Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The referee yesterday John Brooks has officiated at two othe

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:50 pm

The referee yesterday John Brooks has officiated at two other Cardiff City matches this season - the 2-1 defeat at Brentford and the 4-2 reverse at West Brom.

He and his linesmen were truly appalling at the Cardiff Stadium and need to be officially reported to the Football League.

Brooks, 30, is also on an assistant list to the EPL referee list; God help us, if that is the standard of refereeing emerging.

Re: The referee yesterday John Brooks has officiated at two

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Brooks has an internet page - just posted "bottler" on it. Our fans aware Brooks has an the page and you can post :bluebird:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Incredulous that the first challenge on Vaulks not acted upon. Bottler indeed.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:46 pm

Forever Blue wrote:The referee yesterday John Brooks has officiated at two other Cardiff City matches this season - the 2-1 defeat at Brentford and the 4-2 reverse at West Brom.

He and his linesmen were truly appalling at the Cardiff Stadium and need to be officially reported to the Football League.

Brooks, 30, is also on an assistant list to the EPL referee list; God help us, if that is the standard of refereeing emerging.

At West Brom, Glatzel had a goal disallowed for offside when he was clearly on.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:18 pm

I thought he got everything spot on to be honest. Yes you can see why the first minute challenge could have been red but it was debatable.

The goal at the end was a big scramble and Morrison had his right arm up in the air jumping across Marshall then Tomlin runs into him knocking him over so you can see why the foul was given in that also.

He got the penalty spot on and ket the game flow in poor conditions. I've seen a lot worse refereeing over the years doen here than yesterday

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:30 pm

thomasblue wrote:I thought he got everything spot on to be honest. Yes you can see why the first minute challenge could have been red but it was debatable.

The goal at the end was a big scramble and Morrison had his right arm up in the air jumping across Marshall then Tomlin runs into him knocking him over so you can see why the foul was given in that also.

He got the penalty spot on and ket the game flow in poor conditions. I've seen a lot worse refereeing over the years doen here than yesterday

Don't agree Thomas but that's the great thing about opinions.

The foul in the first minute would probably have been a red card at any time after the first five minutes. If a tackle is worthy of a red card it doesn't matter if it's in the first minute or the last and frankly the ref "bottled" the decision.

Nobody was jumping across Marshall. As Steve Zodiak said yesterday it is typical now of any minimal contact with the goalkeeper results in a foul being given against the attacker - nowadays you might as well just let the keeper catch the ball unchallenged because the moment a challenge is made whether fair or not is immediately given as a foul.

The ref had spoken to Tomlin the corner before and therefore was looking for any excuse to penalise him for any involvement in the penalty area melee. The fact is that Marshall flapped at the cross, mad a very poor contact with the ball and then was beaten to the loose ball by stronger players. No way should that goal have been disallowed.

As others have said, even Marshall made no protest regarding the goal as he realised our players had scored a perfectly good goal.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:34 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21026985

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:39 pm

He gave a lot of whistle for innocuous challenges where a better ref would let the game flow..

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:01 pm

We all Know how shit Marshall is with a crowd around him

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Kept the game flowing !!!!! Were you at the same game Thomas?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:16 pm

davids wrote:
thomasblue wrote:I thought he got everything spot on to be honest. Yes you can see why the first minute challenge could have been red but it was debatable.

Don't agree Thomas but that's the great thing about opinions.

The foul in the first minute would probably have been a red card at any time after the first five minutes. If a tackle is worthy of a red card it doesn't matter if it's in the first minute or the last and frankly the ref "bottled" the decision.

Nobody was jumping across Marshall. As Steve Zodiak said yesterday it is typical now of any minimal contact with the goalkeeper results in a foul being given against the attacker - nowadays you might as well just let the keeper catch the ball unchallenged because the moment a challenge is made whether fair or not is immediately given as a foul.

The ref had spoken to Tomlin the corner before and therefore was looking for any excuse to penalise him for any involvement in the penalty area melee. The fact is that Marshall flapped at the cross, mad a very poor contact with the ball and then was beaten to the loose ball by stronger players. No way should that goal have been disallowed.

As others have said, even Marshall made no protest regarding the goal as he realised our players had scored a perfectly good goal.

Everybody knows you cannot jump with your arms up and outstretched. Morrisons right arm was up over Marshall and Tomlin jumped straight into him. How is it not a foul ? If it was the other way around I would have wanted a foul as well.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:17 pm

JulesK wrote:Kept the game flowing !!!!! Were you at the same game Thomas?

Yes I was . I didn't think he was that bad. His linesman on the other hand was shocking

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Refuse to have him as a referee at any of our games. Can't happen I know but if we request it it will highlight how crap he is as a referee.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:00 pm

He often teams up with Mike Dean, so look out for the dynamic duo.
And in this story (including video) he offers Man City players some advice...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21026985

Assistant referee John Brooks dropped over Man City comment

The assistant referee who told Manchester City players to thank their fans at Arsenal has been dropped from an FA Cup tie because of "the pressure of media interest in him".

John Brooks's comments were picked up by a camera at the Emirates on Sunday.
He urged City players to go to their supporters, who paid £62 for a ticket.

He was due to be one of the officials at Tuesday's FA Cup replay between West Brom and Queens Park Rangers at the Hawthorns.

The organisation that manages referees, the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) said it made its decision in order to ensure Brooks was not subject to undue media pressure.

Brooks told Manchester City players: "They paid 62 quid over there, go and see them" as he shook their hands at the end of the 2-0 away win.

The cost of tickets at the Emirates had been a talking point before the game with some City fans boycotting the match in protest.

The club are reported to have returned 900 of their 3,000 ticket allocation for the match.

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:25 pm

dare I say it we lost the play off final against Blackpool because of MARSHAL terrible clearance and other games he was rubbish in the air cost us many times and funny enough it went his way yesterday and against us again .

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:24 pm

Thewifestheboss wrote:Refuse to have him as a referee at any of our games. Can't happen I know but if we request it it will highlight how crap he is as a referee.

A few years back Warnock was furious with ref Stephen Martin, who, in two of the games he reffed us, he sent Warnock to the stands. Happy to be corrected, but I believe Warnock suggested that Martin wanted to be seen to bigger and more important than him.

After his critical response to some poor performances from Martin (Derby home, Millwall home and Reading away if I recall), we did not had him at all for the remainder of that season, or this season.

( Watch us get him next game now!)

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:57 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:The referee yesterday John Brooks has officiated at two other Cardiff City matches this season - the 2-1 defeat at Brentford and the 4-2 reverse at West Brom.

At West Brom, Glatzel had a goal disallowed for offside when he was clearly on.

That’s the linesman’s error.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:01 pm

Why did you not mention our 2 blatant penalty shouts on adomah and morrison

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:36 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:

Why did you not mention our 2 blatant penalty shouts on adomah and morrison

Because they were not blatent. Those type of incidents happen every game and if they were given we would have 10 penalties a game.

The referee really was not that bad if you watch the game back he got a lot right.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:46 pm

The referee was awful from minute one where the Wigan player shouldve had a red not yellow card.
Also the goal at the end shouldve stood Imo as I couldn't see anything wrong with it other than Marshall was surrounded and that us no foul in my book.
One of the worst we have had this season and as NH has said, the referee got 4 massive decisions wrong

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:18 pm

Wigan manager said Cardiff can feel aggrieved at the final decision!! Definitely no foul then.