Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VINCENT TAN: FITTING TRIBUTE TO WHITTS

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:36 am

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan's moving words to fans as Peter Whittingham tragedy rocks entire club
By Glen Williams

Tan has penned a touching message to City fans to express his grief at this awful time

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has paid tribute to Peter Whittingham, believing he ‘inspired a generation’ of young Bluebirds fans.

Tan’s assessment appears in sync with the thousands of City fans who have named Whittingham their favourite ever Cardiff player.

He was the type of player who made the game a joy to watch and rightly earned the praise and respect of all those who watched him, played with him or against him.

And Tan has penned a touching message to City fans to express his grief at this awful time.

“I have been profoundly saddened by yesterday’s terrible news,” he said.

“I found Peter to be the most humble of men, notwithstanding the fact that he was one of our very best and most naturally able footballers.

"We were blessed with his talent at Cardiff City.

“Peter helped inspire a generation of young Cardiff City fans and will continue to do so. His memory will live on and I send my love and heartfelt condolences to his dear family. We will always be here for you.

“Rest in peace Peter. God bless you.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: VINCENT TAN: FITTING TRIBUTE TO WHITTS

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 am

Maybe finally he could give Whitts the testimonial they promised Whitts three years ago :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:50 pm

grange_end1927 wrote:Maybe finally he could give Whitts the testimonial they promised Whitts three years ago :ayatollah: :bluebird:

I'm hearing that they were already/still in discussions for it to happen :thumbup:

Let's hope it does happen as soon as practicable and that we can persuade one of the giant teams (from home or abroad) to come to the CCS and put on a show as a fitting tribute to one of the classiest (and durable) players ever to put on a Cardiff City shirt :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:57 pm

he should have had a testimonial just after he left ..never understood why there wasnt one ..went to mcnaughton one

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Valleyblue56 wrote:he should have had a testimonial just after he left ..never understood why there wasnt one ..went to mcnaughton one

I agree, they should of done it years ago.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Totally agree should have happened a few years ago.
What a fitting tribute to one of our finest to stage a testimonial and the opening of a stand dedicated to Whitts

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Annis even though I thought peter whittingham was let go much to early I was told by a good source at the club that he turned it down because it meant he would have had to organise a lot of it himself I was always under the impression that a committee usually does all that you but which ever was the reason the club should h@ve taken on there own back to organise it for him all I hope that when the football starts back up again I hope they do have a big game for him and all the proceeds go to his family

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:31 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:Annis even though I thought peter whittingham was let go much to early I was told by a good source at the club that he turned it down because it meant he would have had to organise a lot of it himself I was always under the impression that a committee usually does all that you but which ever was the reason the club should h@ve taken on there own back to organise it for him all I hope that when the football starts back up again I hope they do have a big game for him and all the proceeds go to his family

Martyn,

I heard Whitt’s was told he would have to have organised most of it himself :cry:
The clubs usually do the main stuff and a committee is formed .

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:36 pm

Sven wrote:
grange_end1927 wrote:Maybe finally he could give Whitts the testimonial they promised Whitts three years ago :ayatollah: :bluebird:

I'm hearing that they were already/still in discussions for it to happen :thumbup:

Let's hope it does happen as soon as practicable and that we can persuade one of the giant teams (from home or abroad) to come to the CCS and put on a show as a fitting tribute to one of the classiest (and durable) players ever to put on a Cardiff City shirt :ayatollah:

Lets hope they do Sven, he deserves to be acknowledged for his commitment to cardiff city,also his death shouldn't be used as a reason to have a dig at tan and the committee,as some have already done.surely the club & fans together will get this done. :old: :bluebird:

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:57 pm

How many times does need saying
Whits was offered one
And he refused one saying he did not want a fuss