Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Championship conference call with radical ramifications

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:29 pm

The Championship conference call with radical ramifications for Cardiff City, Swansea City, Leeds United, West Brom and the rest

Clubs were in contact with each other on Friday to discuss the proposals, a national outlet has claimed

By Mathew Davies

Championship players could be hit with a reduction to their wages

Championship clubs may have to cut player wages to a maximum £6,000 a week as the coronavirus impact continues.

All football has been postponed until at least April 30 after football chiefs extended the original cancellation, which was due to see games return by April 4.

There is now concern that even the later date could be a conservative one, with sporting events across the globe postponed or cancelled entirely.

The Telegraph report that Championship clubs held a conference call on Friday, on which they discussed what will happen to player wages during this period of inactivity, with a wage cap now being considered.

The same publication state that many stars in the second tier earn more than £35,000 a week, which would see them take considerable cuts until the resumption of the season.

Swansea City's Andre Ayew, for example, is believed to be still on Premier League-type wages at the Liberty Stadium, meaning he would be hit hard if these proposals were implemented.

The EFL revealed this week that it was implementing a £50million fund for clubs to help with the financial struggles during the lockdown, but that money will only stretch so far.

The Telegraph add that the plan would face fierce opposition from the Professional Footballers' Association but in difficult times such as these clubs may feel they have little choice.

Leeds United have made big-money signings in recent seasons and clubs such as West Brom, Fulham and Stoke City still have Premier League squads to contend with.

Outside the riches of the Premier League, clubs in the EFL will be hit hardest if no football takes places in the coming months.

Re: The Championship conference call with radical ramificati

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:02 pm

I sorry but it is hard to be sympathetic with professional footballers who face having to get by on £6000pw during a National emergency.

I couldn't believe Andros Townsend the other day when he told TalkSport "The season had to finish (now or in the future) as there’s too much riding on it with sponsorship, TV money, players’ contracts and bonuses"

Sorry Mr. Townsend but the current situation is bankrupting businesses and leaving those sick with the virus to live on £94pw. Your f**King bonuses doesn't get anywhere near the radar. And just to make it clear your multi-million pound pay checks have gone the way of everything else up the creek without a paddle.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:33 pm

TONY BLUE WILLIAMS

well said buddy i as self employed people cancelling work don't want me anywhere near there homes and are supposed to survive on £95 a week my misses daughter and sister all lost there jobs last week.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:51 pm

montyblue wrote:TONY BLUE WILLIAMS

well said buddy i as self employed people cancelling work don't want me anywhere near there homes and are supposed to survive on £95 a week my misses daughter and sister all lost there jobs last week.

Monty boy, I’m sorry to hear that. Must be so difficult for you and others in your position.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:46 pm

ONLY 6k a week! Ahhhh bless em! Times are changing,you spoilt f@ckers.on a side note,I do suppose some have huge mortgage payments too,but I fully understand the situation,my sister is already 3 clients down,out of 5! And expecting the other 2 to cancel sooner rather than later :sad7: EVERYONE Who is self employed are rightly very worried,if the club's dont/can't cap salaries,they will simply fold in a short space of time. :old: :bluebird:

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:07 am

montyblue wrote:TONY BLUE WILLIAMS

Monty mate my sympathy goes out to you. The self employed are the backbone of this countries economy but unfortunately they are also the most vulnerable to any national crisis.

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:58 am

Although 6k a week is a load of money it’s all relevant to your lifestyle. For example I earn a good 500% more than my best friend but he’s constantly bailing me out paying for things and lending me money. My committed outgoings take up most of my income. A big drop in my wages and I’m in the poo.

I haven’t seen any footballers moan yet about the possible cut maybe the happy to absorb it. So don’t think we should be having a going yet.