Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tan, the Berjaya Group and the Coronavirus

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:11 pm

This is going to be a tough time for football clubs around the world, especially those still carrying costs over from the Premier League. I think unless the FA or even FIFA step in, then we may not have the same football teams around prior to the pandemic than we will have after it.

Having an owner like Tan certainly can help, but I do wonder what his plan of action will be with the effect this is having on his net worth and his company at large. The Berjaya Group shares have plummeted over 50% in the last 5 years and 21% drop in the last month alone. With the type of business it is (investments, property, hotels and resorts) you can only imagine in this global crisis that is going to plummet further from here on in.

Our American owners certainly won't be footing our bills that's for sure :lol:

Re: Tan, the Berjaya Group and the Coronavirus

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 pm

Looking at the company notes. Tan acquired a further 9 million shares 5 days ago, and another million 2 days prior.

He looks to be gambling on the fact that the companies share price is almost at a 5 year low and hoping that it recovers and he can then cash in the shares a higher value.

Very risky strategy with the virus being an unknown with no fixed date of recovery.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:00 am

Well to be fair you lot are used to not paying your bills. :bluescarf:

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:10 am

FFS. Isn't that what playing the market is?! I'm not going to buy when they're at their highest and sell at their lowest (facepalm).

The figures you quote are peanuts to him.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:15 am

Premier clubs could help the smaller clubs as no one else will but private rail franchise demand government money after just hiking their fares and Virgin Airlines also demand government money after sitting back and letting part of their group Flybe go down the pan, bet these companies CEO's are not taking unpaid leave, they should be having enough put away to offset the down times not run to government.

Another way around it is take all the prize money from EFL and lower share it out equality and scrap season.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:46 am

jimmy_rat wrote:FFS. Isn't that what playing the market is?! I'm not going to buy when they're at their highest and sell at their lowest (facepalm).

The figures you quote are peanuts to him.

Playing the market when there is a degree of certainty can be a good strategy yes. Playing the market when we are in a complete unknown quantity could be seen as desperate and reckless. We are just at the start of this whole thing, it’s almost a guarantee that share price will dip further, seems an odd thing to do.

Unless it was done as a cash injection to keep the company afloat. Sounds far more plausible.