Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ NEIL HARRIS / LEE TOMLIN ‘

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 am

Ecstatic Neil Harris hails 'inspirational' Cardiff City star as he identifies leaders in pack after Huddersfield hammering

The Bluebirds boss was full of praise for the forward, whom he believes is one of several leaders in his team

Thursday 13th February 2020

Neil Harris says his own experiences as player are helping to get the best out of "inspirational" Lee Tomlin, hailing the forward as one several leading voices in his Cardiff City dressing room.

The superlatives to describe Tomlin's contribution to this Cardiff side are rapidly running out, but he was once again sensational as Cardiff earned a commanding 3-0 win over Huddersfield Town at the John Smith's Stadium.

The win keeps the Bluebirds firmly in the mix for a top-six finish this season, and stretches their unbeaten run to six league games ahead of Saturday's clash with Wigan.

And having previously failed to deliver on his obvious potential, Harris appears to have found a winning formula in getting the best out of the 31-year-old.

Harris himself was something of goalscorer during his playing days, and says his own experiences have helped to strike up an understanding with his match-winner.

NEIL HARRIS:

"I think the respect is mutual," he said. "That's for sure. I was a goalscorer in box. I wasn't particularly quick, but I like to think I was quite clever with and without the ball. And I worked hard.

"Tommo works extremely hard. He's clever and he's a goalscorer. He scores very different goals, he's not going to score goals in the six-yard box with his head all the time, but he's got real ability.

Josh Murphy of Cardiff celebrates with Lee Tomlin after scoring the opening goal.
"He's a real team player and sometimes players just need a little bit of love and you have to try to find ways of getting the best out of them.

"And for me at the moment it's just playing him and working him hard. He's focused and positive and the team appreciate him and he appreciates the team around him."

The form of Tomlin will perhaps bring his role in the Neil Warnock era under even closer scrutiny, but the former Bristol City star clearly has a big role in the dressing room under Harris, who believes he's just one of several leaders within his squad.

"There's a different of leading in players. Sean Morrison leads by voice, presence and example. Marlon Pack the same.

"Callum Paterson does it by work ethic and chasing lost causes and then Tomlin does it with his big personality in the changing room, inspiring people around him.

"Knowing you've got Lee Tomlin in the team, you know a moment of quality can win you the game.

"But I think everyone appreciates his quality with the ball and then they see his work ethic off the ball.

"That inspires people. And that's what makes him a good leader in my team and my changing room."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.