Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Full back substitution yesterday

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:09 am

When Bennett went off at half time he replaced him with Bacuna and moved Richards to left back which left us with two players playing out of position.

Begs the question why was Sanderson signed as back up if he is going to chose a midfielder to play out of position instead of him?

Does he not rate him now hes seen him or was he just a cheap buy to appease the fans during the window ?

Why play a player out of position instead of the guy you have literally just signed to cover ?

Re: Full back substitution yesterday

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:21 am

Bacunna is a right sided player and Jazz is just as comfortable on the left, if fact I think Jazz plays better on the left than on the right :thumbup:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:23 am

I thought exactly the same. Very curious. Bacuna does ok at full back but if he is going to be picked over a full back you have to wonder why Sanderson was signed.
Mind you I'd have had Bacuna in midfield over Pack with the offensive four that played against Wigan so what do I know.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:25 am

Bacuna is not a right back
He is a midfielder
We had a direct replacement on the bench without having to move players out of position and onto the wrong side.
Why do that if you have a direct replacement ?
And why sign him if hes not going to be used, we could have just as easily saved the wages and put Coxe on the bench

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:06 pm

thomasblue wrote:Bacuna is not a right back
He is a midfielder
We had a direct replacement on the bench without having to move players out of position and onto the wrong side.
Why do that if you have a direct replacement ?
And why sign him if hes not going to be used, we could have just as easily saved the wages and put Coxe on the bench

Coxe can’t defend!

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 pm

I think the point being made is if you bring someone in as cover then put a player in out of position why bring the cover in in the first place.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:20 pm

When Bacuna came in he was able to take a higher position and pushed the full back and left sided winger right back, so much so that Adomah ventured infield to good effect.
Maybe just maybe, Harris thought this would work tactically.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:50 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:When Bacuna came in he was able to take a higher position and pushed the full back and left sided winger right back, so much so that Adomah ventured infield to good effect.

Didnt he say Sanderson is a attacking full back ? That means he would do the same job as Bacuna did but he never chose him even though he is his signing ?
It was strange and makes it look like Sanderson was only brought in to get a body through the door like Smith so fans didnt kick off with no signings in January
It's quite obvious

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:09 pm

thomasblue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:When Bacuna came in he was able to take a higher position and pushed the full back and left sided winger right back, so much so that Adomah ventured infield to good effect.

Didnt he say Sanderson is a attacking full back ? That means he would do the same job as Bacuna did but he never chose him even though he is his signing ?
It was strange and makes it look like Sanderson was only brought in to get a body through the door like Smith so fans didnt kick off with no signings in January
It's quite obvious

Peltier goes so replace with another ‘younger’ full back. That seems obvious.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:10 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

It's quite obvious

A full back to cover incase of injuries. A full back who has never played a single minute of a league game in his life.
A full back that is on the bench but is not chosen and a midfielder is shoehorned in ahead of him instead when he was needed. Is he not ready or not good enough because if Bacuna is back up then Anderson wasnt needed as we have Coxe who is more experianced than Sanderson and is OUR player

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:53 pm

thomasblue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

It's quite obvious

A full back to cover incase of injuries. A full back who has never played a single minute of a league game in his life.
A full back that is on the bench but is not chosen and a midfielder is shoehorned in ahead of him instead when he was needed. Is he not ready or not good enough because if Bacuna is back up then Anderson wasnt needed as we have Coxe who is more experianced than Sanderson and is OUR player

With Peltier going we had one recognised right back who’s fitness history at the time was questionable. Replaced by a younger model. I haven’t seen anywhere that he’s an attacking full back but I have read his own interview when he said something on the lines of he loves defending and can play anywhere along the back.
Did Bacuna do pretty well when he came on? Yes, I think he did
Did he push forward? Yes he did.
If we were 3-2 up with 10 mins to go and a full back needed replacing I’m guessing that Sanderson would have had the nod, but for the time being we’ll not know.
All opinions though mate.