACK.. which is where the word comes from..

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:48 am

dogfound wrote:and you started off on this thread being so sensible..
you cant help yourself can you.. the games are now in Cardiff because...{ A } better crowds. { B } to spite north wales.
as for your lot.. its got better but there its still lower numbers than it should be..too many years of standing behind the Union JACK.. which is where the word comes from..

I am sensible throughout, it’s just your level of comprehension dips at times which often causes you to not see perfect sense.

Games are not on Cardiff because of better crowds and it is not to spite North Wales. I can’t even fathom your thinking at times, without sounding harsh it is often beyond stupid.

Games are in Cardiff because the Millennium Stadium is too big and our ground isn’t quite big enough. Your capacity hits the sweet spot. It also has better transport links for both home and away fans - but you don’t like truthful answers do you, fantasy is always far more fun for you.

As for your last paragraph, do you have the numbers there? Thanks. :thumbright:

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:08 am

BlackMagic wrote:
Bluedodo wrote:

Goodnight fruitcake.

The conversation i joined was you claiming North and Mid Wales provided the majority at Wales games.

I asked you to prove your claim you couldn't.... You then twisted it and asked me to provide evidence for somebody else's claim.

You grouped it into regions of Wakes by your ridiculous North and Mid Wales claim so i responded using same thinking.

You make daft claims like above and when you cant actually prove your point you try in your weird way to twist the point (i.e. Asking me to prove your claim is wrong) it's your awkward need to win a discussion by any means that does it.

Even now you say you correctly claimed North/Mid provide most fans and we are what 5 posts on from me asking you to prove it.

You wont because you can't.

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:29 am

Bluedodo wrote:
The conversation i joined was you claiming North and Mid Wales provided the majority at Wales games.

I asked you to prove your claim you couldn't.... You then twisted it and asked me to provide evidence for somebody else's claim.

You grouped it into regions of Wakes by your ridiculous North and Mid Wales claim so i responded using same thinking.

You make daft claims like above and when you cant actually prove your point you try in your weird way to twist the point (i.e. Asking me to prove your claim is wrong) it's your awkward need to win a discussion by any means that does it.

Even now you say you correctly claimed North/Mid provide most fans and we are what 5 posts on from me asking you to prove it.

You wont because you can't.

No, you joined a discussion about regional support. We were discussing Swansea, Cardiff and North/Mid Wales. You then took those comments and pitted North/Mid Wales vs everybody else which again is another example of someone joining a conversation and applying their own context to comments that already have context.

You said South Wales provides the majority. Show me where you got that info from and no doubt the same source will also back up exactly what I am telling you. Thanks :thumbup:

Or won't you because you can't? :?