Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Murphy in championship team of the week

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:40 am

Murphy, what a turn around
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Murphy in championship team of the week

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:49 am

That's great news for him, for the manager and the supporters who are finally starting to see why he was brought in :clap:

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Seems to be enjoying playing a more advanced role. Celtic showing interest is probably helping as well.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:37 pm

Fair play looks like it's all clicking together

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Ive said all along, a player like him needs to be played and consistently to get some form and confidence. Hopefully now he plays against WIgan and pushes on further.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:09 pm

And no Leeds players. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind!

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:24 pm

I may be being over cynical here but have to agree with Buckleys Brewery his sudden dramatic turn around in form does seem to have coincided with Celtic showing an interest in him.Someone should tell him there is a Celtic scout in the stadium before every game.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:26 pm

It is the one positive to come out of that reading replay that Murphy was able to bag a couple of goals. Let’s be fair there was nothing else but getting on the scoresheet even in defeat may have given him the boost needed. The goal he scored last night was a mark of confidence and I have no doubt a confident josh Murphy is a huge asset.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:38 pm

He scored well, but if you look at the first 20 mins last night, he gave the ball away very easily and lacked challenging to get the ball back. He put the defence under undue pressure. Needs to improve that aspect of his game before I am convinced.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:46 pm

If he is dispossessed or bundled over his first instinct is to lay flat on the floor which be does fractionally longer than everyone else who is usually back on their feet working back quickly. That is I think where the pressure on the rest of the team comes from

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 pm

Grandstand wrote:He scored well, but if you look at the first 20 mins last night, he gave the ball away very easily and lacked challenging to get the ball back. He put the defence under undue pressure. Needs to improve that aspect of his game before I am convinced.

I don’t agree with your point. I understand it, but I don’t agree with it. How you can use that as a reason to not be convinced with Murphy yet, (which there are plenty of reasonable reasons not to), then that’s an unfair reason. Tomlin gave the ball away in our half and practically played the other team through twice last night. Pack and Nelson often dwell on the ball a second too late at times and put our defence under unnecessary pressure too. Heck, even Adomah lost it more than Murphy last night.

I think calling Murphy out for the same thing half the team have a habit of doing is a bit too short sighted and unfair to Murphy. I need convincing of him too but to say he put our defence under pressure in the first 20 minutes as a genuine criticism of last night, when many players did the same thing worse, I just don’t accept that.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 pm

Grandstand wrote:He scored well, but if you look at the first 20 mins last night, he gave the ball away very easily and lacked challenging to get the ball back. He put the defence under undue pressure. Needs to improve that aspect of his game before I am convinced.

Mmm I tend to agree. He was by no means brilliant but a lot better than a few games ago.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:58 pm

LeonSDC wrote:

I don’t agree with your point. I understand it, but I don’t agree with it. How you can use that as a reason to not be convinced with Murphy yet, (which there are plenty of reasonable reasons not to), then that’s an unfair reason. Tomlin gave the ball away in our half and practically played the other team through twice last night. Pack and Nelson often dwell on the ball a second too late at times and put our defence under unnecessary pressure too. Heck, even Adomah lost it more than Murphy last night.

I think calling Murphy out for the same thing half the team have a habit of doing is a bit too short sighted and unfair to Murphy. I need convincing of him too but to say he put our defence under pressure in the first 20 minutes as a genuine criticism of last night, when many players did the same thing worse, I just don’t accept that.
l

I don't disagree with most of what you say, the only reason I picked him out was that he was in the team of the week, and the others you quoted were not. The lack of commitment is the reason he is not a top player and why premership clubs will not buy him. Sterling for Man City who is a top player and an example , not only has great skill, but goes out of his way to get the ball back, if he loses the ball. We were lucky that Huddersfield were poor and did not take advantage of the chances from poor retention of the city players.