Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Don’t read this if you don’t want bad news

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:45 am

LeonSDC wrote:I want to make it perfectly clear. I’m not telling everyone to panic. Don’t read the articles I specifically selected if you like, look up whatever you’re concerned about and see what comes up. That’s all I’m saying. Stay informed, look up the things yourselves, I just find that if you rely purely on just the BBC or ITV to get your information, there will be a lot of information missing for their own agenda.

No need to panic, that’s the worst thing that can happen. I just think taking it more seriously will be key to getting over this, whenever that is.

Actually if you had made a point about the death rate amongst the elderly and those with underlying health conditions you may well have had a point. It is estimated that the death rate is around 1% if you include the young and healthy who get infected.

I would imagine the death will be frighteningly higher if you just measured those in vulnerable groups.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:38 am

LeonSDC wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:So you do exactly that... Scare mongering.

You think sharing and linking factual evidence of younger healthy people dying from this as “Spreading Frightening rumours”?

Have you read the articles? Only bothered to read the ages of 25 victims as was genuinely interested. However all but three are over 60, ten of them are in their 80s for crying out loud. Hardly young.

As for that article from the sun. You do realise that's 70 more percent of 1 percent, ie f all. Not 70 percent of people will die?!

Educate yourself.

70% of 2%.

If you read past what you want you will see it says up to 2%. You just read “about 1%” and quit reading.

I don’t need educating mate. The amount of people disregarding all this information is astounding.

“Just a few who are young heathy people have died” and the response from people is “oh it’s just a one off here and there”. A one off means the public outlook that only the sick and elderly are dying is completely wrong. Bare in mind the reports of those young people dying are very old articles, so I doubt very much that those are the only young healthy casualty’s.

Don’t take it out on me that the world is going to pot at the moment.

its not wrong though ..the vast majority who are dying are elderly with under lying medical conditions many with end of life illnesses .
nobody wants any people to die but im afraid death is the end part of life for everyone of us. roughly 55,000 people in the UK died last year, the year before and are going to die this year of a multitude of reasons.. and I would imagine a lot of those who will succumb to corona virus and die would have been in that 55,000 whether corona had arrived here or not..

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:20 am

dogfound wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:

You think sharing and linking factual evidence of younger healthy people dying from this as “Spreading Frightening rumours”?

Have you read the articles? Only bothered to read the ages of 25 victims as was genuinely interested. However all but three are over 60, ten of them are in their 80s for crying out loud. Hardly young.

As for that article from the sun. You do realise that's 70 more percent of 1 percent, ie f all. Not 70 percent of people will die?!

Educate yourself.

70% of 2%.

If you read past what you want you will see it says up to 2%. You just read “about 1%” and quit reading.

I don’t need educating mate. The amount of people disregarding all this information is astounding.

“Just a few who are young heathy people have died” and the response from people is “oh it’s just a one off here and there”. A one off means the public outlook that only the sick and elderly are dying is completely wrong. Bare in mind the reports of those young people dying are very old articles, so I doubt very much that those are the only young healthy casualty’s.

its not wrong though ..the vast majority who are dying are elderly with under lying medical conditions many with end of life illnesses .
nobody wants any people to die but im afraid death is the end part of life for everyone of us. roughly 55,000 people in the UK died last year, the year before and are going to die this year of a multitude of reasons.. and I would imagine a lot of those who will succumb to corona virus and die would have been in that 55,000 whether corona had arrived here or not..

You're right to a large extent :thumbright:

Not all...but many of them. Sadly, as you say it's part of the life cycle :cry:

I don't think anyone is demeaning what's going on or what could be potentially going on with Coronavirus but far too many making out they know the facts when even the authorities are confused and changing their position frequently at this time

I understand and appreciate that. My beef is that LeonSD has decided to take it on himself to be a modern day Lord Haw Haw and is spreading as much negativity, doom and gloom as he can without really having anything other than some (not all and not the majority of) opinions of others to go with

And we now about opinions; they're like backsides...everyone has one! :thumbright:

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:06 am

dogfound wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:

Educate yourself.

70% of 2%.

nobody wants any people to die but im afraid death is the end part of life for everyone of us. roughly 550,000 people in the UK died last year, the year before and are going to die this year of a multitude of reasons.. and I would imagine a lot of those who will succumb to corona virus and die would have been in that 550,000 whether corona had arrived here or not..

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:25 am

Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:

Educate yourself.

70% of 2%.

I don't think anyone is demeaning what's going on or what could be potentially going on with Coronavirus but far too many making out they know the facts when even the authorities are confused and changing their position frequently at this time

I understand and appreciate that. My beef is that LeonSD has decided to take it on himself to be a modern day Lord Haw Haw and is spreading as much negativity, doom and gloom as he can without really having anything other than some (not all and not the majority of) opinions of others to go with

And we now about opinions; they're like backsides...everyone has one! :thumbright:

at present my wifes mother who is 86 is in a bad way, sleeps almost 24 hours now, when awake talks mostly about someone living in her wardrobe , things that happened at work that day to her and friends some of who are dead.. and wonders why we are all in France .? can not get out of bed , is incontinent. eats and drinks barely enough to be alive, if she catches this virus it will kill her and she will undoubtedly be added to the stats but I cant help thinking there are thousands like her who will also die should they get the flu, pneumonia or what ever else there is going about..
that's my opinion...
will add im genuinely shocked at the numbers and the reaction worldwide. what happens if something ten times as deadly emerges in a few years ?

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:29 am

And the scaremongering continues...

Sky news headline.

Coronavirus: 45-year-old father becomes youngest UK victim

Not until you get to the 7th paragraph. He had MND and was given two years to live in 2018. Sad, yes. Unexpected, no.

As dogfound says, it'll be added to the statistics. And used by the media and doomers to suggest that younger people are now dying more readily.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:34 am

dogfound wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:

Educate yourself.

70% of 2%.

its 550, 000. not 55,000

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 am

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
dogfound wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:

Educate yourself.

70% of 2%.

at present my wifes mother who is 86 is in a bad way, sleeps almost 24 hours now, when awake talks mostly about someone living in her wardrobe , things that happened at work that day to her and friends some of who are dead.. and wonders why we are all in France .? can not get out of bed , is incontinent. eats and drinks barely enough to be alive, if she catches this virus it will kill her and she will undoubtedly be added to the stats but I cant help thinking there are thousands like her who will also die should they get the flu, pneumonia or what ever else there is going about..
that's my opinion...
will add im genuinely shocked at the numbers and the reaction worldwide. what happens if something ten times as deadly emerges in a few years ?

Similar with my mum mate. She’s 93, in a care home and has vascular dementia. She calls me Uncle Ernie when she speaks to me and my thoughts are exactly the same as yours.
My son is good mates with a journalist and he’s been told concentrate on the spread of Coronavirus (understandable) and search for the stuff that’s going to get people to read what you write (sensationalism !!!)

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:11 pm

LeonSDC wrote:

Virtually everybody who has died had an underlying, life threatening illness.
The 45 year old in Northampton had Motor Neurone Disease (a terrible thing). He was given 2 years to live in 2018.
The 21 year old football coach in Spain had terminal leukaemia.
I am not saying it's not serious but there is a reason the government are targeting their resources and trying to delay a serious reaction. (Health and economic reasons)

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:50 pm

glas wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:

Virtually everybody who has died had an underlying, life threatening illness.
The 45 year old in Northampton had Motor Neurone Disease (a terrible thing). He was given 2 years to live in 2018.
The 21 year old football coach in Spain had terminal leukaemia.
I am not saying it's not serious but there is a reason the government are targeting their resources and trying to delay a serious reaction. (Health and economic reasons)

Well said. No half facts.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:51 pm

I have just been sent home from work due to being asthmatic and have an autoimmune disease, luckily for me I work for a very good company and am getting full pay, They have made their own decision to send us home for 14 days and review it from there, tbh I didn't want to go, still don't but the decision has been taken from me by family pressuring me. Hopefully I'll get a laptop next week.

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
LeonSDC wrote:

Mate, this isn’t scare mongering. Educate yourself.

I have read the links you have posted and most put the death rate @ 1% or 9 people for every 1000. The official percentage is quoted as 3.4% but this is an over estimation because those who have mild symptoms are not included in the calculations.

If you look at the bigger picture you will find that it is the elderly and those with compromised immune systems who are most at risk.

However, there will be anomalies such as the death of a 29 year old Doctor and another 35 year old. These are 2 deaths out of 6,500 worldwide.

If you are not scaremongering then maybe you should have more perspective and look at the evidence dispassionately.

Exactly before coronavirus people died from age 0 to 130 or whatever the oldest person was, there will always be some fit and on paper healthy people that die?

I believe what I've read and heard in the mainstream news the coronavirus could kill anyone, but just like any other illness, the younger and fitter you are the better the odds of you surviving.

The government are doing the right thing by trying to protect the vulnerable elderly and weak, and if they can that will improve the death toll of this very dangerous virus.