UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 29/10/22

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 22/10/21

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:50 pm

Covid: UK cases top 50,000 for first time in three months -

More than 50,000 Covid cases have been recorded in the UK for the first time since 17 July.

Amid calls for more restrictions, Boris Johnson urged people to come forward for booster jabs when their time comes.

The prime minister said those who become eligible for a third dose of vaccine should organise an appointment straight away.

The UK recorded 52,009 new Covid cases on Thursday - alongside 115 deaths within 28 days of a positive test.

Mr Johnson said, despite high cases, the government was "continuing with its plan" and that things were much better now than a year ago.

He said that was in large part thanks to the rollout of the vaccine, which has weakened the link between cases, hospitalisations and deaths.

Reported cases on 17 July were 54,674 and came several weeks after more households could mix together and indoor hospitality resumed.

Doctors are demanding ministers trigger England's "Plan B" - which would reimpose rules such as mandatory face masks and working from home advice.
TopCat CCFC

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 22/10/21

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 25/10/21

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:28 pm

Covid passes: Ministers consider widening use in Wales -

Welsh ministers are set to consider whether to extend the use of Covid passes for a wider range of venues.

The health minister said the government would be "thinking about" the change because they are "hugely" concerned about the high levels of Covid-19.

The move is being considered after compulsory NHS Covid passes were introduced for people to legally attend big events or nightclubs in Wales.

Plaid Cymru wants rules tightened. The Tories are against more restrictions.

Wales' Covid-19 case rate is the highest of all the UK nations.

Speaking on the BBC Politics Wales programme, Health Minister Eluned Morgan said the high levels of transmission were putting pressure on public services.

"People are having to take time off to deal with coronavirus because they may get sick, it's putting pressure on the health service because some of our staff are also suffering," she said.

The Welsh government will review the Covid-19 rules this coming week ahead of an announcement on Friday.
TopCat CCFC

Postby Sven » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:37 pm

Blaenau Gwent and Neath Port Talbot the highest rates (%) in the UK right now with a 23% increase :o

They think it's all over; it isn't now...! :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby MR BIRCHGROVE » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:43 pm

Sven wrote:Blaenau Gwent and Neath Port Talbot the highest rates (%) in the UK right now with a 23% increase :o

Quite right it isn't....so many people walking around crowded shops in Cardiff Centre without masks last week, not helping the cause. In addition, school kids spreading it like butter.
I can only imagine they either think it has all gone away, or no longer give a s-it!
MR BIRCHGROVE

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 26/10/21

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:08 pm

Covid: Concern at people behaving as if pandemic is over -

Some people behaving as if the Covid pandemic is over by ignoring Wales' face mask laws and not social distancing is worrying health chiefs.

Wales' case rate is at a record high 716.9 per 100,000 people - the highest of all the UK nations.

It has led ministers to look at extending Covid passes to more venues.

Wales' chief medical officer accepted people had tired of Covid, but warned being tired was "better than being dead".

Dr Frank Atherton thought extending passes may be of marginal help and urged the public to do their bit.

"A very significant proportion of the Welsh population is still behaving with extreme caution and realises that we are not out of the woods with this yet, but there is a sense in other places that it is all over," he told BBC Wales Breakfast.

"When we see people not using face coverings, even though it's a legal requirement to do so, that worries me.
TopCat CCFC

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 27/10/21

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:36 pm

Covid rates in Wales hit new record high :o

Covid rates in Wales have hit another new record high, according to health officials.

Figures published on Tuesday showed a rate of 719.9 cases for every 100,000 people over the last seven days.

The number of Covid cases in Wales remains the highest infection rate of all the UK nations.

But one of the heads of Public Health Wales said he felt the levels of infection were beginning to slow.

"We are looking at fairly high rates compared to other times in the pandemic response," accepted Dr Fu-Meng Khaw, who is the national director of health protection at PHW. "But I feel that we are plateauing."

He said the daily number of cases in Wales stood between 2,500 and 3,000 new infections.

Dr Khaw said all the models looking at the latest wave of Covid suggested it would begin to fall in the near future, despite the current high levels.

"I am confident that over the coming weeks we will start seeing a drop," he told BBC Wales :roll: :roll: :roll:
TopCat CCFC

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 28/10/21

Postby ffs » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:42 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... y-suggests

Bit late now after 80% of the population has been coerced into taking it
ffs

Postby maccydee » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:51 pm

ffs wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/28/covid-vaccinated-likely-unjabbed-infect-cohabiters-study-suggests

Did you read the article?

Less chance of catching it.

If you do catch it equal chance of spreading it.

However, If you do catch it far less chance of severe illness or dying.

80% have made a good choice.
maccydee

Postby Sven » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:12 pm

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:
Sven wrote:Blaenau Gwent and Neath Port Talbot the highest rates (%) in the UK right now with a 23% increase :o

Quite right it isn't....so many people walking around crowded shops in Cardiff Centre without masks last week, not helping the cause. In addition, school kids spreading it like butter.
I can only imagine they either think it has all gone away, or no longer give a s-it!

No longer? I'm not sure far too many ever did...! :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Sven » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:22 pm

ffs wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/28/covid-vaccinated-likely-unjabbed-infect-cohabiters-study-suggests

Coerced? Conned? Implanted? Indoctrinated? Watched?

I guess all those words (and more) cross the (small) minds of people who talk like you...?

Do some proper research, listen to the evidence and realise that to a large extent the vaccine has worked

Clearly, the scientists and medics are still learning about certain aspects but the real evidence (not the conspiracist) shows that whilst the contamination rate is rising in line with the return of schools and cold weather, the hospiralisation and death rates are massively below the rates of 12 months ago

No one minds you having an opinion, but ffs get a grip and come into the real world where people need both help and togetherness to overcome this wretched disease

I really do despair when I read some posts on here...! :?
Sven

Postby ffs » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:15 am

maccydee wrote:

Cool. But there was literally zero point of those under the age of 60 or those who didn’t have serious health conditions, in taking the risk of having the injection!
ffs

Postby Sven » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:42 am

ffs wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Cool. But there was literally zero point of those under the age of 60 or those who didn’t have serious health conditions, in taking the risk of having the injection!

Absolute rubbish; and you know it...! :roll:

You are surely on a wind-up here! :oops:

Why, I don't know; but I guess hiding behind the anonymity of your electronic device emboldens you to talk complete b###@##s! :roll: :oops:

ffs? You certainly got that bit right...! :banghead:
Sven

Postby Igovernor » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:07 am

Chris apperently the government UK figure of 50,000 is underestimated, according to this article it is nearer 100,000

Britain is 'worryingly close' to recording 100,000 new Covid infections per day, the country's largest symptom-tracking study warned today despite Government data showing the outbreak is in retreat.

King's College London researchers estimated there were 92,953 people falling ill with the virus each day across the UK last

Cases are rising across all age groups for the first time, with under-18s still making up the majority of cases after the back-to-school wave, with nearly 44,000 infected on any given day.

But there was also uptick in the rate of increase in 55 to 75-year-olds, the more vulnerable age groups, which increases the urgency for booster jabs, the researchers said.

Professor Tim Spector, the epidemiologist who leads the study, warned that the Government's figures were a 'big underestimate' and may be missing 40 per cent of cases.

It came as Sir Patrick Vallance today called on Boris Johnson to go 'hard and early' and reimpose Covid restrictions at the first sign of infections rebounding in the UK.

Ministers have insisted they will only move to Plan B if the NHS comes under 'unsustainable' pressure, with one senior source claiming that there was a 'less than 20 per cent' chance they will need to bring curbs back.

The latest survey figures from King's College were based on estimates from around 43,000 lateral flow and PCR tests done between October 9 and October 23. It relies on people coming forward to report their result, which experts say makes it susceptible to bias.

The Department of Health's daily reports only include cases confirmed by a PCR test — which are more reliable than lateral flow devices. They showed new infections fell for the fourth day in a row yesterday, dropping 10.6 per cent to 43,941.

Professor Spector's results cover the period when cases fell slightly in children, but not the most recent four days when infections fell across the country.
Igovernor

Postby maccydee » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:07 am

ffs wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Was there though? No one under 60 with no health conditions has died then?
Ffs ffs what planet are you on?
maccydee

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 29/10/21

Postby MR BIRCHGROVE » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:48 pm

Can't help but snigger at the clowns who still query the worth of the vaccine at any age when all reports are clear that 'the vaccination against covid is crucial against preventing severe disease and death.'
The question of whether the vaccine helps prevent you catching the virus in the first place or passing it on therefore only becomes a secondary concern, when it comes to the good probability of prevention to losing your life.
MR BIRCHGROVE

Postby Sven » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:54 pm

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:Can't help but snigger at the clowns who still query the worth of the vaccine at any age when all reports are clear that 'the vaccination against covid is crucial against preventing severe disease and death.'
The question of whether the vaccine helps prevent you catching the virus in the first place or passing it on therefore only becomes a secondary concern, when it comes to the good probability of prevention to losing your life.

Yep! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sadly, it appears some of these people think they are invincible...

No issue with them not having the vaccine and if they contract it they can go somewhere quiet to suffer rather than admit they got it massively wrong...

It's when their pig-ignorance and disregard affects other (more) innocent parties to the point they can potentially die from the non-actions of others... :evil:
Sven

Postby TheHangedMan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:11 pm

Sven wrote:It's when their pig-ignorance and disregard affects other (more) innocent parties to the point they can potentially die from the non-actions of others... :evil:

Chris, please can you explain this line to me please as I must be pig-ignorant and admittedly confused! :?

I think it's widely accepted that the vaccine does not stop the recepient catching or passing on the virus. Assuming you accept this, how are non vaccinated people causing greater risk to "innocent parties".

I must admit you have baffled me Sir. :bluebird:
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby Sven » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:21 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
Sven wrote:It's when their pig-ignorance and disregard affects other (more) innocent parties to the point they can potentially die from the non-actions of others... :evil:

Chris, please can you explain this line to me please as I must be pig-ignorant and admittedly confused! :?

I think it's widely accepted that the vaccine does not stop the recepient catching or passing on the virus. Assuming you accept this, how are non vaccinated people causing greater risk to "innocent parties".

Jim, I'm not going to adjust the post but I will apologise for parts of it... :thumbright:

I simply meant that there are people (not all) out there who have such a disregard for the effects they might have an effect on others health

It is an emotive subject for me, as both a Long Covid suffer and someone who has lost close ones

There are certainly people who neither care of think about others outside their own heads and I witness it every time I go out of the door. those people, IMHO, are pig-ignorant but I should not have herded several groups into one and for that I apologise to you (and certain others) :thumbright:
Sven

Postby ffs » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:58 pm

Sven wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

Jim, I'm not going to adjust the post but I will apologise for parts of it... :thumbright:

I simply meant that there are people (not all) out there who have such a disregard for the effects they might have an effect on others health

It is an emotive subject for me, as both a Long Covid suffer and someone who has lost close ones

There are certainly people who neither care of think about others outside their own heads and I witness it every time I go out of the door. those people, IMHO, are pig-ignorant but I should not have herded several groups into one and for that I apologise to you (and certain others) :thumbright:

Apology accepted
ffs

Postby ffs » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:02 pm

maccydee wrote:
ffs wrote:
maccydee wrote:

A minuscule percentage of cases. Around 500 I'd say
ffs

Postby maccydee » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:16 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:

Reduces the chances by a lot though.
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:17 pm

ffs wrote:
maccydee wrote:
ffs wrote:
maccydee wrote:

A minuscule percentage of cases. Around 500 I'd say

It was around that 1 feb. Higher now I’d imagine.

That was pre delta variant too.
Attachments
F7CBADF9-F29B-498C-97A4-BB2C3D804C86.png
F7CBADF9-F29B-498C-97A4-BB2C3D804C86.png (617.16 KiB) Viewed 3463 times
maccydee

Postby TheHangedMan » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:15 pm

Sven wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

No problem Chris, and sorry to hear that you are still suffering and also for your lost ones.

I think you've nailed it when you stated that it is an emotive subject. It is for most people whether they have had the jab or not. As we all know, when emotions run high clarity of thought and judgement suffer as a consequence.

I believe this to be true on both sides of the argument, and argument is the right word because it appears nobody can actually have a reasoned debate on this divisive topic.

Anyways, have a good weekend mate and I hope your symptoms alleviate soon. :thumbright: :bluebird:
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby Bluebina » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:33 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
Sven wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

No problem Chris, and sorry to hear that you are still suffering and also for your lost ones.

I think you've nailed it when you stated that it is an emotive subject. It is for most people whether they have had the jab or not. As we all know, when emotions run high clarity of thought and judgement suffer as a consequence.

I believe this to be true on both sides of the argument, and argument is the right word because it appears nobody can actually have a reasoned debate on this divisive topic.

Anyways, have a good weekend mate and I hope your symptoms alleviate soon. :thumbright: :bluebird:

Very emotive, as it looks like an increase in cases could lead to vaccine passports in pubs, this is announced the day before one of the biggest super spreader events in Wales for the year ?
Bluebina

Postby Sven » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:08 pm

TheHangedMan wrote:
Sven wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:

Thanks, Jim; agree and respect to you, as always :thumbup:

Same wishes back to you and something from the Stoke game other than a loss would make it a good one!:ayatollah:
Sven

Re: UPDATED DAILY : UK CORONAVIRUS - UPDATED 30/10/21

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:13 pm

Covid: Wales' restrictions could return to save Christmas -

Scrapped Covid rules could be brought back to allow Wales to have a "normal" Christmas, First Minister Mark Drakeford has warned.

New measures are already being brought in to tackle Wales' high Covid rates - the worst in the UK.

Covid passes will be extended to cinemas, theatres and concert halls from 15 November as part of the plans.

Pubs, restaurants and cafes might also require passes if infections climb, amid a "wider repertoire of actions".

The passes show whether someone has been fully vaccinated or whether they have had a negative lateral flow test in the past 48 hours.

Obtained online, they are already required for nightclubs and many large events.

At Friday's coronavirus briefing, Mr Drakeford said about 2,000 cases of a new and possibly more transmissible form of the Delta variant had been identified in Wales.

The infection rate in Wales is currently the highest it has ever been, and the highest in the UK.
TopCat CCFC

Postby TheHangedMan » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:23 am

Here we go again, Drakeford on a power grab, but this time he cannot furlough workers, paid for by the UK Govt., so has to bring in draconian measures that he is legally able to claim and try to enforce.

When are people going to realise that this is a virus, by definition it cannot be curtailed. These idiot politicians keep kicking the can down the road and are not facing reality.

But somehow they mange to persuade us stupid plebiscites that they know what is right.

Most of you won't bother to read this but this is the success story in Florida (circa 18m citizens).

https://nypost.com/2021/10/28/florida-g ... -covid-19/

It's not rocket science. :bluebird:
TheHangedMan

Postby maccydee » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:46 am

TheHangedMan wrote:Here we go again, Drakeford on a power grab, but this time he cannot furlough workers, paid for by the UK Govt., so has to bring in draconian measures that he is legally able to claim and try to enforce.

When are people going to realise that this is a virus, by definition it cannot be curtailed. These idiot politicians keep kicking the can down the road and are not facing reality.

But somehow they mange to persuade us stupid plebiscites that they know what is right.

Most of you won't bother to read this but this is the success story in Florida (circa 18m citizens).

Very interesting albeit helped with the climate in Florida.

But yep, we need to face it sometime not hide from it forever. Vaccines are the saving grace.
maccydee

Postby Igovernor » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:19 am

maccydee wrote:
TheHangedMan wrote:Here we go again, Drakeford on a power grab, but this time he cannot furlough workers, paid for by the UK Govt., so has to bring in draconian measures that he is legally able to claim and try to enforce.

Very interesting albeit helped with the climate in Florida.

But yep, we need to face it sometime not hide from it forever. Vaccines are the saving grace.

Also Arizona is low and its pretty hot there too.
They had shutdowns and masks, so to me its the hot weather that is a lot to do with the infection, hospitalizations and death rates!
Igovernor

Postby MR BIRCHGROVE » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:44 pm

I took the time to read the report about Florida's Ron DeSantis and listened to one or two of his recent news bulletins.

He seems to be fully onboard with the U.S.A. vaccination programme, quoting the massive reduction in mortality despite many people fully vaccinated continuing to test positive; although he obviously opposes the Whitehouse policy of attempting certain workers to require compulsory vaccination. He states that 75% of over 50's are fully vaccinated.
He has also admitted that positive numbers are likely to increase in the Winter months. (obviously Florida has a warm outdoors climate throughout their long summer)

In the U.K. we also have disagreement between Boris Johnsons Tories against the Labour policy led by Mark Drakeford.

Boris is trying to hold off implementing 'Plan B' restrictions, whereas Mr Drakeford seems content to increase our current restrictions in Wales as numbers increase.

Some agree with one while others prefer the alternative. But in all instances, including Ron DeSantis, they all agree that vaccination is essential. ;)
MR BIRCHGROVE

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat