Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

No names of victims

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Anybody else think it is very strange that with over 20 victims in this country and hundreds across Europe, not one name of a victim or picture of relatives mourning has been shown as far as I can see?
Vert little knowledge of areas or hospitals of where they died.

I also dont know a single person who has had it or even believes they have it.

Normally the tabloids are all over things like that but not a single word this time. All seems very strange

Re: No names of victims

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06 pm

No

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:52 pm

Either the press have been instructed to respect the privacy of the victims families or not to name the victims or localities for fear of creating panic in those areas.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:07 pm

spikeferndale wrote:Either the press have been instructed to respect the privacy of the victims families or not to name the victims or localities for fear of creating panic in those areas.

Not aimed at you but why do we need to know anything other than locations?

It's getting more and more like the Victorian ages, when people were only interested in the more macabre points to any incident :(

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:19 pm

Sven wrote:
spikeferndale wrote:Either the press have been instructed to respect the privacy of the victims families or not to name the victims or localities for fear of creating panic in those areas.

It's getting more and more like the Victorian ages, when people were only interested in the more macabre points to any incident :(

I'm not interested in names at all , I'd rather not know but given the way the media has acted on other awful events over the years and the lack of respect shown it just seems very different for this virus for some reason. It's like a total blackout of information regarding the people affected

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:48 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Sven wrote:

I'm not interested in names at all , I'd rather not know but given the way the media has acted on other awful events over the years and the lack of respect shown it just seems very different for this virus for some reason. It's like a total blackout of information regarding the people affected

Similarly wasn't aimed at you, fella :thumbright:

I'm not sure but I can say there has been a concerted silence from certain authorities, inc. the emergency services to this point

Lots of meetings have been held and little real information divulged; even to their own staffs

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:06 am

Press are not naming the survivors either.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:14 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:Press are not naming the survivors either.

Even though you are trying to be clever that is still a valid point.
Dont get me wrong I dont want any of the info and would rather not know but If anything happens in this world like a terrorist attack , a bomb being dropped or knife attacks etc , the papers are normally falling over themselves to get info about them or Interviews with family members , pictures of hospitals , pictures of damage or carnage caused. This is totally different as there is not one picture that I can see of a british hospital ward or person with it. Not one interview with a family member , not one rumour of anybody local dying . It's all very very strange.

You have to wonder why they are not naming people as there are couple of well known newspapers who have not given a shit about anything in the past

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:43 am

If it’s strange, that’s because we’ve all come to expect low standards from them.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:49 am

Names aren’t important, but to be fair to you I would agree that it would be very informative for us to be told Atleast their ages and exact health condition before being in a bad way.

Is it 100% just the elderly with underlying health conditions that are dying from it? Because if there is just ONE death which is a healthy young person, that changes the perspective massively.

I’m actually a bit worried how there’s no stats about that. Makes it look like they’re hiding it.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:56 am

LeonSDC wrote:Names aren’t important, but to be fair to you I would agree that it would be very informative for us to be told Atleast their ages and exact health condition before being in a bad way.

Is it 100% just the elderly with underlying health conditions that are dying from it? Because if there is just ONE death which is a healthy young person, that changes the perspective massively.

I’m actually a bit worried how there’s no stats about that. Makes it look like they’re hiding it.

All deaths have been over 70 with pre existing medical conditions. That's clearly available in the media.

Also says of the 10 yesterday, 8 were male and over 80 and again had pre existing medical conditions.

Names probably being withheld to stop even more overreaction from the many Muppets in this country.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:01 am

LeonSDC wrote:Names aren’t important, but to be fair to you I would agree that it would be very informative for us to be told Atleast their ages and exact health condition before being in a bad way.

A virus has no idea of the age of the person it infects. I have read of a 19 year old being infected (not in the UK) but younger people generally have a more efficient immune system than us oldies. Percentage of deaths is relatively low. Check out the figures for China, the number of people known to be infected and the number of deaths. Think it would surprise a lot of people and not the sort of figures our media want to hear. They are only interested in the bad side of things, and they will be gutted when this Coronavirus is beaten.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:21 am

thomasblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:Press are not naming the survivors either.

Even though you are trying to be clever that is still a valid point.
Dont get me wrong I dont want any of the info and would rather not know but If anything happens in this world like a terrorist attack , a bomb being dropped or knife attacks etc , the papers are normally falling over themselves to get info about them or Interviews with family members , pictures of hospitals , pictures of damage or carnage caused. This is totally different as there is not one picture that I can see of a british hospital ward or person with it. Not one interview with a family member , not one rumour of anybody local dying . It's all very very strange.

You have to wonder why they are not naming people as there are couple of well known newspapers who have not given a shit about anything in the past

Rarely agree with you regarding football but I think you make a valid and well observed point here.

It does seem strange that rags like the sun would normally be all over this even to the effect of interviewing the next door neighbours dog of the person who has died!

I can only think that there must be a government directive to all media outlets regarding this point.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:22 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:

A virus has no idea of the age of the person it infects. I have read of a 19 year old being infected (not in the UK) but younger people generally have a more efficient immune system than us oldies. Percentage of deaths is relatively low. Check out the figures for China, the number of people known to be infected and the number of deaths. Think it would surprise a lot of people and not the sort of figures our media want to hear. They are only interested in the bad side of things, and they will be gutted when this Coronavirus is beaten.

Exactly Steve. And of the ones infected 81% are showing mild symptoms. Some don't even realise they have it.

However, they are highly infectious and it is dangerous to oldies, especially ones with pre existing heart or respiratory conditions. These conditions are more common in males, which is why more males have died...

Or to flip for the non doom merchants, very rare in children or the majority of adults, which is why hardly any have died.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:27 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Well yeah It’s fairly obvious all ages are getting it, kids show little to no symptoms, but I would like to know that if anywhere in the world what the youngest and healthiest person who has died is, in regards to age and health.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:34 am

LeonSDC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Well yeah It’s fairly obvious all ages are getting it, kids show little to no symptoms, but I would like to know that if anywhere in the world what the youngest and healthiest person who has died is, in regards to age and health.

WHO did a fairly comprehensive study of the early cases in China. Can't give an exact age. But 0.2% of people infected aged 10-39 died. Very low and wouldn't be surprised that they also had pre existing conditions such as sever asthma. In the early days only one had died under the age of 19.

"The death toll skews old even more strongly. Overall, China CDC found, 2.3% of confirmed cases died. But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39."

Here's the article...
https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who ... c-factors/

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:47 am

LeonSDC wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

The youngest person I have read about who has died was 36, and I have also read of a 7 year old currently recovering. I expect there is plenty more information out there. To be honest I don't read many of the articles because I know the media will only concentrate on worse case scenarios. As others have noticed, the media are not interested in anyone who has recovered. Sounds to me as if the younger generation have very little to worry about. If I was a youngster my biggest concern would be not getting as much time off from my school as friends who attend other schools.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:47 am

thomasblue wrote:Anybody else think it is very strange that with over 20 victims in this country and hundreds across Europe, not one name of a victim or picture of relatives mourning has been shown as far as I can see?
Vert little knowledge of areas or hospitals of where they died.

I also dont know a single person who has had it or even believes they have it.

Normally the tabloids are all over things like that but not a single word this time. All seems very strange

I hadn’t really noticed but your spot on and it is very strange.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:32 pm

If I kicked the bucket they say.68 year old underlying health problems.
They would.nt say he had mild asthma,worked out most days and a healthy diet.etc etc
A few hundred cases like this and there would be mass panic

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:38 pm

Here you go, name and pics. Nothing mysterious at all

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... m-11958030

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:33 pm

ElGwapo wrote:Here you go, name and pics. Nothing mysterious at all

You beat me to it. Tin foil brigade are out.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:34 pm

Pennydarrenblue wrote:

Nothing tin foil about it. It was a general observation that the papers were very quiet up until this evening regarding victims

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:36 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Pennydarrenblue wrote:

Nothing tin foil about it. It was a general observation that the papers were very quiet up until this evening regarding victims

Course not.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:30 pm

Strange .

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:27 pm

*Cue X-Files music*