DAVE JONES: A FITTING TRIBUTE TO WHIITS

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:32 am

I told Kenny Dalglish to sign Peter Whittingham for Liverpool, I thought Cardiff City legend was that good - former boss Dave Jones
By Glen Williams

The former Bluebirds manager has paid his own tribute to the club stalwart after his tragic death

When Cardiff City fans look back on their transfer dealings over the last 15 years, there will have been far more misses than hits.

But Peter Whittingham was just about the biggest hit the Bluebirds could have gotten.

Signed from Aston Villa for a frankly paltry £350,000 in 2007, no City fan in their wildest imaginations could have anticipated the things ‘Whitts’ would go on to achieve, first at Ninian Park then at Cardiff City Stadium.

He was central to everything positive during a hugely successful period in Cardiff City’s history.

It was Dave Jones, along with then chairman Peter Ridsdale, who was keen to build a young, vibrant squad, who was the man to bring the then 22-year-old down from Villa Park.

“I didn’t think I was going to get him from Villa at one stage,” Jones recalls.

“Martin (O’Neill) was umming and aahing over whether to sell him - it was a bit of a waiting game for us, but in the end, thankfully, we got him.”

Many thousands of City fans who were lucky enough to see him play over that special decade were just as thankful as Jones that the Bluebirds captured the midfielder’s signature.

He hit the ground running in the Welsh capital, an instant hit who only got better with age.

When Jones had finished as Cardiff City manager in 2011, he met with Liverpool great Kenny Dalglish and, over dinner, told him Whittingham was good enough to go to Anfield.

“I remember talking to Kenny Dalglish when Kenny went back to Liverpool as manager,” Jones adds.

“I met him, I had dinner with him, and I told him he should have a look at him. That’s how highly I thought about him.

“I thought he was a Premier League player all day long. But I don’t know if Kenny did ever take a look at him.”

There has been a common theme to the outpouring of emotion which has been so touching since Whittingham’s passing; his dry sense of humour.

It appears to be the one thing, above all else, that people remember about Whittingham, the man, away from the football pitch.

Jones is no different as he recalls one brief exchange with Whitts about changing his position from the left wing to move him more central.

“I remember telling him once that I didn’t think he was an out-and-out left winger,” Jones recalls.

“He wanted to know why and I said: ‘I don’t think you’re quick enough’.

“He said: ‘I think that’s a good enough reason.’

“That’s just the way he was! He was a pleasure to work with.”

When Jones thinks of Whittingham and what he was really like as a person, he is effusive in his praise, as unassuming and classy off the pitch as he was on it.

“People will throw a lot of accolades at him, but he was humble, he was respectful, he had a wiley smile, you knew when he was annoyed even though he didn’t say anything,” Jones laughs.

“But, for me, he was a top player, a delight to work with and I am honoured to have had the opportunity to work with the lad.

“It’s so sad that he’s passed away.”
Attachments
Whitts.jpg
Whitts.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: DAVE JONES: A FITTING TRIBUTE TO WHIITS

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:02 am

I never was a Dave Jones fan, but fair play DJ for me was the one who signed Whitts and has made a lovely statement :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Nuclearblue » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:54 am

Forever Blue wrote:I never was a Dave Jones fan, but fair play DJ for me was the one who signed Whitts and has made a lovely statement :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: Same here Chief
Nuclearblue

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:55 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I never was a Dave Jones fan, but fair play DJ for me was the one who signed Whitts and has made a lovely statement :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: Same here Chief

:thumbright: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluecityblue » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:01 pm

Nice words by the man who brought us our best player of the decade.
bluecityblue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:46 pm

I wasn’t a fan of him as a person but his teams were certainly exciting to watch.
Lovely words.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Chippy82 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:40 pm

bluecityblue wrote:Nice words by the man who brought us our best player of the decade.

And prob best football aswell even tho he was a miserable sod on touchline
Chippy82

Return to General Chat