Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW: CARDIFF CITY WENT IN TO THIS GAME V STRUGGLERS WIG

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:54 pm

MY VIEW / OPINION

CARDIFF CITY WENT IN TO THIS GAME V STRUGGLERS WIGAN, WITH CARDIFF UNBEATEN IN THEIR LAST 6 GAMES. W 3 / D3 :bluebird:

Neil Harris stated this week: 'People will fear Cardiff City!' & "This squad is good enough for the top six."

For me it will be along time before anyone fears us with our first-half displays.

For long periods yes we controlled, but after two great away wins , for me this was 2ptd dropped against relegation threatened Wigan.

First-half: After conceding early City got straight back in the game through Josh Murphy. City created the best chances of the half but cruelly Wigan scored a penalty on the stroke of half time. Wigan dominated possession in the first half, however City carved out more chances.

A game also of missed opportunities.

I see it as 2pts dropped and poor result conceding two goals .

There were Referee decisions that seemed wrong decisions which proved costly, but over a season they usually even out.

CARDIFF CITY 2 WIGAN 2
Crowd
away Support 280 fans

Cardiff City: Smithies; Richards, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett; Pack, Vaulks; Adomah, Tomlin, Murphy; Paterson

Subs: Etheridge, Sanderson, Bacuna, Hoilett, Ward Glatzel

5 mins A sloppy start once again by Cardiff Cardiff City 0-1 Wigan (Moore)

Wigan took a short corner and caught City napping as Sam Morsy picked it up on the edge of the box. He squared it and Kieffer Moore, just five yards out, flicked it home for a lovely finish. Cardiff behind early here :cry:

Then a good goal by on fire Josh Murphy made it 1-1 after 8mins :thumbright: :bluebird:

48th min PENALTY WIGAN

Morsy shot from range and Nelson, sliding, sees the ball deflect off his arm and the referee pointed to the spot. Where Wigan put the ball away 1-2 :cry:

H/T 1-2 :cry:

City started well.

55th min It was all square again! The long throw once again paying dividends!

Vaulks throw-in was cleared and it falls to Pack on the edge of the box and the midfielder hammered his volley towards goal before it ricochets off Kai Naismith and into the back of the net. 2-2 :bluebird: :bluebird:

Ward came on for Paterson.

Hoilett came on for Murphy.

It was end to end

A goalmouth scramble from the Wigan corner, but Morrison clears, just!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW: CARDIFF CITY WENT IN TO THIS GAME V STRUGGLERS

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Sometimes you have to take a draw and move on. Look at all the results today in the Championship. Awful conditions, and Wigan are fighting for their lives.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:59 pm

With bristol and preston losing today that is a major slip up from us :banghead:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Only 6 points separate 7 teams

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:02 pm

We won it at the end but a dreadful decision from the ref has cost us three points. The officials were awful all afternoon. in fairness a draw was a fair result though, Wigan are a useful team. Only 3 points from the play offs now as results went our way so keeping glass half full.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:05 pm

I warned all week about the potential Wigan banana skin, but we slipped on it again. 2 points thrown away in a game of spectacularly low quality. How that defence kept 2 clean sheets in a week is beyond me as we were hopeless today. I have never seen so many misplaced passes in a game. As others have said, other results helped us but wee were not good enough again. :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:05 pm

I see it as 2 points dropped looking at other results.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:08 pm

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:09 pm

Terrible result coupled by the fact we couldn’t beat reading last time out at home. Takes the gloss off the away victories

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:18 pm

disappointing but not unexpected. Really need to win the next game to keep up the pressure. Shame felt it was a great opportunity to really push up and put the pressure on especially with results.

Cant win them all, still a good week of results. Felt Glatzel should have come on tbh.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Closer to the play offs than at 3pm.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:30 pm

Good set of results for us if we had to draw today

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm

Behind twice in a game we were confident of winning so a draw at the end of the day is what it is....move in and hopefully kick on .

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:41 pm

Disappointed not to win, officials where shit. Wigan didnt roll over and made it tough, although they didn't really do much with their possession.

Biggest disappointment was city couldn't really build.much in the second half, i felt we kinda slipped from playing like a team and went more individual like.

Ward coming on made a difference

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:03 pm

Logie wrote:Disappointed not to win, officials where shit. Wigan didnt roll over and made it tough, although they didn't really do much with their possession.

Biggest disappointment was city couldn't really build.much in the second half, i felt we kinda slipped from playing like a team and went more individual like.

Ward coming on made a difference

Yes but like v Reading he missed a decent chance.
Why does he persist in playing Paterson at CF? He’s not a CF. Moore showed him how to do it today and whilst in didn’t want Moore signed he is so much more effective at hold up play and distribution that Paterson.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 pm

39 points left to play for :)

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:12 pm

A negative statement from Annis, remember we took 7 points from 9. We have had a great week. Roll on the next game.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 pm

Grandstand wrote:A negative statement from Annis, remember we took 7 points from 9. We have had a great week. Roll on the next game.

I’ve only written it as I saw it , we need to be beating teams like Wigan who are bottom three and we were at home.
For me Harris will also feel the same way.

We can’t be positive about today as it’s a step backwards, but thankfully clubs above us messed up.

Harris has stated this squad is good enough for the play offs and he believes clubs will start to fear us, well today we never looked like that team.
I would rather say it as it is, than pretend otherwise.

Also it was 8pts from 12pts against the weaker teams in the Championship.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:22 am

Murphy is not on fire.
Patersons energy is fantastic as is his ability to flick on serious aerial balls but we need midfield possession and move higher up the pitch without a fifty yard pass and we are struggling to do that. Packs lack of pace even against a team in bottom three is an issue.

We should not be surrendering all that possession to a team in bottom three and at home. Two points and an opportunity missed.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:49 am

Hello !! It's pretty difficult to beat a team with 12 men !!!

Absolutely disgraceful refereeing, the man should be sent to park football for a while.

Also ok. We should be winning these games but Wigan are on a bit of a revival and personally think they will pull away from drop zone.

Onward and upward on the CCFC roller-coaster. :D

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:41 am

I agree entirely with Julesk. i thought the referee was an absolute disgrace from the first minute tackle on Vaulks which should have resulted with a red card to the last minute when he chalked off Morrison's header after Marshall had made a mess of trying to deal with a corner. There were so many incidents during the game where he penalised us for challenges which he had allowed Wigan to get away with. Over the last couple of seasons we have been on the end of many bad referees but I think this clown was probably the worst I have seen. I don't think we played well enough to win the game but the result of the game should not have been decided by appalling refereeing

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:23 am

Before theee last three games people would have snapped your hand off for 7 points.

Yesterday was disappointing particularly as I thought the referee was awful for us. Their guy should have been sent off in the first minute for an awful foul on Vaulks and it continued from there. The disallowed goal was pathetic!

The games that will mark out the season for me will be the next two home games. 4 points in those and game on.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:35 am

Blueman39 wrote:Behind twice in a game we were confident of winning so a draw at the end of the day is what it is....move in and hopefully kick on .

:thumbup:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:39 am

I’m not saying we were brilliant today by any stretch of the imagination but honestly the referee was awful! From the first minute with that tackle on Vaulks to the last minute disallowing Morrisons goal he was ridiculously one sided. At least we didn’t lose but very frustrating

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:48 am

Love to see if refs get assessed after every game. That idiot yesterday should hang his head in shame

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:04 pm

For me we Won the hardest games out of our last 4 league games and won the two away and ended up letting ourselves down by drawing the two home games, for me those were 4pts that will be very crucial come May.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:14 pm

Adomah should have been brought off instead of Murphy, Murphy was a threat every time he got on the ball and Adomah killed our counter attacks by giving away needless fouls and underhit passes to anyone who overlapped, he was average had good moments but killed us in the key attacks and Jazz Richards needs to be dropped ASAP.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:For me we Won the hardest games out of our last 4 league games and won the two away and ended up letting ourselves down by drawing the two home games, for me those were 4pts that will be very crucial come May.

Agree with that comment of late - but we have drawn too many games over the season..... there are still loads of points to play for .

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:00 pm

Wigan always play well against us ,a bogy side so we did well , didn't lose , point gained