Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" NEW UNDER 23s COACHING SET UP CONFIRMED "

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:02 pm

Cardiff City Football Club is pleased to announce Steve Morison in the role of Lead U23s Coach.

Monday 10th February 2020

A UEFA Pro Licensed Coach, Steve enjoyed time at Northampton Town and Millwall’s academies following the completion of an 18-year professional playing career. He earned 20 caps for the Welsh national team during that time.

Tom Ramasut has taken the role of U23s Coach having been part of the Academy’s coaching setup for the past seven years. He and Steve will begin with immediate effect.

Cardiff City FC Executive Director & CEO Ken Choo said: “Following a thorough and robust recruitment process, I’m delighted to announce Steve as the club’s Lead U23s Coach and wish him and Tom the very best in their new roles.

“Having assessed a number of excellent applications, we deemed Steve as being the stand-out candidate for this critical lead position. His experience in the game, coaching knowledge and communication skills will be invaluable to our Academy setup and its talented U23 group.

“I’d like to welcome Steve to our club and look forward to working with him and Tom as we seek to pave a clear and attainable pathway for young players towards first team football. I’d also like to take this opportunity to place on record my thanks to all those who showed interest in the position and Cardiff City Football Club.”

Re: " NEW UNDER 23s COACHING SET UP CONFIRMED "

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 pm

What does our board know about assessing people with football knowledge. Harris's mate from Millwall. Hope he brings talent through into the first team. If he is fit (not even fully) he could play centre forward for us.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 pm

Thorough and robust recruitment process...hahaaaaa hahaaaaa similar to the appointment of NH. Quality Ken. keep em comin'

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Whopppppp whopppppppp negatively alert Whopppppppp Whopppppppp.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:09 pm

I love this appointment.

Steve Morrison is an absolute professional who will be a great role model to the kids.

He's worked his way through the leagues up to International level and always works hard. I heard him on 5 live football show once and the way he spoke was very impressive. He was actually talking about giving advice to youngsters in that show aswell. Proper football man.

Welcome to CCFC Stve :thumbup: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:10 pm

Let’s hope he does better than Leggy! Bellamy for me was the guy to head up our Academy but he didn’t get on with Warnock as he wasn’t interested in developing young players he just loved wasting Tan’s money on journeymen!

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:11 pm

The club doesn’t half come out with some crap at times “thorough and robust recruitment process” ?????

Harris said it would probably be him 3 months ago!!!!

But hopefully, he can actually improve things in the academy set up, because at last we do seem to have 3/4 players who could possibly push for a first team place in the not to distant future

Welcome Steve and good luck in your new role

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:27 pm

cs_original wrote:I love this appointment.

Steve Morrison is an absolute professional who will be a great role model to the kids.

He's worked his way through the leagues up to International level and always works hard. I heard him on 5 live football show once and the way he spoke was very impressive. He was actually talking about giving advice to youngsters in that show aswell. Proper football man.

Stop this positivity now

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm

NIBluebird wrote:

Stop this positivity now

Don't worry, Bazza Welsh will be here in a second with a glass-half-smashed comment.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Welcome Steve
Good luck

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:17 pm

I think it’s good news. We are obviously looking to maintain our style of the past few years but at least it will be a consistent approach at academy level as well.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:20 pm

I agree, he was a cracking player that gave 100% effort and is no fool, if he can get that across to the players, he could be a great asset, plus an extra set or eyes and ears for Harris and another good sounding board. This looks like a good appointment :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:20 pm

Can't see how this can be seen as anything other than a positive move, especially in terms of bringing players up through the 23's and into the First Team.

SM is obviously someone NH knows well, has worked with him in the past and trusts him, you need to have that relationship between the two if we are going to get anywhere.

I'm not sure what sort of relationship Leggy and Warnock had if I'm honest, as much as I loved Leggy as a player and admire him for what he's overcome in his personal life I was told that he was more interested in being out on the Golf Course towards the end and again, as much as I appreciate the things that Warnock gave us with him it does look like it was an 'in the moment' outlook which at his age, and what he wanted to achieve I can understand, but in the long term future of the Club is not really how we should be looking to operate.

With all that in mind, I think this is a positive step in the right direction, welcome to the Club Steve, good luck :bluescarf:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:21 pm

BarryWelsh88 wrote:I think it’s good news. We are obviously looking to maintain our style of the past few years but at least it will be a consistent approach at academy level as well.

:clap: :thumbup: Great post Baza :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Millwall link or not...if he has the ear of the leader and the nouse to develop and introduce our youngsters to the 1st team,bring it on

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:44 pm

BarryWelsh88 wrote:I think it’s good news. We are obviously looking to maintain our style of the past few years but at least it will be a consistent approach at academy level as well.

I'm pleased with this appointment of consummate professional Steve Morrison and it does seem there will be a theme to our playing style. So long as it provides more young players pushing for a starting place, I think we should all be happy

A little disappointed at the overall contribution since our Cat 1 Academy days and teaming up with the highly rated Tom Ramasut should be a good thing for club and young players :clap:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:59 pm

Welcome aboard mate vast majority of Cardiff fans backing you good luck :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:04 pm

Welcome to Cardiff Steve and good luck :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Welcome to the club steve ,always a great professional and will have experience to pass on to the kids

Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:47 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:The club doesn’t half come out with some crap at times “thorough and robust recruitment process” ?????

But hopefully, he can actually improve things in the academy set up, because at last we do seem to have 3/4 players who could possibly push for a first team place in the not to distant future

Wonder who else went through this “thorough and robust” process before they gave the gig to the managers mate?

Whatever, best of luck to him now he’s a bluebird :bluebird:

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Probably the tea lady.
Anyway good luck you will probably need some.

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:41 pm

Top drawer appointment this :thumbup:

Welcome :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:51 am

Danny Says wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:The club doesn’t half come out with some crap at times “thorough and robust recruitment process” ?????

Wonder who else went through this “thorough and robust” process before they gave the gig to the managers mate?

Whatever, best of luck to him now he’s a bluebird :bluebird:

Given his Millwall links, it seems quite clear it was a Neil Harris recommendation

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:43 am

RV Casual wrote:Can't see how this can be seen as anything other than a positive move, especially in terms of bringing players up through the 23's and into the First Team.

SM is obviously someone NH knows well, has worked with him in the past and trusts him, you need to have that relationship between the two if we are going to get anywhere.

I'm not sure what sort of relationship Leggy and Warnock had if I'm honest, as much as I loved Leggy as a player and admire him for what he's overcome in his personal life I was told that he was more interested in being out on the Golf Course towards the end and again, as much as I appreciate the things that Warnock gave us with him it does look like it was an 'in the moment' outlook which at his age, and what he wanted to achieve I can understand, but in the long term future of the Club is not really how we should be looking to operate.

With all that in mind, I think this is a positive step in the right direction, welcome to the Club Steve, good luck :bluescarf:

good point about the relationship between the first team manager and the under 23 manager.. being on the same wavelength can only be good..
I have no idea how good/bad Legg was but I did chat with him twice at games last season { not first team } and both times he was accompanied by NW and were good humoured with each other..
the golf thing ? don't be surprised if the new guy gets this chucked at him as well. the job comes with quite a lot of free time due to when the under 23s train and play..