Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 07/12/20

Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:17 am

Covid-19 in Wales: Vaccinations will take months, minister says -

It could take months before some people receive a vaccine against Covid-19, according to the health minister.

Vaughan Gething called on people to avoid "going back to the old normal before the vaccine has given us the protection we need".

The first people to get the coronavirus vaccine in Wales will get the jab on Tuesday.

Front-line NHS staff and the over 80s are at the top of the list for the vaccine.

"It will take months with more than one vaccine needed to come on board before we can protect everybody," Mr Gething told BBC Radio Wales' Sunday Supplement.

"The message is there's hope so please stick with it for another few months to get us to the spring, the early summer, when we think we could have population coverage and population protection."

Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:11 am

Updated: Monday 7th December 2020

UK

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:07 am

So Sad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:12 am

I read that the UK has the most deaths per 100,000 of all the countries in the world

Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I read that the UK has the most deaths per 100,000 of all the countries in the world

I don't think we are in even in the top 10 of worst deaths per 100,000 in the world.
If you look at the picture above of worldwide deaths, then we are nowhere near as bad as Spain or Italy. France is also worse than us.

Belgium is not even on that list.

Spain which supposedly had this quick, well organised lockdown, has proven to be a complete disaster in dealing with Covid. Completely wrecked economy and death rate far ahead of the UK (per population). Their death rate (population size) is the worst in Europe.

If you look at the USA and Wales, they are also close in death rate per 100,000 population.
So careful and caring Drakeford and Gethin have really messed up and should be held accountable.

Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:02 pm

Coronavirus levels could soon reach catastrophic levels in the Swansea Bay area unless people follow the rules on social distancing during the Christmas season, a health expert has warned.

Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I read that the UK has the most deaths per 100,000 of all the countries in the world

no mate...in order its Belgium...Peru....Italy.. Spain ...UK...

Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:20 pm

For 2nd time they've threatened us with another lockdown before the present one is finished? They've balsed it up however you cut it... the mixing of too many different families indoors (not at pub though) is main reason for spike according to one expert along with not getting firebreak right during and after it...

Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:37 pm

glas wrote:

I don't think we are in even in the top 10 of worst deaths per 100,000 in the world.
If you look at the picture above of worldwide deaths, then we are nowhere near as bad as Spain or Italy. France is also worse than us.

Spain which supposedly had this quick, well organised lockdown, has proven to be a complete disaster in dealing with Covid. Completely wrecked economy and death rate far ahead of the UK (per population). Their death rate (population size) is the worst in Europe.

If you look at the USA and Wales, they are also close in death rate per 100,000 population.
So careful and caring Drakeford and Gethin have really messed up and should be held accountable.

A lot of truth in that comment

Also of Spain actually reported deaths like others in Europe then they would be way ahead of the UK

Spain official numbers are false S and many other countries . At least the UK has been consistent in its death reporting

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:04 pm

glas wrote:

we are 5th if you exclude very small countries.... and all 5 locked down hard ..i know ours was not as stringent as italy and spain but was more so than most... ..did not work and should never have followed what were very very clear spikes in those countries following locking down...

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 08/12/20

Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:03 am

Covid: Wales only part of UK without falling coronavirus rates -

Wales' health minister has warned there could be further restrictions after Christmas as Covid cases continue to rise.

Vaughan Gething said Wales was the only part of the UK where figures were not falling at the end of November.

Mr Gething confirmed ministers were looking at whether further measures would be needed.

At a press conference he said choices made by the public would determine how many die from the virus.

It comes as officials in Swansea Bay warned case levels could soon reach "catastrophic levels" unless people follow social distancing rules.

Meanwhile the Welsh Conservatives called for "detailed plans" for how the Welsh Government would deal with the rising cases.

Plaid Cymru's Adam Price said the Welsh Government was struggling to communicate to the public.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:41 pm

UPDATED: Tuesday 8th December 2020

United Kingdom

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:13 pm

Covid: Deaths in Wales 'above worst case scenario' -

The number of people in Wales dying with Covid-19 is above the worst case scenario, Welsh Government advisers have said.

The Swansea University projection has been exceeded in recent weeks, the Technical Advisory Group said.

It comes as ministers are considering whether new restrictions will be needed after Christmas to tackle rising cases.

However the Welsh Government has been accused of losing control and lacking a strategy by opposition parties.

Wales, which had a 17-day firebreak lockdown in October and November, saw its case rate overtake England's on 23 November.

But First Minister Mark Drakeford suggested further restrictions are unlikely before the festive period.

A controversial ban on alcohol sale in pubs and restaurants was brought in last Friday.

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 09/12/20

Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:40 am

I've booked a hotel in Bridgend for the weekend and am looking forward to seeing my 86 year old mother (I would normally reside in her house), for the 1st time in 6 months......I've been led to believe that my position is legal at the moment.......but quite frankly, I'll be doing it whatever.

The rules and regs of this DipShit are at best hard to interpret, at worst just dictorial with no plan and no reason.

See you in Court........ :bluebird:

Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:35 am

TheHangedMan wrote:I've booked a hotel in Bridgend for the weekend and am looking forward to seeing my 86 year old mother (I would normally reside in her house), for the 1st time in 6 months......I've been led to believe that my position is legal at the moment.......but quite frankly, I'll be doing it whatever.

The rules and regs of this DipShit are at best hard to interpret, at worst just dictorial with no plan and no reason.

See you in Court........ :bluebird:

The lack of REAL leadership, REAL decision-making and REAL guidance from the (so called) top man and his wannabe puppet is bordering on the criminal; Wales is now officially the worst part of the UK for Covid-19

My utter disdain for WAG as an entity is not to be denied but I would expect any 'leader' and aspiring 'leader' to make a decision that doesn't take us backwards at a rapid rate

I sincerely hope your reunion with your mother is a good one; just stay safe and enjoy :ayatollah:

Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:37 pm

First they say covid is worse than worst case scenario! They then say looking at new restrictions because rate so high....now reduced isolation to 10 days!! Now drakeford says covid not out of control? Rates rising every day According to news and his experts ..... no wonder people dont have a clue what is actually happening when he is contradicting other officials doesn't he speak to them or more importantly do they speak to him? :shock:

Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:16 am

pembroke allan wrote:First they say covid is worse than worst case scenario! They then say looking at new restrictions because rate so high....now reduced isolation to 10 days!! Now drakeford says covid not out of control? Rates rising every day According to news and his experts ..... no wonder people dont have a clue what is actually happening when he is contradicting other officials doesn't he speak to them or more importantly do they speak to him? :shock:

Spot On Allan - This lot have not got a clue - Firebreak !! 2 weeks ...Did not work should have been longer .. Now -

Neath Port Talbot still has the highest case rate in Wales but it has risen sharply to 693.6 per 100,000.

In recent days, according to comparable figures, it has had the worst case rate in the UK.

Seven of its communities are in the highest 20 places for localised case rates in Wales, with Aberdulais and Resolven the second highest in Wales on 1,418 cases per 100,000 with 97 positive tests in the past week.

The county is also one of four council areas with positivity rates above 20%.

The World Health Organisation has recommended the positivity proportion of tests should be no more than 5% before areas come out of restrictions.

Public health officials have already warned Covid rates could soon reach "catastrophic levels" unless people in the Swansea Bay area followed the rules on social distancing over Christmas.

Caerau, near Maesteg, has the highest localised case rate - 1,779.9 per 100,000 - for the past seven days, with 126 cases. The wider Bridgend county has also reached its highest case rate.

Newport, with its case rate increasing rapidly and beyond 500, is another which has reached its highest case rate yet, while Cardiff passed 400 cases per 100,000 for the first time.

Although comparatively lower, Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire and Monmouthshire are among others witnessing their highest rates since the pandemic began.

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 10/12/20

Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:27 pm

Covid Wales: Secondary schools 'move online' from Monday -

All secondary schools and further education colleges in Wales will move classes online from Monday, the education minister has announced.

Kirsty Williams said it was part of a "national effort to reduce transmission of coronavirus".

However, the Children's Commissioner for Wales has criticised the decision as disruptive to education.

A number of counties have also said primary schools will close earlier, including Cardiff and Swansea.

Ms Williams said it was important to take a "clear, national direction" to ease the pressure from schools, colleges, local councils and parents and carers.

"Every day, we are seeing more and more people admitted to hospital with coronavirus symptoms," she added.

"The virus is putting our health service under significant and sustained pressure and it is important we all make a contribution to reduce its transmission."

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 10/12/20

Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:50 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Covid Wales: Secondary schools 'move online' from Monday -

All secondary schools and further education colleges in Wales will move classes online from Monday, the education minister has announced.

Kirsty Williams said it was part of a "national effort to reduce transmission of coronavirus".

However, the Children's Commissioner for Wales has criticised the decision as disruptive to education.

A number of counties have also said primary schools will close earlier, including Cardiff and Swansea.

Ms Williams said it was important to take a "clear, national direction" to ease the pressure from schools, colleges, local councils and parents and carers.

"Every day, we are seeing more and more people admitted to hospital with coronavirus symptoms," she added.

"The virus is putting our health service under significant and sustained pressure and it is important we all make a contribution to reduce its transmission."

Not many will take notice of the advice, that this period is for people to self isolate, in order to reduce the inevitable surge of transmissions between Dec 23rd and 27th.

Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:21 pm

pembroke allan wrote:First they say covid is worse than worst case scenario! They then say looking at new restrictions because rate so high....now reduced isolation to 10 days!! Now drakeford says covid not out of control? Rates rising every day According to news and his experts ..... no wonder people dont have a clue what is actually happening when he is contradicting other officials doesn't he speak to them or more importantly do they speak to him? :shock:

its a shambles mate... im not a supporter of lockdowns / firebreaks... but if we are going to have them they should at least be consistent with whats happening.. it just seems knee jerk guesses ...

Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:41 am

skidemin wrote:

its a shambles mate... im not a supporter of lockdowns / firebreaks... but if we are going to have them they should at least be consistent with whats happening.. it just seems knee jerk guesses ...

I'm with you in this,at least be consistent,in truth not many I know believed the firebreak would be effective enough,I am no fan either,but the nonsense that just keeps falling from this guy's mouth!!
Was reading yesterday,some envoy to China, was saying if they (chinese) had acted earlier,then around 90%of infections around the world wouldn't have happened!! Instead they allowed free travel (worldwide inc) during Chinese new year,thus spreading it far and wide,if they had just banned international travel,we would not be locked away all the f@cking time.
We in this country were no better though,after allowing around a million and a half people in and out of Gatwick alone,all untested people,travelling freely?? And yet even when it was recorded here,people still travelled abroad,and say "well it was deemed safe to do so" which is all very well,if you did travel,and felt absolutely fine, there is nothing to say you couldnt have been infected,but are like the many,showed or felt no signs, but could very well spread it??
Perhaps all unnecessary flights should have been banned for a year, and all the money spent so far,could have helped keep airlines afloat. :old: :bluebird:

Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:03 am

bluesince62 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I'm with you in this,at least be consistent,in truth not many I know believed the firebreak would be effective enough,I am no fan either,but the nonsense that just keeps falling from this guy's mouth!!
Was reading yesterday,some envoy to China, was saying if they (chinese) had acted earlier,then around 90%of infections around the world wouldn't have happened!! Instead they allowed free travel (worldwide inc) during Chinese new year,thus spreading it far and wide,if they had just banned international travel,we would not be locked away all the f@cking time.
We in this country were no better though,after allowing around a million and a half people in and out of Gatwick alone,all untested people,travelling freely?? And yet even when it was recorded here,people still travelled abroad,and say "well it was deemed safe to do so" which is all very well,if you did travel,and felt absolutely fine, there is nothing to say you couldnt have been infected,but are like the many,showed or felt no signs, but could very well spread it??
Perhaps all unnecessary flights should have been banned for a year, and all the money spent so far,could have helped keep airlines afloat. :old: :bluebird:

In fairness majority of people using airports were in transit going home coming home... the exceptions was obviously holiday flights which was absolutely stupidity by holiday companies and gvmnt for allowing anyone to go on leasure trips... lots of countries stopped pleasure tourists even their own people from entering country as well in an effort to stop covid spreading....just wonder if lessons have been learnt for any future pandemics? One thing would review is the use of so called experts lots were in it for the money and gave bad advice which kept corvid going longer than nessasary after all dsome were making 7k a day off the gvmnt a very good incentive to keep virus spreading! :o

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 11/12/20

Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:16 pm

UPDATED:

Friday 11th December 2020

UK

424 New Deaths

Now over 63,000 deaths

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 12/12/20

Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Covid: Christmas five-day relaxation period 'a mistake' -

Loosening Covid restrictions across the UK over Christmas is a "mistake," a public health expert has said.

Edinburgh University's Prof Linda Bauld said there was concern about people travelling from "high to low prevalence areas" to see their loved ones.

Wales' Health Minister Vaughan Gething said changes would cause "huge issues about trust", but could happen if case rates stayed high.

The UK has recorded another 519 deaths within 28 days of a positive test.

The latest government figures also include 21,502 new positive cases in the UK, taking the total number in the past seven days to 124,988.

On Saturday, the number of positive Covid tests in Wales surpassed 100,000, one day after the country reported its highest case rates since the pandemic began.

Up to three households can stay together and form a "Christmas bubble" from 23 to 27 December, as agreed by all four UK nations.

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 13/12/20

Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:12 pm

Covid: Health board sees 'alarming' rise in cases -

Coronavirus cases in one part of Wales are increasing at an "alarming rate", a health board has said.

Aneurin Bevan health board said its hospitals were under "significant" pressure due to Covid patient numbers.

It had already announced it would be halting outpatient appointments and non-urgent planned surgery from Monday.

The stark warning comes as First Minister Mark Drakeford said Wales' NHS was in danger of becoming the "national coronavirus service".

On Saturday, the day the number of positive Covid-19 tests passed 100,000 in Wales, the family of Ted Edwards, 73, from Monmouthshire, said they were "really concerned" after he spent more than 19 hours in an ambulance outside the Grange University Hospital in Cwmbran.

The Welsh Ambulance Service said it was "facing high demand" across the country "with acute pressure" around the hospital leading to "some long delays with patients on our ambulances".

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 14/12/20

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:07 pm

16,500 covid patients in hospital in UK.

Massive amount but spread out how many per hospital is this?

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:16,500 covid patients in hospital in UK.

Massive amount but spread out how many per hospital is this?

not sure. .but there are 223 NHS trusts and some have as many as 8 or 9 hospitals within them...

Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:02 pm

Not belittling but 223 trusts is about 74 covid patients per hospital...and that's if each Trust only has 1 hospital.

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 15/12/20

Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:54 am

Covid: Christmas coronavirus rules easing 'makes no sense' -

The Christmas relaxation of lockdown rules "makes no sense" as Covid-19 cases continue to rise in Wales, doctors have warned.

The Welsh Intensive Care Society also wants an "urgent" lockdown across Wales before Christmas, warning critical care would be unable to cope without urgent action.

It comes after the number of positive Covid-19 tests passed 100,000 in Wales

Wales' health minister Vaughan Gething has said "nothing is off the table".

But Mr Gething fears people would "make up their own rules" if meeting up over Christmas was banned.

Wales has the highest Covid-19 infection rate in the UK - a seven-day average of 425 cases per 100,000 - and eight of the UK's top 10 worst infected areas are in Wales with Merthyr Tydfil, Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend the top three.

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:00 am

Big Hill Blue wrote:Not belittling but 223 trusts is about 74 covid patients per hospital...and that's if each Trust only has 1 hospital.

not sure but think i heard the figure 120k bed capacity which if accurate means 14% are covid..