Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Today's ref

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:36 pm

Agree with him on their pen, I really can't see much wrong with our 'winner'. Marshall was crowded out but, I'm not sure I saw any foul play.

Re: Today's ref

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:43 pm

Bottled it. Shocking. Keepers can jump with their elbows and knees out but if they don’t get the ball they still get a free kick!

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:21 pm

One of the worst I've seen.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:24 pm

Really disappointing with weak ref

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:29 pm

I thought he was very poor today and the linesmen weren't any better.

Missed at least two clear pulls on Morrison in the penalty area but managed to see the "handball" by Nelson for their penalty.

The goal at the end should never have been disallowed. The corner before the ref had made a point of walking over to Tomlin who was standing in front of Marshall and speaking to him, no doubt warning him that he was keeping an eye on him.

One thing we all know about Marshall during his time with us was that, great shot stopper that he was, his major weakness was dealing with and flapping at crosses and that was what happened this afternoon. There was no foul by any City player in that goalmouth melee at the end - if anyone obstructed or fouled Marshall it was one of the Wigan players.

Ref couldn't wait to give a foul and ruling the goal out.

No doubt Steve Zodiak will defend the ref as he usually does :lol: but I have to say that was aan appalling decision which could cost us a chance of a play off place. It was almost as bad as the decision to rule out Bamba's goal at Millwall a few years ago and give us a free kick instead.

The standard of refereeing in the Championship is truly appalling.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:38 pm

davids wrote:I thought he was very poor today and the linesmen weren't any better.

Missed at least two clear pulls on Morrison in the penalty area but managed to see the "handball" by Nelson for their penalty.

The goal at the end should never have been disallowed. The corner before the ref had made a point of walking over to Tomlin who was standing in front of Marshall and speaking to him, no doubt warning him that he was keeping an eye on him.

One thing we all know about Marshall during his time with us was that, great shot stopper that he was, his major weakness was dealing with and flapping at crosses and that was what happened this afternoon. There was no foul by any City player in that goalmouth melee at the end - if anyone obstructed or fouled Marshall it was one of the Wigan players.

No doubt Steve Zodiak will defend the ref as he usually does :lol: but I have to say that was aan appalling decision which could cost us a chance of a play off place. It was almost as bad as the decision to rule out Bamba's goal at Millwall a few years ago and give us a free kick instead.

He was only bad when it came to the decisions against us. I guess he was fine with our first goal which came from a blatant foul throw. Foot was about a foot over the touchline when he took the throw which resulted in our first goal. I have not said the standard of reffing is good, but fans on this forum seem to pick up only on the things that go against us.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:41 pm

In 2020 if you crowd the keeper like we did and you don't score from the initial ball in you are not going to get any decisions.

We did make it easy for him with Tomlins little pulls and trip and Patersons diva-esq dives.

He was inconsistent all game though. Not sure i know what is handball or not nowadays. Some are given whilst others are not

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:56 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
davids wrote:I thought he was very poor today and the linesmen weren't any better.

He was only bad when it came to the decisions against us. I guess he was fine with our first goal which came from a blatant foul throw. Foot was about a foot over the touchline when he took the throw which resulted in our first goal. I have not said the standard of reffing is good, but fans on this forum seem to pick up only on the things that go against us.

No, he was bad the whole game, not just when the decisions went against us. You may well be right about the first goal - I was about 100 yards away from the throw in so I couldn't see that :o but the goal at the end was right in front of me and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it that I could see.

In my opinion the standard of refereeing in the Championship is shockingly bad as I said in my earlier post - for all teams not just us.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:58 pm

Referee today was totally inept. Josh Murphy was fouled 6 times in the 1st half and he failed to show a yellow card for any one of those offences. Why did he give us a free kick and then seemingly change his mind 2 seconds later. A man totally out of his depth and let Wigan get away with little niggles all afternoon. We don’t have get some beauties down the CCS as officials!!! :banghead:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:59 pm

llan bluebird wrote:In 2020 if you crowd the keeper like we did and you don't score from the initial ball in you are not going to get any decisions.

We did make it easy for him with Tomlins little pulls and trip and Patersons diva-esq dives.

He was inconsistent all game though. Not sure i know what is handball or not nowadays. Some are given whilst others are not

Agree with the above. :thumbup:
Obviously we all complain about refs and their decisions when it goes against us... it goes without saying.
However, I agree with the old adage “the ref can only give what he sees”. Sometimes they miss a foul or an offside or whatever. We are all human!
BUT the problem today was the ref didnt see a foul for the disallowed goal so he GUESSED there must have been a foul. Decent refs make mistakes cos they miss an incident, but they don’t guess!!! :bluebird:

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:12 pm

Liverpool just had a goal gifted to them when Mane clearly shoved the Norwich defender in the back. Compare that to our disallowed goal and it's totally embarrassing. Liverpool continue to have decisions and points gifted to them while we continue to have incredible decisions given against us. It's the reason we're back down in the Championship in the first place with the officials sending us down last season. Those 2 points robbed from us today could cost us the playoffs.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:16 pm

davids wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

No, he was bad the whole game, not just when the decisions went against us. You may well be right about the first goal - I was about 100 yards away from the throw in so I couldn't see that :o but the goal at the end was right in front of me and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it that I could see.

In my opinion the standard of refereeing in the Championship is shockingly bad as I said in my earlier post - for all teams not just us.

The goal at the end should stand as far as I am concerned. I can see why it wasn't, but that is more down to the stupid rules that over protect keepers in the modern game. You can't so much as touch them any more, and we see this happen every week unfortunately. I was waiting for the whistle to blow as soon as the keeper was being crowded out, and I was expecting the whistle to blow before Murphy scored.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:30 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Liverpool just had a goal gifted to them when Mane clearly shoved the Norwich defender in the back. Compare that to our disallowed goal and it's totally embarrassing. Liverpool continue to have decisions and points gifted to them while we continue to have incredible decisions given against us. It's the reason we're back down in the Championship in the first place with the officials sending us down last season. Those 2 points robbed from us today could cost us the playoffs.

If we miss out on the play offs by a couple of points, it won't just be down to a disallowed goal today. You can also add to that some terrible defending throughout the season where we have turned wins into draws as well a lack of creativity. We can blame refs all we like, but we have dropped way more than two points from poor defensive errors, and if some of these errors had not been repeated week in week out, we could have been in a position where bad decisions would not be a major factor in reaching the play offs. All sides suffer from poor decisions, but most will not get promoted or relegated purely down to these decisions.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:59 pm

Awful referee and awful linesmen who spoiled a awful game. It was awful all round :laughing5:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:48 am

I thought the referee got most of it right to be honest.

He was bang on for the penalty as Nelson was very naive having his hands up that high. The ball struck his hand and changed course. Stone wall in my eyes.

He was lenient on a few rash challenges but tried to let the game flow and booked the ones that were bad.

We had 3 players with hands and arms everywhere for the 3rd goal. It was 50/50 and unluckily it went against us.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:54 am

Do you think when it comes to 50/50 decisions instinct takes over and they favour the English clubs?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:56 am

Hopefully not. He bottled first tackle on Vaulks and carried on from there

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:23 am

Foghorn65 wrote:Hopefully not. He bottled first tackle on Vaulks and carried on from there

The guy should have been sent off, no doubt about it!

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:49 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Agree with him on their pen, I really can't see much wrong with our 'winner'. Marshall was crowded out but, I'm not sure I saw any foul play.

Marshall reaction wasnt to complain to the ref but to kick the ball away in frustration because presumably he thought he had cost them the game.