Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sheffield United players & manager didn't like Oli McBurnie

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:12 am

Why Sheffield United players and manager didn't like Oli McBurnie as striker opens up on Swansea City transfer and Cardiff City controversy

The former Swansea City striker has opened up on his summer move to Sheffield United in an honest behind-the-scenes interview

By Tom Coleman

Monday 16th March 2020

Former Swansea City striker Oli McBurnie admits he's perhaps been guilty of forgetting his responsibilities as a footballer, but claims the 'aggro' he dished out as a player was a key factor in catching the eye of Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder.

The Scotland international arrived at Bramall Lane for a club-record fee of £17million last summer, having been one of Swansea's shining lights under former boss Graham Potter.

McBurnie has become a big favourite with Blades fans, who have watched on with astonishment as their side continue to hover around the Champions League places.

The former Bradford City prospect enjoyed a strong relationship with Swansea's Jack Army too during his time in SA1, and has even mixed in with fans on a handful of away days this season.

As well as an appearance at Loftus Road for Swansea's clash with QPR earlier in the season, McBurnie turned up to cheer on his former team alongside current centre-back Joe Rodon in the South Wales derby at Cardiff City Stadium.

However, the striker caused controversy, after appearing to make "offensive gestures" towards Cardiff City fans, with Blades boss Wilder responding by reminding the player of his responsibilities.

And, in a unique behind-the-scenes interview for SUTV , McBurnie admits that he still struggles to deal with the sense of responsibility that comes with being a Premier League footballer.

"I get seen a lot more than other people, because of the situations I get myself into," he said.

"But people have to remember I'm a 23-year-old lad, living back at home for the first time since I was 17.

"I'm around my friends again so it's hard sometimes, remembering the responsibilities you have.

"But it's all worth it at the end of the day.

"You've got to remember you're in the public eye a lot, and everything you're seen doing has an effect on other people. And your image as well."

McBurnie often wears his heart on his sleeve as a player too, and claims an on-the-pitch bust-up with Wilder when he was still playing for the Swans actually helped win over the Blades boss.

He added: "I remember my agent rang me and said Sheffield United were interested along with a couple of other clubs.

"Then he was like 'oh the manager up there loves you', and I was thinking 'I swear me and the manager had a bit of aggro last year when we played each other with Swansea'. And he was like 'yeah that's what he loves about you'.

"I spoke to the gaffer a couple of times and he just made feel really wanted and really loved.

"He said that every time they'd played against us, the boys didn't really like playing against me.

"He said I'd be a perfect fit for the club and that the fans would love me. That the way they played would suit me.

"You know what the gaffer's like, he can persuade you that a stone's not a stone.

"It was a tough decision to leave Swansea because of everything they'd done for me.

"But the opportunity to play for Sheffield United, back in the Premier League again and under this manager was something that I couldn't turn down.

"It just made sense , it was the perfect move for me and the perfect time of my career.

"Now it's just time to keep putting in the performances and see what we get. Who would've thought we'd be in this position now?

"It's fun. It's a fun journey, and I don't want it to stop. "
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.