Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is it too late to introduce a wage cap?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 am

Now don't get me wrong I am all for rewarding the lads for playing well and they all deserve a fair wage, however I saw this on twitter https://www.onlinemortgageadvisor.co.uk ... /footy100/

Now how can Messi make £70 million a year, I understand he is a great footballer and also brings in millions a year for the club but £70 million on wages is a bit excessive. Do you think we have gone to far to introduce a wage cap? Would this demoralise players in anyway? What if we introduced a wage cap but bonuses were allowed to go over the cap? This would mean players have a standard wage which would be much lower than there current wage and if they wanted to earn even close to what they do now they would have perform really well to get that stats that effectivly " unlocks" the big bonus.

Tell me to shut up if this all sounds stupid to you and I am just waffling.

Re: Is it too late to introduce a wage cap?

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:34 pm

I don't think its a good idea. too many ways around it (huge signing on fee's, tied in commercial deals etc).

Here's an idea. introduce a cap on how much clubs can charge for tickets, food, drink and merch and watch the wage cap sort itself out

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:02 pm

BlueBirdie wrote:Now don't get me wrong I am all for rewarding the lads for playing well and they all deserve a fair wage, however I saw this on twitter https://www.onlinemortgageadvisor.co.uk ... /footy100/

Now how can Messi make £70 million a year, I understand he is a great footballer and also brings in millions a year for the club but £70 million on wages is a bit excessive. Do you think we have gone to far to introduce a wage cap? Would this demoralise players in anyway? What if we introduced a wage cap but bonuses were allowed to go over the cap? This would mean players have a standard wage which would be much lower than there current wage and if they wanted to earn even close to what they do now they would have perform really well to get that stats that effectivly " unlocks" the big bonus.

Tell me to shut up if this all sounds stupid to you and I am just waffling.

what about capping other top entertainers earnings ,Daniel Craig or Paul McCartney perhaps.

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:15 am

It only bugs me if the fans are paying for it. Ticket prices in Spain cheaper than prem I think???

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 pm

How about a salary cap for the clubs rather than the players? Clubs in each division get x amount to spend on wages and how they distribute that among the players is up to them as long as the total is not over that limit.

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:06 pm

blue lagoon wrote:It only bugs me if the fans are paying for it. Ticket prices in Spain cheaper than prem I think???

you don't want players payed with ticket money.?

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:How about a salary cap for the clubs rather than the players? Clubs in each division get x amount to spend on wages and how they distribute that among the players is up to them as long as the total is not over that limit.

Isn't this what they do in rugby? Each club is allowed xxxx amount for wages and it's up to the club who gets paid what from that amount.

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:42 pm

Could well be, I don't pay any attention to what goes on in rugby.

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:06 pm

BlueBirdie wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:How about a salary cap for the clubs rather than the players? Clubs in each division get x amount to spend on wages and how they distribute that among the players is up to them as long as the total is not over that limit.

Isn't this what they do in rugby? Each club is allowed xxxx amount for wages and it's up to the club who gets paid what from that amount.
same as us sports nba nhl nfl mlb they have a yearly structure what they cant go over

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:07 pm

blue lagoon wrote:It only bugs me if the fans are paying for it. Ticket prices in Spain cheaper than prem I think???

Cheaper by a long way same as Germany aswell

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:12 pm

No. Basically any contract from now onwards has to meet the wage cap.

It'll all be sorted within 4 years max.