Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Cardiff City We have had a Season like this before “

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Season 1962-63 was disrupted by the Big Freeze.

The Pools Panel met for weeks on end because there was no football played in the UK for considerable periods due to heavy snow fall - drifts up to 10 foot in south Wales. I was living in Cwmgragh, West Glamorgan at the time. The village was totally cut off because of the closure of the Rhigos bank road.

Cardiff City, who had been relegated from the top flight (the old Division One) in the spring of 1962, did not play a game from December 26, 1962 - a 4-2 defeat at Plymouth - until February 18, 1963. This was a 1-0 defeat at Charlton in the FA Cup third round.

The competition was eventually won by Manchester United who beat Leicestet 3-1 at Wembley in the final, a team that included Charlton, Law, David Herd and a young John Giles, who found true fame at Leeds.

The Bluebirds did not resume their League season until February 23, 1963, when Chelsea were beaten 1-0 at Ninian Park.

It is interesting that Cardiff played a further 16 League games - ending the season with a 3-0 home thumping of Huddersfield on May 18, 1963.

The murky mists of time reveal a climatic, not a pandemic dilemma, but it also shows how the Football League dealt with re-fitting the fixtures after losing a near two-month playing period.

No undersoil heating - except Arsenal's Highbury Stadium - in those days, of course. This was a time of the Prefumo Scandel and a riddle of the assisnation of JFK, against the menace of the Cuban Missle Crisis, Bay of Pigs and all that!

Re: “ Cardiff City We have had a Season like this before “

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:13 pm

I remember that winter Annis, not so much for the football as I was young and only went to see City when my uncle was home on leave and took me. But our Christmas school holiday was extended by a few weeks as our school had burst pipes and flooded. We didn't care, it was great in all that snow, I bloody hate the stuff now.

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:02 am

I don't remember the winter in question,but my parents told me all about it,I was born a day after they stopped playing (27th),didn't attend a game ubtil 68 though,at the ripe old age of 5! With my dad sitting me on his shoulders :D instilled in me the importance of supporting your local team,not one you would never even attend! We went regularly together for over 35 years, him often in the canton stand,and me in the Grange end,then meet up in the park,pick up the footy echo on way home,those days will be remembered with great fondness,sadly he suffered dementia,and was unable to attend for last 8 years of his life,but I'd chat to him often about the city,in the end he was convinced he didn't even like football bless him. (Rip pops)

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:50 am

Don Keydick wrote:I remember that winter Annis, not so much for the football as I was young and only went to see City when my uncle was home on leave and took me. But our Christmas school holiday was extended by a few weeks as our school had burst pipes and flooded. We didn't care, it was great in all that snow, I bloody hate the stuff now.

:lol:

The funny story is we were relaxed more years ago and did not care so much :lol:

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 am

bluesince62 wrote:I don't remember the winter in question,but my parents told me all about it,I was born a day after they stopped playing (27th),didn't attend a game ubtil 68 though,at the ripe old age of 5! With my dad sitting me on his shoulders :D instilled in me the importance of supporting your local team,not one you would never even attend! We went regularly together for over 35 years, him often in the canton stand,and me in the Grange end,then meet up in the park,pick up the footy echo on way home,those days will be remembered with great fondness,sadly he suffered dementia,and was unable to attend for last 8 years of his life,but I'd chat to him often about the city,in the end he was convinced he didn't even like football bless him. (Rip pops)

Great Days :thumbright: :ayatollah:

RIP :ayatollah: