Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Self employed

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:20 am

Govt to pay 80% of paye employees
What about those of us that are self employed can you see the government doing something similar for us .?

Re: Self employed

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:35 am

Pembroke bluebird wrote:Govt to pay 80% of paye employees
What about those of us that are self employed can you see the government doing something similar for us .?

I guess you have not read last nights statement, perhaps you can try bbc iplayer, there is help for the self employed

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:51 am

I'm sure they'll get 80 percent of declared earnings? Plenty seem to do well off 12k a year anyway.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:03 am

At the moment we get only universal credit unless you are sick which means you can claim SSP

If you are self employed and have a rateable business premises you can claim the 10k grant

If you are a self employed director of a small limited company and pay yourself through the company you can claim the 80%

If like me you are self employed but no premises or are not a director you are effectively being put on the dole.

The morgage deferral scheme will help but after 6 weeks I will really start to struggle

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:53 am

I am self employed
Goverment spoksman said this morning it would be difficult to operate paying the self employed,
Funny how its not a problem to take my tax and NI though.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:41 pm

montyblue wrote:I am self employed
Goverment spoksman said this morning it would be difficult to operate paying the self employed,
Funny how its not a problem to take my tax and NI though.

My thoughts are to deduct 80% of my monthly average wage from my tax bill for however long we are like this when the time comes to pay my tax.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Igovernor wrote:

I guess you have not read last nights statement, perhaps you can try bbc iplayer, there is help for the self employed

I guess you read something which wasnt there .Theres no help other than universal credit.Which is very low indeed

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:06 pm

If you are a self employed director of a small limited company and pay yourself through the company you can claim the 80%

is this correct ?

didn't see this when i looked yesterday

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:47 pm

stickywicket wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

I guess you read something which wasnt there .Theres no help other than universal credit.Which is very low indeed

Self employed can only claim universal credit unless they are a director of a limited company who pays himself a basic wage whereby then they can claim the 80% wage as a employee.

If that limited company has a business premises it pays rates on then they are entitled to the 10k grant the government are offering.

That's about it for now unfortunatly

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:47 pm

There is a new benefit in the pipelines called Universal Basic Income, everybody will get a basic amount payed into their bank regardless of working status

More info
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/government-could-give-everyone-up-17947235