Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If the EFL season is cancelled

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:59 pm

If the EFL season is cancelled one would expect that the current league positions will be used for promotion and relegation for next season and the team in third getting promoted as well I understand that the Scottish divisions work this way and would expect the same for EFL

Re: If the EFL season is cancelled

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Thats the issue really, If the games go behind closed doors that would protect the public. But if the football is cancelled altogether that would not only protect the public but protect the footballers themselves as well as protecting the managers and owners. So its common sense really to cancel instead of behind closed doors.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:38 pm

i think there would be lawsuits if that was the case, the teams at the bottom would argue they could of won the last few games to stay up, and the same as the teams in 4th/5th/6th would of argued they could of won the play offs.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:41 pm

bluebird04 wrote:i think there would be lawsuits if that was the case, the teams at the bottom would argue they could of won the last few games to stay up, and the same as the teams in 4th/5th/6th would of argued they could of won the play offs.

I would be confident the league would have rules of participation which each team signs up to and an event like cancelling the season would be covered

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 pm

I'm sure there are rules. And id be amazed if the season didn't fully complete that titles, promotions and releagations would kick in. Season would be null and void surely. Poor Liverpool!

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:48 am

If as expected next week the Euros are cancelled that will free up time at the end of the season for the leagues to be completed if they’re suspended in the near future.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:07 am

salopiancity wrote:If as expected next week the Euros are cancelled that will free up time at the end of the season for the leagues to be completed if they’re suspended in the near future.

Certainly will help if that happens The only thing I can see as an issue Is players contracts end usually 1st June and loan signings for clubs Will players play when they are out of contract ? Or if it ends up being too close to start of new season .

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:03 am

What are the options :-

1. Continue playing but behind closed doors - with the games live on youtube or cardiff city TV
2. Continue playing behind closed doors with whatever players you can muster up who arent ill
3. Organise a penalty shoot out - if there are only a couple of players.
4. Stop the season now, keep the points and add them on to next season - with all teams remaining in the division.
5. Work out average points per game over the season and add them on to the points already gained.
6. If / when the virus goes away - arrange for 2 games a week - especially if the euros are cancelled
7. Complete the league in the summer and treat it as a pre season - then go straight into next season - we usually have 6 or so warm up games pre season.

Cant think of any other options - unless they cancel the whole thing and start afresh again next season

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:41 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:I'm sure there are rules. And id be amazed if the season didn't fully complete that titles, promotions and releagations would kick in. Season would be null and void surely. Poor Liverpool!

Perhaps each club should retain their points tally and start next season with those points. I know that's bad luck on teams chasing promotion but in theory Man City could win the title if Liverpool lost their remaining games and Man City won all theirs. Unlikely I know but if this season is declared null and void because the remaining games can't be played then that's it. :bluescarf:

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:30 am

Let me get this straight..... Play behind closed doors

What in God's name use is that, so a player has a kick about on Saturday afternoon then decided to go for a beer Saturday night how is that protecting anyone? Nope season finished start again fresh next year.

Sorry weeds :D

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:49 am

Starting next season with the points teams have now is ridiculous, you would have to ban every team from buying players in the summer. Teams could bring in many new players to help with promotion or relegation, it would be unworkable, imagine a team down the bottom buying a top striker, unlikely i know but 10 games to go 30 points. in the premier league they have the cash to spend, even in the EFL a chairman could decide to splash the cash rather than be relegated. I personally think that the season will go ahead, come what may, even if it means extending the season and a later start for the next season. It is the only way to go :thumbup:

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:49 am

Only really 2 options imo

Season is void or finish games behind closed doors

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Logie wrote:Only really 2 options imo

They are no way going to void the season either as you say behind closed doors or extend the season or cram the reshuled matches in :thumbup:

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:25 pm

play behind closed doors, air the games for free to allow kids who cant afford to watch, can

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:13 pm

I dont see how current standings can stand, simply wouldn't be fair on promotion and relegation. What about those who spent big in January the hope of pushing for the playoffs or promotion or to stay up.

Games need to be played at some point imo.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Logie wrote:Only really 2 options imo

Absolutely agree!