Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How would you complete the season fairly ?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:20 am

Lots of talk over the last few days about leagues being made null and void and starting the league again next season. This in my opinion will have financial implications for all club’s involved and also I don’t see how you can start a new season when the other ones still not finished with it being so far gone.

Some ideas I thought -

Move the Euros till next summer.

Scrap the remaining rounds of the FA Cup - pay the relevant prize money to those that have been knocked out as normal - for those sides that are left divide the remaining prize money equally.

Complete all league games playing weekends and mid week (if some games have to be played behind closed doors the so be it)

European competitions you could adopt the same process as the FA Cup for this season.

Next season make all cup competitions one game if not decided over 90 minutes extra time then penalties.

European competitions scrap all group stages and again make straight knockout and make it FA Cuo style draw so you could have some potentially minnow upsets.

Any other suggestions purely on football based reasons not other teams that you might want to screw over :lol:

Re: How would you complete the season fairly ?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:30 am

They've actually got a perfect opportunity to align the seasons.

They have to mess around with the leagues in 2022 anyway for the world cup in Qatar so why not just move it all now.

They can finish this season from the end of the summer then start the next season in the January of 2021 finishing in the November. That would mean a longer break this year but would fall into place for the 2022 world cup schedule which is due around the November/December time. They van then have another longer break to move it back or leave it through the summer keeping the winter break

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:37 am

I am doubtful that we will be looking at a resumption of sport before July at the earliest. This causes a problem with players whose contracts end in June. There will also be concerns over player fitness (assuming training has been possible at all).

It might be more sensible to simply abandon the current season as is. No promotion or relegation as you cant really have one without the other and with so many games to go positions can change drastically. All cup competitions cancelled.

Plan to start a new season as normal in August. But prepare for a January start in the event that the pandemic continues.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:42 am

I don't know the answer but rest assured all the sponsors and media companies opinion will have to be taken into account.A lot of players contracts are up on the 1st of June too.The question you gotta ask yourself is"at what point on the curve do you deem it safe for crowds to come back in any sport."

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:07 pm

I think you have to complete the season.
The problem is the money involved in promotion to and from the Premier league and the possible legal ramifications if the season is abandoned or if current league positions are used. Football is big business now
The other point is making sure lower league clubs survive its been estimated on average they will lose £400,000 in gate receipts so to support the 48 clubs it would cost just under 20m surely the Premier league/Premier league clubs could help out with this.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:29 pm

The games have to be played or worse case voided in my opinion.

I just dont see how finishing it as is can be a possibility.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:39 pm

Keep things as they stand in all leagues but to sort out the relegation and promotion we will have the 3 teams currently in the relegation spots in the premier league facing the top 3 teams in the championship with the winner goes to the Premier League and loser goes to the Championship.

Now I know what your thinking how are we going to sort out the 3rd team in the championship well you have a normal play-off with only 1 leg until there is a winner and then that team will face the final team who is in the relegation spot in the Premier League.

And do the same system from Championship downwards.

Simple Solution:
WINNER GOES TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
LOSER GOES TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP

BOURNEMOUTH v LEEDS
ASTON VILLA v WEST BROM
NORWICH v PLAY-OFF WINNER

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:22 pm

My solution would be to finish this season in the middle of next season. Obviously it would make things very complicated for some teams as you could be promoted and relegated in the same season but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:23 pm

My solution would be to finish this season in the middle of next season. Obviously it would make things very complicated for some teams as you could be promoted and relegated in the same season but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:47 pm

I like SamRean idea above. I have something along similar lines.

Something I think

Season stops now - and positions stay the same as they are

Premier League
18th - Play Off (h) to Champ 9th
19th - Relegated
20th - Relegated

Championship
1st - Promoted
2nd - Promoted
3rd - Play Off (h) to Champ 8th
4th - Play Off (h) to Champ 7th
5th - Play Off (h) to Champ 6th
6th - Play Off (a) to Champ 5th
7th - Play off (a) to Champ 4th
8th - Play Off (a) to Champ 3rd
9th - Play Off (a) to Prem 18th

If scores are level at 90 mins - Extra Time Applies - If Scores level Home Team Qualifies
(effectively meaning Away team has to go for the win)

4 teams qualify
Highest team (h) -v- Lowest team
2nd team (h) -v- 3rd Team

Final
Winners of both games play off for final Premier League Space.

The Aim
Teams outside relegation spot will be happy - as they stay up
Teams in last relegation spot get a chance to stay up
Both teams in promotion spot will be happy - as they go up
Teams down to 9th get opportunity of promotion (as they may have made play offs)
Lower the team though harder the route to get the 1 promotion spot

7 games - all behind closed doors (But on TV) - to determine next seasons line up
(as opposed to 90 odd games remaining)

with something similar for each league.

Disclaimer:

At the time of writing I hadnt actually realised we were 9th but if we were our promotion route would be
1) Away to Bournemouth - if lose/draw we are out
2) if win - Away to either Fulham of Brentford - if lose/draw we are out
3) if win - final play off match.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Put the Euros back a year. Finish the season when able to do so using all available midweeks where possible. Start next season late, scrap any two legged tournaments with first out the hat given home advantage and no away goals etc.

Only league winners in next seasons CL, jazz it up a bit.

Shit ideas tbf.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:16 pm

IMO season will resume either 2nd week into April or start of May. All games to be played behind closed doors however most of them will be on tv Sky/BT etc.

They won’t be allowed to be shown in pubs and the 3pm Saturday being shown will be relaxed this season.

All matches will be completed by end of May and preseason will start at the beginning of August with season start first week of Sept.

Unfortunately a lot of players will be released on frees at the end of their contracts.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:06 pm

The premier league teams haven't even played the same amount of games so the current positions aren't even fair.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:25 pm

Stopping the league now and doing play offs now would also be unfair as some sides may be in false positions due to the teams they have played.

You could have a team that has the top teams to play and another side having the lower teams to play,

Plus you have teams that traditionally crash and burn and also teams that come with late runs.

However you do it and for the integrity of football you have to finish the season. There is no other way IMO.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:32 pm

Scratch it and leave a space on the winners boards / trophies like in the war years.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Have to end season as is and start new season in August as normal next time round. Cant please everyone. Cant promote or relegate any one or give titles to anyone. Just write it off. Who knows how long this will last.

We cant move the euros to accommodate the domestic game as to move all those supporters who have tickets and booked hotels flights would be more disruptive.

I can only see all sport out of action until at least end of June

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Scrap the season
A liverspew don't win nothing this season :laughing6:
b weeds stay in championship :laughing6:

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:52 pm

The simple answer is unless the games are started on the beginning of April (Not much chance ) there will be no chance of finishing the season this season.
Null and void is the only sensible answer unfortunately.As they say ‘dust ourselves down and go again’ in August.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:15 pm

I would finish the season now and every team stays in the division they are in apart from us.We go up and Villa go down.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:21 pm

If they cancel the season and say just restart it next year does that mean we will be rid of Harris and have Warnock back in charge ?

On a low note we would also have Madine in the squad and Jazz would still be injured