Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Brentford new ground

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22 am

Looks decent ,a club on the up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Brentford new ground

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:20 am

Decent is all that I could say to describe it, nothing special looking at that photo.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:37 am

Been taking my boy down Griffin Park this season as its a choice between QPR or Brentford in these parts with maybe Fulham as a third option and couldn't bring myself to take him down QPR or Fulham as I can't stand either club.

Fair play he's really got the bug this year and it reminds me very much of the first season me and my dad went down the City in the 92/93 season - where there's just a wicked buzz around the club and the boy genuinely expects them to win every game. Front line of Watkins, Mbuemo and Behnrama are some of the best in the division and they're playing a really nice brand of football, it's not quite Blake, Griffith and Dale vintage though!

It's just a really nice little club, with a friendly family vibe and to be fair and the new stadium is looking really good and with London Irish sharing with them, next season is a real chance there could be Premier League Rugby and potentially even Premier League football to watch.

Just hoping that we don't meet them in the playoffs. Hopefully, they can catch Leeds and go up autos we'll do it the hard way - preferably by beating Fulham in Wembley - that said if it has to be the other way round and we have to go on an unbeaten run till the end of the season to catch Leeds then I'll take that I guess! :D

:ayatollah:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Good luck to Brentford, I would love to see them have a turn in the Premiership, so long as it's not at Cardiff's expense.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm

Gaining an extra 4500 seats, sharing with Rugby, increase income from hospitality - all things the bean counters would have factored in.

What they wouldn't have considered is the consequences of moving from a tight, compact, homely ground, to a stadium on a industrial estate, plus the lack of intimacy that helps the home side so much..

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Looks good

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:56 pm

over a few years Brentford have been a good football playing team but they get really good players and lose them as they are a small club with a small ground.

Extra money coming in then they maybe able to keep these players and have a real crack at it

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:58 pm

Went to have a look recently at Griffin Park as was working at the M4 roundabout just up the road..always try to get to the old grounds before they disappear forever..even went to Vetch. Have this sense something’s being lost.

Did alot in the 90s when the terraces were going..Kop, Shed, Highbury, West Ham etc( that new ground is the worst)

Anyway, wheres the new ground in relation to GP..

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Went to have a look recently at Griffin Park as was working at the M4 roundabout just up the road..always try to get to the old grounds before they disappear forever..even went to Vetch. Have this sense something’s being lost.

Did alot in the 90s when the terraces were going..Kop, Shed, Highbury, West Ham etc( that new ground is the worst)

Next junction on the m4 about 500m away

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:13 pm

That will be a premier league ground next season, this will be Brentfords year

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 pm

Minnows are brentford.

Great recruitment and scouts mind if we could nick their scouts and recruitment team we would be flying in the premiership

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:11 pm

What's the capacity?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:42 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:Gaining an extra 4500 seats, sharing with Rugby, increase income from hospitality - all things the bean counters would have factored in.

What they wouldn't have considered is the consequences of moving from a tight, compact, homely ground, to a stadium on a industrial estate, plus the lack of intimacy that helps the home side so much..

This is within eyesight of griffin park and just off the Thames and yards from the underground, it’s a tight ground also and not in an industrial estate!

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:22 am

Not that I’m an architect or stadium expert but looking at it on maps there doesn’t seem to be any scope for expansion, and it doesn’t seem big to start with. It’s jammed in between railway lines on 3 sides. Looks nice enough though, and I’m sure it’s a big upgrade on Griffin Park. Although I’m a fan of older tighter grounds, but they’re just not commercially viable in the modern game.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 am

wez1927 wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:Went to have a look recently at Griffin Park as was working at the M4 roundabout just up the road..always try to get to the old grounds before they disappear forever..even went to Vetch. Have this sense something’s being lost.

Ah, got it.. towards Gunnersbury.. cheers

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:33 am

rumpo kid wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Ah, got it.. towards Gunnersbury.. cheers

Right outside the tube station

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:11 pm

Jesus wept, those seats are horrendous. They trying to make the ground look fuller?

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:43 pm

DanielHuwLewis wrote:Jesus wept, those seats are horrendous. They trying to make the ground look fuller?

I like seats like that. More popular on the continent than here.

The corners look odd. Maybe it was due to planning restrictions but seems odd for the roof to slope down creating a really small corner stand.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:00 pm

I would expect that city fans will love this ground for many reason Great position , still close to the pitch , and easy to get too .
I had the pleasure of going into it recently and it is a lovely stadium

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:12 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:Been taking my boy down Griffin Park this season as its a choice between QPR or Brentford in these parts with maybe Fulham as a third option and couldn't bring myself to take him down QPR or Fulham as I can't stand either club.

Fair play he's really got the bug this year and it reminds me very much of the first season me and my dad went down the City in the 92/93 season - where there's just a wicked buzz around the club and the boy genuinely expects them to win every game. Front line of Watkins, Mbuemo and Behnrama are some of the best in the division and they're playing a really nice brand of football, it's not quite Blake, Griffith and Dale vintage though!

It's just a really nice little club, with a friendly family vibe and to be fair and the new stadium is looking really good and with London Irish sharing with them, next season is a real chance there could be Premier League Rugby and potentially even Premier League football to watch.

Just hoping that we don't meet them in the playoffs. Hopefully, they can catch Leeds and go up autos we'll do it the hard way - preferably by beating Fulham in Wembley - that said if it has to be the other way round and we have to go on an unbeaten run till the end of the season to catch Leeds then I'll take that I guess! :D

Did you used to take your boy to little Kickers football at Drayton Manor High School on a Saturday morning, about 3 years ago? If it was you we have met.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 pm

TheCityFan1927 wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:Been taking my boy down Griffin Park this season as its a choice between QPR or Brentford in these parts with maybe Fulham as a third option and couldn't bring myself to take him down QPR or Fulham as I can't stand either club.

Did you used to take your boy to little Kickers football at Drayton Manor High School on a Saturday morning, about 3 years ago? If it was you we have met.

Yeah man that's me :thumbright:
How you keeping? How's your boy doing - still playing football?

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:03 am

I like the look of it personally, always preferred the "square " shape over the generic bowls of today. :old: :bluebird:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:33 am

I imagine the restrictions of the site dictated what could be built and not the visual dream. I like that it's not a unibrand bowl and it's looks like it's compact and hope its stands are all a bit closer to the white line than what has become the new norm. Well done to Brentford for getting it done.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:09 pm

Gaynor Straight wrote:
DanielHuwLewis wrote:Jesus wept, those seats are horrendous. They trying to make the ground look fuller?

I like seats like that. More popular on the continent than here.

The corners look odd. Maybe it was due to planning restrictions but seems odd for the roof to slope down creating a really small corner stand.

I think design was restricted as its rammed between 3 railway lines

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:12 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
TheCityFan1927 wrote:

Yeah man that's me :thumbright:
How you keeping? How's your boy doing - still playing football?

All good mate thanks. He’s going on a Sunday with the group that started the kids Northfields United team. Saturdays difficult to do for us at the moment though.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:53 pm

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:Good luck to Brentford, I would love to see them have a turn in the Premiership, so long as it's not at Cardiff's expense.

;) :thumbup:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Looks decent.

incidentally one of the best atmospheres I have ever been part of us a City fan at an Away game was Griffin Park

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:57 pm

It reminds me a bit of Nottingham Forest’s ground, though I can’t quite put my finger on why.

I think they will go up this year. That Berhrama is quite the player

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:09 pm

BluebirdForever wrote:It reminds me a bit of Nottingham Forest’s ground, though I can’t quite put my finger on why.

I think they will go up this year. That Berhrama is quite the player
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.