Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T Rishi Sunak

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:07 pm

Got to say, he's been very good in these unprecedented circumstances.

Very calm in his briefings, which is all the more impressive given the extraordinary measures he has had to bring in.

Best we've seen from a Chancellor in a very long time.

I say this as someone who is Labour through and through - but he has been brilliant.

Re: O/T Rishi Sunak

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:12 pm

Agreed mate, he's been very impressive, I tip my hat to Boris aswell, I know lots don't like him and he can come accross as a clown at times but I think he deserves credit

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:21 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Got to say, he's been very good in these unprecedented circumstances.

Very calm in his briefings, which is all the more impressive given the extraordinary measures he has had to bring in.

I say this as someone who is Labour through and through - but he has been brilliant.

Yes, he and a couple of others (Professor Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance) have been great over the last few days and IMHO have helped ease any of the anxieties we have with their precise measured and timely updates

Boris himself, in his inimitable way, could come out of this with great credit thanks to the team he has around him and his willingness to listen to what others (specifically opposition members) have to say on the matter
Each issue that arises has been met with positive action and that just has to be commended. We should now that there will always be some issues in delivery but it won't be for the sake of trying

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:38 pm

Yup, Boris has stepped it up and Sunak has really come across well.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:12 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Got to say, he's been very good in these unprecedented circumstances.

Well said sir.
I thought exactly the same.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:43 pm

Yes.. I also agree with RV Casual, Chris and 2blue2handle.

I have criticised Boris when I've disagreed with his actions.

But he has been very assertive, correct and responsible during his period.

Credit where due to the scientific/medical advisors, the Chancellor and the Prime Minister.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:23 am

Both have performed well,but sunak looks like a guy that has been thrown into this! Not knocking him,so calm down :lol: but he does come across really calm and collected,as the saying goes,looks can be deceiving. :old: :bluebird:

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:46 am

bluesince62 wrote:Both have performed well,but sunak looks like a guy that has been thrown into this! Not knocking him,so calm down :lol: but he does come across really calm and collected,as the saying goes,looks can be deceiving. :old: :bluebird:

See your point and as I say I'm a Labour voter so don't take this praise lightly - assuming my choice for leader Keir Starmer makes a good appointment for Chancellor, I think they'll be a good opposition on that front.

But it has to be said that Sunak has looked very good in his start at the job. If you compare him to previous Chancellors and Shadows - it's a different level since Gordon Brown (the man who stopped us joining the Euro before I get abuse). Brown would also have been a top class Prime Minister if he wasn't preceded by Tony Bliar.. that's not a typo on Bliar.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:45 am

Imagine Corbyn, McDonnell andAbbott dealing with this crisis.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:57 am

Thank god for small mercies it could have been diane abbot.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Jock wrote:Imagine Corbyn, McDonnell andAbbott dealing with this crisis.

I can actually.Theres a load of workers self employed zero hour contract havn't been included.
Its a start but the tories were pushed into this action by the trade unions and labour.
It will be interesting when this money reaches peoples bank accounts.DWP staff have been cut to the bone,as have other government depts,
It currently takes 5 weeks to process claims in normal times,
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:09 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:Both have performed well,but sunak looks like a guy that has been thrown into this! Not knocking him,so calm down :lol: but he does come across really calm and collected,as the saying goes,looks can be deceiving. :old: :bluebird:

See your point and as I say I'm a Labour voter so don't take this praise lightly - assuming my choice for leader Keir Starmer makes a good appointment for Chancellor, I think they'll be a good opposition on that front.

But it has to be said that Sunak has looked very good in his start at the job. If you compare him to previous Chancellors and Shadows - it's a different level since Gordon Brown (the man who stopped us joining the Euro before I get abuse). Brown would also have been a top class Prime Minister if he wasn't preceded by Tony Bliar.. that's not a typo on Bliar.

Gordon Brown sadly didn’t have the charisma that people wanted in their leaders. He was a superb chancellor and is widely credited with formulating the plan that stopped the 2008 crisis being even worse.

To thank him the Tories stopped him from getting a job as head of the IMF which would have been perfect for him.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:28 pm

He who sold the gold about 7bn short.. aye, a real genius. Then he met ‘that dreadful woman’.

Gordon was a moron.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:17 pm

stickywicket wrote:

I can actually.Theres a load of workers self employed zero hour contract havn't been included.
Its a start but the tories were pushed into this action by the trade unions and labour.
It will be interesting when this money reaches peoples bank accounts.DWP staff have been cut to the bone,as have other government depts,

They’ve been pushed into these measures because we face a crisis, not by the unions or labour. Our politics won’t give us immunity We’re in this together

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:08 pm

Jock wrote:
stickywicket wrote:

They’ve been pushed into these measures because we face a crisis, not by the unions or labour. Our politics won’t give us immunity We’re in this together

Either way its a crisis.