Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sala - the crash was caused by

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:05 pm

Sala - the report says the plane was going too fast for what it was designed for plus the pilot was affected by carbon monoxide.

I presume this wont have any affect on the court of arbitration for Sport decision re the contract dispute ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sala - the crash was caused by

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:11 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Sala - the report says the plane was going too fast for what it was designed for plus the pilot was affected by carbon monoxide.

I presume this wont have any affect on the court of arbitration for Sport decision re the contract dispute ?

Also said the pilot wasnt allowed to fly at night ,his licence ran out 3 months earlier ,and it was illegal flight, its going to have a massive part in the court case who ever arranged to flight and who he was paid by will be in the spotlight

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:09 pm

wez1927 wrote:
ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Sala - the report says the plane was going too fast for what it was designed for plus the pilot was affected by carbon monoxide.

Also said the pilot wasnt allowed to fly at night ,his licence ran out 3 months earlier ,and it was illegal flight, its going to have a massive part in the court case who ever arranged to flight and who he was paid by will be in the spotlight

Yep, this makes the accident even more dodgy. No wonder the insurance companies are fighting this out. Whoever contracted the flight will be key to all this.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Just read the report and must say " Fair play Cardiff City for not just handing over £15m."

Some squeaky bums about since that came out I bet.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:38 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... finds.html

So if you read this article. There were fault with this plane from the Cardiff to nantes flight but they weren't addressed.

Investigators found that a contributory factor in the crash was Mr Ibbotson having no training in night flying and a lack of recent practice in relying only on cockpit instruments to control a plane.

Mr Ibbotson flew him from Cardiff to Nantes so he could say goodbye to his former team-mates later that day, before conducting the fatal return flight two days later when the plane plunged into the Channel.

The AAIB also revealed that the pilot informed a number of individuals about four potential problems with the aircraft that had occurred during the outbound flight from Cardiff.

This included a 'bang', although its cause is unknown and it could not be determined if it was a factor in the crash.

On the prior flight from Cardiff to Nantes, the pilot had noticed four technical problems, including an engine oil leak, a loss of brake pressure, a spurious stall warning, and a 'bang' along with a low-level mist which he had been sensed in the airframe.

A number of individuals had been told about these problems but the report had been unable to determine what had caused the 'bang' or if it had played a part in the crash.

Mr Ibbotson, whose SEP rating on his EASA licence expired in November 2018, meaning he had no 'night rating', was not qualified to fly the aircraft at the time of the accident, the report authors said

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 pm

RichardJones wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8109381/Carbon-monoxide-leak-lack-pilot-training-blame-Emiliano-Sala-crash-report-finds.html

So if you read this article. There were fault with this plane from the Cardiff to nantes flight but they weren't addressed.

Investigators found that a contributory factor in the crash was Mr Ibbotson having no training in night flying and a lack of recent practice in relying only on cockpit instruments to control a plane.

Mr Ibbotson flew him from Cardiff to Nantes so he could say goodbye to his former team-mates later that day, before conducting the fatal return flight two days later when the plane plunged into the Channel.

The AAIB also revealed that the pilot informed a number of individuals about four potential problems with the aircraft that had occurred during the outbound flight from Cardiff.

This included a 'bang', although its cause is unknown and it could not be determined if it was a factor in the crash.

On the prior flight from Cardiff to Nantes, the pilot had noticed four technical problems, including an engine oil leak, a loss of brake pressure, a spurious stall warning, and a 'bang' along with a low-level mist which he had been sensed in the airframe.

A number of individuals had been told about these problems but the report had been unable to determine what had caused the 'bang' or if it had played a part in the crash.

Mr Ibbotson, whose SEP rating on his EASA licence expired in November 2018, meaning he had no 'night rating', was not qualified to fly the aircraft at the time of the accident, the report authors said

Negligent somewhere

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 pm

RichardJones wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8109381/Carbon-monoxide-leak-lack-pilot-training-blame-Emiliano-Sala-crash-report-finds.html

Negligent somewhere

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:16 pm

Im not usually one for conspiracy theories but have a read of the below then I will highlight something;

The pilot of the plane that crashed killing footballer Emiliano Sala was not licensed to fly the aircraft, a report has found.

Sala, 28, and pilot David Ibbotson died in the crash in the English Channel, two days after the Argentine signed for Cardiff City in January 2019.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch published its findings on Friday.

It said Sala would have been "deeply unconscious" from carbon monoxide poisoning at the time.

Chief Inspector of Air Accidents Crispin Orr said it had been a "long and complex" investigation, and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) was probing whether had been breaches of the Air Navigation Order.

The Sala family said they were "grateful" the report had been published but said it left "many questions" to be answered at the upcoming inquest.

"It is crucial that the information held by the police and which went into compiling this report now be made available to the coroner and in turn to the family," they added in a statement.

They said they "remain distraught by their loss" but were determined to "find the full truth of how and why he died".

Cardiff City FC said the club was "encouraged to read that the CAA is determined to tackle illegal activities by pursuing those involved".

Sala was travelling from Nantes, in France, to Cardiff on 21 January 2019, when the single-engine Piper Malibu N264DB aircraft in which he was travelling lost contact with air traffic control north of Guernsey.

Mr Ibbotson lost control of the plane while descending to avoid cloud and he was probably also affected by carbon monoxide, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) concluded.

The plane began to break up in mid-air as the pilot tried to regain control, investigators found.

His efforts to pull up from its final dive caused the tail fin and then the outer edges of both wings to shear off before it hit the sea near Guernsey at an estimated 270mph (434kph).

The AAIB report found Mr Ibbotson, 59, of Crowle in North Lincolnshire, was not qualified to fly at night and was inexperienced at using the plane's instruments, rather than flying by sight.

His rating for that type of aircraft had expired in November 2018, invalidating his licence for flying that plane.

"Significant evidence" was found that Mr Ibbotson had been expecting to be paid for the flight, despite not being licensed to carry passengers.

The investigation concluded that "neither the plane nor the pilot had the required licences or permissions to operate commercially".

The plane's autopilot had been diagnosed as having an intermittent fault and should have been labelled "inoperative".

'I'm scared'
Sala was heading to his first training session with Cardiff City since signing for them in a £15m deal.

A voice message to close friends in Argentina, in which he says, "I'm in a plane that seems to be falling apart," and ending, "I'm scared," was sent while the plane was taxiing on the runway.

The plane took off from Nantes Atlantique Airport at 19:15 GMT on 21 January.

It disappeared from radar 22 nautical miles north of Guernsey around an hour later.

Sala's body was found in the plane wreckage on the seabed in early February. A post-mortem examination found he died from head and trunk injuries.

Mr Ibbotson's body has never been found.

Dave Edwards, chief executive of the Air Charter Association, said of the findings: "This flight was clearly an illegal charter, something we've said for a long time needs to stop.

"I think what's most sad is that there were probably about seven opportunities throughout the sequence where this flight could have stopped, and in a commercial environment it would have stopped, but in this case it just carried on through those levels until the ultimate moment of impact.

"Everything that could go wrong sadly did go wrong."

Radar and simulator evidence, photographs and video footage of the wreckage enabled investigators to piece together its trajectory in the four-and-a-half minutes between the pilot's final contact with air traffic control and the moment when it crashed.

They believe carbon monoxide (CO) was leaking into the cabin through the plane's heating system from the exhaust.

Toxicology tests on Sala's blood found sufficient levels to cause a seizure, heart attack or unconsciousness.

"The pathologist considered he would almost certainly have been deeply unconscious at impact," the report states.

But it is thought Mr Ibbotson was still conscious and flying the plane in the final moments of the flight.

The AAIB's report includes a number of recommendations for aviation regulatory bodies, including a call for audible CO detectors to be fitted in all planes.

A pre-inquest review is scheduled to be held at Bournemouth Coroner's Court on Monday.

Okay - so here it is - note the following passages:

It said Sala would have been "deeply unconscious" from carbon monoxide poisoning at the time.

They believe carbon monoxide (CO) was leaking into the cabin through the plane's heating system from the exhaust.

Toxicology tests on Sala's blood found sufficient levels to cause a seizure, heart attack or unconsciousness.

Okay - now for the strange bits;

Mr Ibbotson lost control of the plane while descending to avoid cloud and he was probably also affected by carbon monoxide, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) concluded.

The plane began to break up in mid-air as the pilot tried to regain control, investigators found.

His efforts to pull up from its final dive caused the tail fin and then the outer edges of both wings to shear off before it hit the sea near Guernsey at an estimated 270mph (434kph).

But it is thought Mr Ibbotson was still conscious and flying the plane in the final moments of the flight.

Carbon Monoxide is a horrible deadly gas - yet we have one person in the plane who has a high percentage in his body and would have been 'deeply unconscious' but the pilot, who in theory would be closer to the engine and any leaking exhaust being up the front of the plane where the exhaust vents are, (the plane is a single engined piston powered by an engine at the front) was 'thought to be still conscious and flying the plane in its final moments' yet both men were in the same cabin? Something doesn't compute there. Carbon monoxide isn't a selective killer, it doesnt differentiate between humans, it affects the heamoglobin levels of all individuals affected. You dont see house tragedies where carbon monoxide is involved where one survives and not the other.

I cant get my head around it - unless someone can explain it to me. :?:

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:48 pm

I am being told time and time again from day one Emiliano Sala was not insured .

And just say even if Emiliano Sala was insured it was void due to the pilot not having a valid license.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:55 pm

Depends on gas volume and leak site maybe. Didn’t the gas enter through the planes heating system.. and CO doesn’t affect haemoglobin levels as such, but rather it’s receptor capacity to transport oxygen..

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:49 pm

You are right, it has nothing to do with the contract dispute with Nantes.

If the club signed a player from Liverpool and then a few days later decided to go home to pack up his stuff. He then decided to get in a taxi to Cardiff to get ready for his first training session. The taxi crashed and killed them on the way there and it later turned out the driver did not have a valid licence - it has no affect on the contractual agreement with Liverpool.

Suing the taxi company for damages after the payment is settled is something that could be looked into. However if the taxi company has nothing to it's name then it will be a fruitless exercise.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:19 pm

Dean I understand your analogy , but from what I can see - the dispute is whether the contract was complete.
If the contract stated that once he signed and international clearance given etc then he would be a city player. If all points in the agreement had not been completed - then the contract would be deemed not a contract.

It comes down to contract law - notoriously a grey area. And from what I remember the club are saying the contract was not complete because of various inaccuracies etc.

Re the plane - whoever booked the flight cant be to blame - as they would have no knowledge if the pilot was licenced or not, they also had no control of who would be flying.

surely the person that appointed Ibbotson to fly the plane is at fault and whoever is responsible for the health and safety of the plane is at fault - or rather whoever signed the certificate of flight etc. There will be claim and counter claim going on for years here

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:04 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... death.html

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:04 am

This stinks to me! What was the name of the pilot who first put in flight plan? It wasn't Ibbotson, he pulled out,probaby refusing to fly that tin pot airplane, I read earlier the pilot tried to pull up at such an angle,the plane broke up,an expert said it would be a hard manoeuvre even with a military jet!! I guess he perhaps came around for a split second, realised they were headed towards the sea,and yanked the steering in an effort to avoid the inevitable,I have little sympathy with the pilot,who in their right mind would take that plane up again,after reporting several faults (4)? Surely he couldn't have been that desperate for a little cash? In effect by his negligence,a young man with a bright career in front of him,lost his life,no wonder he text about being scared,with a plane that felt as if it was falling apart :sad7: :old: :bluebird:

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:15 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Dean I understand your analogy , but from what I can see - the dispute is whether the contract was complete.
If the contract stated that once he signed and international clearance given etc then he would be a city player. If all points in the agreement had not been completed - then the contract would be deemed not a contract.

It comes down to contract law - notoriously a grey area. And from what I remember the club are saying the contract was not complete because of various inaccuracies etc.

Re the plane - whoever booked the flight cant be to blame - as they would have no knowledge if the pilot was licenced or not, they also had no control of who would be flying.

surely the person that appointed Ibbotson to fly the plane is at fault and whoever is responsible for the health and safety of the plane is at fault - or rather whoever signed the certificate of flight etc. There will be claim and counter claim going on for years here

Rees, FIFA explained why the contract was completed. Cardiff had the impression that in order to be a valid contract, then he had to be registered with the Premier League, but that wasn't the case.

Cardiff then went after Nantes via the French authorities citing vicarious liability - but for that to happen Cardiff were essentially admitting that he was their player and an asset of the club.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:26 am

DeanWilliams80 wrote:

If the club signed a player from Liverpool and then a few days later decided to go home to pack up his stuff. He then decided to get in a taxi to Cardiff to get ready for his first training session. The taxi crashed and killed them on the way there and it later turned out the driver did not have a valid licence - it has no affect on the contractual agreement with Liverpool.

Suing the taxi company for damages after the payment is settled is something that could be looked into. However if the taxi company has nothing to it's name then it will be a fruitless exercise.

I've used that exact analogy myself.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:51 am

bluesince62 wrote:This stinks to me! What was the name of the pilot who first put in flight plan? It wasn't Ibbotson, he pulled out,probaby refusing to fly that tin pot airplane, I read earlier the pilot tried to pull up at such an angle,the plane broke up,an expert said it would be a hard manoeuvre even with a military jet!! I guess he perhaps came around for a split second, realised they were headed towards the sea,and yanked the steering in an effort to avoid the inevitable,I have little sympathy with the pilot,who in their right mind would take that plane up again,after reporting several faults (4)? Surely he couldn't have been that desperate for a little cash? In effect by his negligence,a young man with a bright career in front of him,lost his life,no wonder he text about being scared,with a plane that felt as if it was falling apart :sad7: :old: :bluebird:

It was Henderson, a man who has barely said a word since the incident. I wonder why? Got a feeling he was hired by the lovely agent WM, Henderson decided against it so he got Ibbotson to step in. He prob thought he could get away with it, but Sala took too long sorting things out that day and before he knew it it was dark and the weather Was getting worse by the minute. Doomed. I hope they go after Henderson and WM, I wonder if Nantes were involved also?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:07 am

Carbon Monoxide can act differently on separate people due to fitness and body mass. ( look it up ) very sad.

Why the hell would Ibbitson get in a plane he knew was faulty? Which begs the question WAS it him who flew it over to France or was it Henderson ?

Are Cardiff now in the position of having to take a civil action against the estate of Ibbitson for £15m.? ( Never get the money )

Still no answers of how did Ibbitson walk on to the French airfield ( air side ) with a expired licence.

Mafia involvement as the Sala family stated.?? Seemed enough dodgy people involved for there to be something in this.!!

Many many questions that will sadly for the family remain unanswered.

Hope the agents and middlemen somehow find their conscious and come clean , maybe financially support the family trust set up by Cardiff but doubt it very much.

French authorities swept their raid on Nantes owner offices under the mat. ( Mafia involvement??)

RIP both as personally I think they are both victim's of others greed..

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:35 am

DeanWilliams80 wrote:

Your right this doesn't have any affect on the contractual dispute. That said it could be very significant in any negligence claim especially as it is reported that the pilot informed 'other individuals' that there were serious problems with the plane on the inward flight and no action was taken.

The contractual dispute revolves around the fact that Sala was not registered with the Premier League. Nantes had made it a condition that Sala must only be sold to a Premier League club so the transfer was arguably not completed until he was registered with the PL.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:39 am

Forever Blue wrote:I am being told time and time again from day one Emiliano Sala was not insured .

And just say even if Emiliano Sala was insured it was void due to the pilot not having a valid license.

I have heard the same for sometime now and you wonder why if Sala was in insured why CCFC just didn't claim on their insurance?

Not sure if CCFC insurance would be invalid as the insurance company would have to prove that CCFC knew Sala was flying with an uninsured pilot. That said the insurance company could go after whoever allowed the flight to go ahead especially as the pilot informed 'other people' that there was serious problems with the plane on the inward flight.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:35 am

Forever Blue wrote:I am being told time and time again from day one Emiliano Sala was not insured .

As it stands then Sala was not our player, as the required paperwork was not complete, so in that case he would not be insured by CCFC

If it is proved otherwise then that is when the insurance should kick in.

Whether the insurance company will fight that or not is another question

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:40 am

DeanWilliams80 wrote:
ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Dean I understand your analogy , but from what I can see - the dispute is whether the contract was complete.

Rees, FIFA explained why the contract was completed. Cardiff had the impression that in order to be a valid contract, then he had to be registered with the Premier League, but that wasn't the case.

Cardiff then went after Nantes via the French authorities citing vicarious liability - but for that to happen Cardiff were essentially admitting that he was their player and an asset of the club.

Wouldn’t read too much into the FIFA ruling.
The hearing was a farce and the Court of Arbitration will be a more thorough judgement.

Watch this space...

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:47 am

Lawnmower wrote:
DeanWilliams80 wrote:

The hearing was a farce and the Court of Arbitration will be a more thorough judgement.

Watch this space...

FIFA are the highest governing body in our sport. Their findings were comprehensive, im not sure how they could be more thorough. They listed each clubs arguments and said exactly why their decision was made, not sure how anyone can argue otherwise, the document is very detailed and compelling.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:48 am

JulesK wrote:Carbon Monoxide can act differently on separate people due to fitness and body mass. ( look it up ) very sad.

Why the hell would Ibbitson get in a plane he knew was faulty? Which begs the question WAS it him who flew it over to France or was it Henderson ?

Are Cardiff now in the position of having to take a civil action against the estate of Ibbitson for £15m.? ( Never get the money )

Still no answers of how did Ibbitson walk on to the French airfield ( air side ) with a expired licence.

Mafia involvement as the Sala family stated.?? Seemed enough dodgy people involved for there to be something in this.!!

Many many questions that will sadly for the family remain unanswered.

Hope the agents and middlemen somehow find their conscious and come clean , maybe financially support the family trust set up by Cardiff but doubt it very much.

French authorities swept their raid on Nantes owner offices under the mat. ( Mafia involvement??)

RIP both as personally I think they are both victim's of others greed..

Nantes chairman still under investigation.

This isn’t going to be put to bed for a long time.

I know I’m a one eyed City fan but from what I’ve been told our club are completely in the right over this and we really should wait and see what comes out as there is a lot we don’t know regarding this awful tragedy

I don’t understand why so many people on the outside are so bothered by who pays what. It won’t bring the lad back .

What difference does it make to anyone away from City/ Nantes who gets the money

Makes you wonder if the comments are being driven by an agenda of hate towards our club or owners

I wonder how many apologies there will be when the truth comes out ?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:49 am

Lawnmower wrote:

As it stands then Sala was not our player, as the required paperwork was not complete, so in that case he would not be insured by CCFC

That’s the thing, it was completed and in full.

The fact the club are saying he was/is not their player means they did not take insurance out. You cannot insure another clubs player.

This is why in the last set of accounts they included the £18m they will likely owe, it will come from the club not the insurers because he quite clearly wasn’t insured - which is why we are where we are with it.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:50 am

DeanWilliams80 wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
DeanWilliams80 wrote:

Watch this space...

FIFA are the highest governing body in our sport. Their findings were comprehensive, im not sure how they could be more thorough. They listed each clubs arguments and said exactly why their decision was made, not sure how anyone can argue otherwise, the document is very detailed and compelling.

Doesn’t deal with the legality of the contract at all.

I don’t want to break any confidences but the whole hearing was a farce.

Wait and see.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:52 am

DeanWilliams80 wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:

That’s the thing, it was completed and in full.

The fact the club are saying he was/is not their player means they did not take insurance out. You cannot insure another clubs player.

This is why in the last set of accounts they included the £18m they will likely owe, it will come from the club not the insurers because he quite clearly wasn’t insured - which is why we are where we are with it.

The club have to make that provision in their accounts ( it was actually £19.5m) under the prudence rule

Doesn’t automatically mean they have to pay it.

Again, stop presuming and guessing .. wait and see.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:53 am

DeanWilliams80 wrote:

Watch this space...

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:53 am

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 am

Lawnmower wrote:
DeanWilliams80 wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:
DeanWilliams80 wrote:

Watch this space...

Doesn’t deal with the legality of the contract at all.

I don’t want to break any confidences but the whole hearing was a farce.

Wait and see.

The hearing is documented for everyone to read and in the public domain.

Contract law doesn’t deal with illegalities as contracts aren’t illegal. They are either valid or invalid.

There is no reason at all to support the clubs claims that they are invalid. It’s explained in detail as to why in the document. All contracts were binding, signed and completed.

Cardiff would likely have wanted to amend it however due to them wanting Sala to play in the Premier League. But that doesn’t impact on anything really.